- Volume 19 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Extraction and Processing Methods on Antioxidant Compound Contents and Radical Scavenging Activities of Laver (Porphyra tenera)
- Hwang, Eun-Sun (Department of Nutrition and Culinary Science, Hankyong National University) ;
- Nhuan, Do Thi (Department of Nutrition and Culinary Science, Hankyong National University)
- Received : 2014.02.07
- Accepted : 2014.03.17
- Published : 2014.03.31
Laver is one of the most consumed edible red algae seaweeds in the genus Porphyra. Laver is primarily prepared in the form of dried, roasted, and seasoned products. We investigated the total polyphenol and flavonoid contents of laver products, and evaluated the in vitro antioxidant properties of solvent extracts from commercially processed laver products. Significant differences in the concentration of phenolic compounds were found among differently processed laver. The total phenolic content for laver extracts ranged from 10.81 mg gallic acid equivalent (GAE)/g extract to 32.14 mg GAE/g extract, depending on extraction solvent and temperature. Laver extracts contained very few flavonoids (0.55 mg catechin equivalent/g extracts to 1.75 mg catechin equivalent/g extracts). 2,2-Diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH), 2,2'-azino-bis-3-ethylbenzothiazoline-6-sulphonic acid (ABTS), hydroxyl radical, and superoxide anion scavenging assays were used to determine the radical scavenging capacities of laver extracts. These assays revealed that the processing method and extraction condition affected the antioxidant potentials of laver. Antioxidant activity of dried laver, roasted laver, and seasoned laver increased in a concentration-dependent manner (
- Namiki M. 1990. Antioxidants/antimutagens in food. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 29: 273-300. https://doi.org/10.1080/10408399009527528
- Wang B, Li L, Chi CF, Ma JH, Luo HY, Xu YF. 2013. Purification and characterisation of a novel antioxidant peptide derived from blue mussel (Mytilus edulis) protein hydrolysate. Food Chem 138: 1713-1719. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2012.12.002
Lee BJ, Kim JS, Kang YM, Lim JH, Kim YM, Lee MS, Jeong MH, Ahn CB, Je JY. 2010. Antioxidant activity and
$\gamma$-aminobutyric acid (GABA) content in sea tangle fermented by Lactobaccillus brevis BJ20 isolated from traditional fermented foods. Food Chem 122: 271-276. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2010.02.071
- Abou-Gharbia HA, Shehata AAY, Shahidi F. 2000. Effect of processing on oxidative stability and lipid classes of sesame oil. Food Res Int 33: 331-340. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0963-9969(00)00052-1
- Konsoula Z, Liakopoulou-Kyriakides M. 2010. Effect of endogenous antioxidants of sesame seeds and sesame oil to the thermal stability of edible vegetable oils. LWT-Food Sci Technol 43: 1379-1386. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2010.04.016
- Hagerman AE. 1988. Extraction of tannin from fresh and preserved leaves. J Chem Ecol 14: 453-461. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01013897
- Heo SJ, Park EJ, Lee KW, Jeon YJ. 2005. Antioxidant activities of enzymatic extracts from brown seaweeds. Bioresour Technol 96: 1613-1623. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2004.07.013
- Koivikko R, Loponen J, Honkanen T, Jormalainen V. 2005. Contents of soluble, cell-wall-bound and exuded phlorotannins in the brown alga Fucus vesiculosus, with implications on their ecological functions. J Chem Ecol 31: 195-212. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10886-005-0984-2
- Waterman P, Mole S. 1994. Analysis of phenolic plant metabolites: Methods in ecology. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford, UK. p 66-98.
- Kallithraka S, Garcia-Viguera C, Bridle P, Bakker J. 1995. Survey of solvents for the extraction of grape seed phenolics. Phytochem Anal 6: 265-267. https://doi.org/10.1002/pca.2800060509
- Chirinos R, Rogez H, Campos D, Pedreschi R, Larondelle Y. 2007. Optimization of extraction conditions of antioxidant phenolic compounds from mashua (Tropaeolum tuberosum Ruíz & Pavón) tubers. Sep Purific Technol 55: 217-225. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seppur.2006.12.005
- Duan XJ, Zhang WW, Li XM, Wang BG. 2006. Evaluation of antioxidant property of extract and fractions obtained from a red alga, Polysiphonia urceolata. Food Chem 95: 37-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2004.12.015
- Kuda T, Tsunekawa M, Goto H, Araki Y. 2005. Antioxidant properties of four edible algae harvested in the Noto Peninsular, Japan. Japan J Food Comp Anal 18: 625-633. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2004.06.015
- Devi GK, Manivannan K, Thirumaran G, Rajathi FAA, Anantharaman P. 2011. In vitro antioxidant activities of selected seaweeds from Southeast coast of India. Asian Pac J Trop Med 26: 205-211.
- Ye H, Zhou C, Sun Y, Zhang X, Liu J, Hu Q, Zeng X. 2009. Antioxidant activities in vitro of ethanol extract from brown seaweed Sargassum pallidum. Eur Food Res Technol 230: 101-109. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00217-009-1147-4
- Chanda S, Dave R, Kaneria M, Nagani K. 2010. Seaweeds: a novel, untapped source of drugs from sea to combat infectious diseases. Curr Res Technol Edu Topics Appl Micro Biotechnol 2:473-480.
- Galland-Irmouli AV, Fleurence J, Lamghari R, Lucon M, Rouxel C, Barbaroux O, Bronowicki JP, Villaume C, Gueant JL. 1987. Nutritional value of proteins from edible seaweed Palmaria palmata (Dulse). J Nutr Biochem 10: 353-359.
- Burtin P. 2003. Nutritional value of seaweeds. Electron J Environ Agric Food Chem 2: 498-503.
- Bocanegra A, Nieto A, Blas B, Sanchez-Muniz FJ. 2003. Diets containing a high percentage of Nori or Konbu algae are well-accepted and efficiently utilised by growing rats but induce different degrees of histological changes in the liver and bowel. Food Chem Toxicol 41: 1473-1480. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0278-6915(03)00141-8
- Bocanegra A, Bastida S, Benedí J, Ródenas S, Sanchez-Muniz FJ. 2009. Characteristics and nutritional and cardiovascularhealth properties of seaweeds. J Med Food 12: 236-258. https://doi.org/10.1089/jmf.2008.0151
- Gamal-Eldeen AM, Ahmed EF, Abo-Zeid MA. 2009. In vitro cancer chemopreventive properties of polysaccharide extract from the brown alga, Sargassum latifolium. Food Chem Toxicol 47: 1378-1384. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2009.03.016
- Chung SK, Osawa T, Kawakishi S. 1997. Hydroxyl radicalscavenging effects of spices and scavengers from brown mustard (Brassica nigra). Biosci Biotech Biochem 61: 118-123. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.61.118
- Wang J, Yuan X, Jin Z, Tian Y, Song H. 2007. Free radical and reactive oxygen species scavenigng activities of peanut skins extract. Food Chem 104: 242-250. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2006.11.035
- Cho ML, Lee HS, Kang IJ, Won MH, You SG. 2011. Antioxidant properties of extract and fractions from Enteromorpha prolifera, a type of green seaweed. Food Chem 127: 999-1006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2011.01.072
- Lim SN, Cheung PCK, Ooi VEC, Ang PO. 2002. Evaluation of antioxidative activity of extracts from a brown seaweed, Sargassum siliquastrum. J Agric Food Chem 50: 3862-3866. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf020096b
- Yan X, Li X, Zhou C, Fan X. 1996. Prevention of fish oil rancidity by phlorotannins from Sargassum kjellmanianum. J Appl Phycol 8: 201-203. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02184972
- Yan X, Chuda Y, Suzuki M, Nagata T. 1999. Fucoxanthin as the major antioxidant in Hijikia fusiformis, a common edible seaweed. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 63: 605-607. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.63.605
- Ganesan P, Kumar CS, Bhaskar N. 2008. Antioxidant properties of methanol extract and its solvent fractions obtained from selected Indian red seaweeds. Bioresour Technol 99:2717-2723. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2007.07.005
- Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations. 2006. Year book of fishery statistics. Rome, Italy. Vol 98/1&2.
- Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs. 2010. Project document for new work on a standard for laver products. REP11/ASIA para. 144, Sejong, Korea.
- International Organization for Standardization. 2005. Determination of substances characteristic of green and black tea -Part 1: Content of total polyphenols in tea- Colorimetric method using Folin-Ciocalteu reagent. Geneva, Switzerland. ISO 14502-1:2005(E).
- Woisky R, Salatino A. 2010. Analysis of propolis: some parameters and procedures for chemical quality control. J Apic Res 37: 99-105.
- Cheung LM, Cheung PCK, Ooi VEC. 2003. Antioxidant activity and total phenolics of edible mushroom extracts. Food Chem 81: 249-255. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(02)00419-3
- Re R, Pellegrini N, Proteggente A, Pannala A, Yang M, Rice- Evans C. 1999. Antioxidant activity applying an improved ABTS radical cation decolorization assay. Free Radic Biol Med 26: 1231-1237. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(98)00315-3
- Nisizawa K, Noda H, Kikuchi R, Watanabe T. 1987. The main seaweed foods in Japan. Hydrobiologia 151/152: 5-29. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00046102
- O'Sullivan AM, O’Callaghan YC, O’Grady MN, Queguineur B, Hanniffy D, Troy DJ, Kerry JP, O’Brien NM. 2011. In vitro and cellular antioxidant activities of seaweed extracts prepared from five brown seaweeds harvested in spring from the west coast of Ireland. Food Chem 126: 1064-1070. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2010.11.127
- Trends in LC-MS and LC-HRMS analysis and characterization of polyphenols in food vol.88, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trac.2016.12.006
- Therapeutic impact of grape leaves polyphenols on certain biochemical and neurological markers in AlCl 3 -induced Alzheimer’s disease vol.93, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biopha.2017.07.038
- Modulation of viability and apoptosis of UVB-exposed human keratinocyte HaCaT cells by aqueous methanol extract of laver (Porphyra yezoensis) vol.141, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jphotobiol.2014.10.012
- Effects of the cyclophilin-type peptidylprolyl cis-trans isomerase from Pyropia yezoensis against hydrogen peroxide-induced oxidative stress in HepG2 cells vol.15, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3892/mmr.2017.6517
- The micosporine-like amino acids-rich aqueous methanol extract of laver (Porphyra yezoensis) inhibits adipogenesis and induces apoptosis in 3T3-L1 adipocytes vol.9, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2015.9.6.592
- Chemical characterization and antioxidant potential of volatile oil from an edible seaweed Porphyra tenera (Kjellman, 1897) vol.11, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s13065-017-0259-3
- Extraction of polyphenols in Himanthalia elongata and determination by high performance liquid chromatography with diode array detector prior to its potential use against oxidative stress vol.1033-1034, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jchromb.2016.09.001
- Anti-Listerial Activity of Four Seaweed Essential Oils Against Listeria monocytogenes vol.9, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5812/jjm.31784
- An edible red seaweed (Pyropia orbicularis): influence of vacuum drying on physicochemical composition, bioactive compounds, antioxidant capacity, and pigments 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10811-017-1240-1
- Enhancing Aroma Flavor, Bio-Active Constituents and Quality Attributes of Cantaloupe Juice Supplementing with Wheat Grass Juice vol.18, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3923/jbs.2018.1.12
- Comparative Analysis of Chemical Composition, Antioxidant Activity and Quantitative Characterization of Some Phenolic Compounds in Selected Herbs and Spices in Different Solvent Extraction Systems vol.23, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules23020402
- Protective effect of cinnamon against acetaminophen-mediated cellular damage and apoptosis in renal tissue pp.1614-7499, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-018-3553-2
- New applied pharmacological approach/trend on utilization of agro-industrial wastes vol.25, pp.26, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-018-2631-9
- vol.27, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/10498850.2018.1448918
- Counteractive Role of White Pepper Extracts for Oxidative Stress and Hepatotoxicity Induced by Aflatoxin B1 in Rats vol.15, pp.2, 2019, https://doi.org/10.3923/ijp.2019.177.188