- Volume 28 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Developmental characteristics of Tenebrio molitor larvae (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae) in different instars
- Park, Jong Bin (Department of Agricultural Biology, National Academy of Agricultural Science) ;
- Choi, Won Ho (Department of Agricultural Biology, National Academy of Agricultural Science) ;
- Kim, Seong Hyun (Department of Agricultural Biology, National Academy of Agricultural Science) ;
- Jin, Hyo Jung (Department of Agricultural Biology, National Academy of Agricultural Science) ;
- Han, Yeon Soo (Department of Plant Biotechnology, College of Agriculture & Life, Chonnam National University) ;
- Lee, Yong Seok (Department of Parasitology, College of Medicine, University of Soonchunhyang) ;
- Kim, Nam Jung (Department of Agricultural Biology, National Academy of Agricultural Science)
- Received : 2013.12.20
- Accepted : 2014.01.20
- Published : 2014.03.31
Tenebrio molitor is a major pest of stored grain, although its larvae have potential for use as food. However, little is known about the characteristics of individual larval instars of this species, and the number of instars remains disputed. Therefore, we assessed T. molitor for the average number of instars and its characteristics at different larval stages. The focus of this study was to establish a foundation for further studies on the characteristics of each larval instar. All of the T. molitor larvae showed incubation periods of 7 to 8 d and a period of 3 to 4 d for the
- Balfour CE, Carmichael L (1928) The light reactions of the mealworm (Tenebrio molitor Linn). Am J Psychol 40(4).
- Barnes AI, Siva-Jothy MT (2000) Density-dependent prophylaxis in the mealworm beetle Tenebrio molitor L. (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae): cuticular melanization is an indicator of investment in immunity. Proc R Soc Lond B 267(1439), 177-182. https://doi.org/10.1098/rspb.2000.0984
- Cotton RT (1927) Notes on the biology of the meal worms, Tenebrio molitor Linne and T. obscurus Fab. Ann Entomol Soc Am 20(1), 81-86(6). https://doi.org/10.1093/aesa/20.1.81
- Delbecque JP, Hirn M, Delachambre J, Reggi MD (1978) Cuticular cycle and molting hormone levels during the metamorphosis of Tenebrio molitor (Insecta Coleoptera). Developmental Biol 64, 11-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/0012-1606(78)90057-X
- Finke MD (2002) Complete nutrient composition of commercially raised invertebrates used as food for insectivores. Zoo Biol 21, 269-285. https://doi.org/10.1002/zoo.10031
- Fiore C (1960) Effects of temperature and parental age on the life cycle of the dark mealworm, Tenebrio obscurus Fabricius. J N Y Entomol Soc 68(1), 27-35.
- Hsia WT, Kao SS (1987) Application of head width measurements for instar determination of corn earworm larvae. Taiwan R.O.C. 29, 277-282.
- Hurd H, Parry G (1991) Metacestode-induced depression of the production of, and response to, sex pheromone in the intermediate host Tenebrio molitor. J Inverteb Pathol 58, 82-87. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-2011(91)90165-M
- Loudon C (1988) Development of Tenebrio molitor in low oxygen levels. J Insect Physiol 34, 97-103. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1910(88)90160-6
- Ludwig D (1956) Effects of temperature and parental age on the life cycle of the mealworm, Tenebrio molitor Linnaeus (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae). Ann Entomol Soc Am 49, 12-15. https://doi.org/10.1093/aesa/49.1.12
- Ludwig D, Carl F (1960) Further studies on the relationship between parental age and the life cycle of the mealworm, Tenebrio molitor. Ann Entomol Soc Am 53, 595-600(6). https://doi.org/10.1093/aesa/53.5.595
- Nijhout HF (1975) A threshold size for metamorphosis in the tobacco hornworm, Manduca Sexta (L.). Biol Bull 149, 214-225. https://doi.org/10.2307/1540491
- Tanaka Y, Honda H, Ohsawa K, Yamamoto I (1986) A sex attractant of the yellow mealworm, Tenebrio molitor, and its role in mating behavior. J Pest Sci 11, 49-55. https://doi.org/10.1584/jpestics.11.49
- Park YK, Choi YC, Lee SH, Lee JS, Kang SH (2012) Fecundity, life span, developmental periods and pupal weight of Tenebrio molitor L.(Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae). J Seric Entomol Sci 50(2), 126-132.
- Punzo F and Mutchmor JA (1980) Effects of temperature, relative humidity and period of exposure on the survival capacity of Tenebrio molitor (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae). J Kansas Entomol Soc 53(2), 260-270.
- Schroeckenstein DC, Meier-Davis S, Bush RK (1990) Occupational sensitivity to Tenebrio molitor Linnaeus (yellow mealworm). J Allergy Clin Immunol 86(2), 182-188. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0091-6749(05)80064-8
- Wang HC, Liao HY, Chen HL (2012) Tenebrio small-scale ecological farming feasibility study. Adv Mat Res, 267-270.
- Yoo JM, Hwang JS, Goo TW, Yun EY (2013) Comparative analysis of nutritional and harmful components in Korean and Chinese mealworms (Tenebrio molitor). J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 42(2), 249-254. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.2.249
- Growth characteristics of mealworm Tenebrio molitor vol.53, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7852/jses.2015.53.1.1
- Is Juvenile Hormone a potential mechanism that underlay the “branched Y-model”? vol.230-231, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygcen.2016.03.027
- Larval personality does not predict adult personality in a holometabolous insect vol.120, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1093/biolinnean/blw015
- An Invertebrate Host to Study Fungal Infections, Mycotoxins and Antifungal Drugs: Tenebrio molitor vol.4, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/jof4040125