- Volume 19 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Cultured Wild-Ginseng Root and Xylitol on Fermentation of Kimchi
- Lee, Kun-Jong (Department of Food and Nutrition, Soongeui Women's College,) ;
- Sung, Jung-Min (Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Kwon, Yong-Suk (National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Chung, Heajung (International Culture Foundation of Korean Food, Jeonju University)
- Received : 2013.10.29
- Accepted : 2013.12.06
- Published : 2014.03.31
This study evaluates the effects of cultured wild ginseng root (0.05%, 0.1% v/w) and xylitol in kimchi. The fermented characteristics of kimchi were investigated during 28 days of fermentation at
- Lee HO, Lee HJ, Woo SJ. 1994. Effect of cooked glutinous rice flour and soused shrimp on the changes of free amino acid, total vitamin C and ascorbic acid contents during kimchi fermentation. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 10: 225-231.
- Kim HY, Kim BC, Kim MR. 2001. Physicochemical and sensory properties of Kakdugi added with various thickening agents during fermentation. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 30:1060-1067.
- Blios MS. 1958. Antioxidant determination by the use of stable free radical. Nature 181: 1199-1200. https://doi.org/10.1038/1811199a0
- Kim HR, Kim MR. 2010. Effect of traditional salt on the quality characteristics and growth of microorganism from kimchi. Korean J Food Culture 25: 61-69.
- Park HO, Sohn CY. 2009. Effect of sweeteners on the quality properties of kakdugi. Korean J Food Nutr 22: 443-448.
- Moon SW, Jang MS. 2004. Effect of xylitol on the taste and fermentation of dongchimi. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 20: 42-48.
- Lee KJ, Kim HY. 2011. The physico-chemical and sensory characteristics of kakdoogi containing Hydrangea serrata SERINGE extract. Korean J Community Living Sci 22: 211-222. https://doi.org/10.7856/kjcls.2011.22.2.211
- Hong MH, Lim HK, Park JE, Jun NJ, Lee YJ, Cho M, Kim SM. 2008. The antihypertensive and vasodilating effects of adventitious root extracts of wild ginseng. J Korean Soc Appl Biol Chem 51: 102-107. https://doi.org/10.3839/jabc.2008.017
- Kwon MJ, Chun JH, Song YS, Song YO. 1999. Daily kimchi consumption and its hypolipidemic effect in middle-aged men. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 28: 1144-1150.
- Lee YO, Park KY, Cheigh HS. 1996. Antioxidative effect of kimchi various fermetation period on the lipid oxidation of cooked ground meat. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 25: 261-266.
- Mo EK, Kim SM, Yun BS, Yang SA, JeGal SA, Choi YS, Ly SY, Sung CK. 2010. Quality properties of baechu kimchi treated with black Panax ginseng extracts during fermentation at low temperature. Korean J Food Preserv 17: 182-189.
- Ku KH, Cho JS, Park WS, Nam YJ. 1999. Effects of sorbitol and sugar sources on the fermentation and sensory properties of baechu kimchi. Korean J Food Sci Technol 31: 794-801.
- Scheie AA, Fejerskov O, Danielsen B. 1998. The effects of xylitol-containing chewing gums on dental plaque and acidogenic potential. J Dent Res 77: 1547-1552. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345980770071001
- Kim DK, Kim SY, Lee JK, Noh BS. 2000. Effects of xylose and xylitol on the organic acid fermentation of kimchi. Korean J Food Technol 32: 889-895.
- Moon SW, Shin HK, Gi GE. 2003. Effects of xylitol and grapefruit seed extract on sensory value and fermentation of baechu kimchi. Korean J Food Sci Technol 35: 246-253.
- Chae MH, Jhon DY. 2007. Effects of commercial fructooligosaccharides on bifidobacteria kimchi fermentaion. Korean J Food Sci Technol 39: 61-65.
- Li H, Lee JH, Ha JM. 2008. Effective purification of ginsenosides from cultured wild ginseng roots, red ginseng, and white ginseng with macroporous resins. J Microbiol Biotechnol 18: 1789-1791 https://doi.org/10.4014/jmb.0800.192
- Jeong HS, Kang TS, Woo KS, Paek KY, Yu KW, Yang SJ. 2005. Effects of cultured wild ginseng roots on the alcoholic fermentation. Korean J Food Preserv 12: 402-410.
- Jung BM, Kim SM, Jung HJ, Lee KJ, Han GS, Park HP, Park GW. 2011. Kimchi containing cultured wild ginseng root and xylitol. Korean Patent 10-1038752.
- Lee HG, Lee IS, Oh SR, Kim DS, Jung GY, Kim JH. 2001. Antagonists for platelet-activating factor receptor binding, comprising (20S)-ginsenoside Rg3 and/or ginsenoside Rg5. Korean Patent 10-0302064.
- Han KY, Noh BS. 1996. Characterization of Chinese cabbage during soaking in sodium chloride solution. Korean J Food Sci Technol 28: 707-713.
- Miller GL. 1959. Use of dinitrosalicylic acid reagent for determination of reducing sugar. Anal Chem 31: 426-428. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac60147a030
- Hawer WD, Ha JH, Seo HN, Nam YJ, Shin DW. 1998. Changes in the taste and flavour compounds of kimchi during fermentation. Korean J Food Sci Technol 20: 511-517.
- Hahn YS, Oh JY, Kim YJ. 2002. Characteristics of low-salt kimchi prepared with salt replacement during fermentation. Korean J Food Sci Technol 34: 647-651.
- Jang SY, Jeong YJ. 2005. Effect of chitosan-liquid calcium addition on the quality of kimchi during fermentation. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 34: 715-720. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2005.34.5.715
- Choi EJ, Cho SH. 2009. Effects of onion and pear on kimchi quality characteristics during fermentation. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 25: 243-251.
- Born P, Zech J, Stark M, Classen M, Lorenz R. 1994. Carbohydrate substitutes: comparative study of intestinal absorption of fructose, sorbitol and xylitol. Med Klin (Munich) 89: 575-578.
- Changes in Nutritional Composition and Physicochemical Properties of Mustard Leaf (Brassica juncea) Kimchi during Fermentation vol.29, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2016.29.5.706