- Volume 39 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Construal Level and Regulatory Focus on the Attitude toward Financial Products
조절초점과 해석수준이 금융상품 태도에 미치는 영향
- Chun, Sungyong (Department of Business Adminstration, Dankook University) ;
- Youn, Hyo Sik (Department of Business Adminstration, Dankook University)
- Received : 2013.11.20
- Accepted : 2014.01.02
- Published : 2014.03.31
Financial products entail either gains or losses, and customers' psychological reaction to these gains and losses affect the selection of the financial products. This study explains the financial customers' behavior by introducing consumers' psychological variables such as regulatory focus and construal levels. According to the regulatory focus theory, there are two distinct motivational orientations called promotion focus and prevention focus. And, construal level theory proposes that people use more abstract and higher levels of construal to represent objects that are more distant on psychological distance. We have incorporated these two psychological variables into financial consumer behaviors. In the experiment 1, the results have showed that promotion focused customers prefer fund products to deposit products, whereas prevention focused customers have showed the opposite result. In the experiment 2, both regulatory focus and construal level were considered. Specifically, under the high level message, promotion focused customers have showed higher preference to fund products than the prevention focused customers, and no significant difference for the deposit products. On the contrary, given the low level message, prevention focused customers have showed higher preference to both fund and deposit products than the promotion focused customers. Therefore, it comes to the conclusion that it will be efficient for the financial companies to use high level messages for the promotion focused customers and low level messages for the prevention focused customers. Implications and limitations are discussed to establish more effective marketing strategies based on the results of this study.
- 박세훈, 김정원, "조절적 적합성과 과도한 적합성이 소비자의 선택 연기에 미치는 영향", 소비자학연구, 제20권, 제1호(2009), pp.151-175.
- 천성용, "한국 금융회사 마케팅 현황에 대한 탐색 연구", 한국마케팅저널, 제12권, 제2호(2010), pp.111-133.
- 하영원, 김영두, "조절초점이 금융 소비자의 투자행동에 미치는 영향 -처분효과와 처분 후 위험 대안 선택 행동에 대한 조절초점의 조절적 역할을 중심으로-", 경영학연구, 제40권, 제3호(2011), pp.605-631.
- Aaker, J.L. and A.Y. Lee, "'I' Seek Pleasures and 'We' Avoid Pains : the Role of Self-regulatory Goals in Information Processing and Persuasion," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol.28, No.1(2001), pp.33-49. https://doi.org/10.1086/321946
- Cesario, J., H. Grant, and E.T. Higgins, "Regulatory Fit and Persuasion : Transfer from 'Feeling Right'," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.86, No.3(2004), pp.388-404. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1998
- Chernev, A., "Goal-attribute Compatibility in Consumer Choice," Journal of Consumer Psychology, Vol.14, No.1, 2(2004), pp.141-150. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327663jcp1401&2_16
- Crowe, E. and E.T. Higgins, "Regulatory Focus and Strategic Inclinations : Promotion and Prevention in Decision Making," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Process, Vol.69, No.2(1997), pp.117-132. https://doi.org/10.1006/obhd.1996.2675
- Ehrlich, E. and D. Fanelli, The Financial Services Marketing Handbook, Bloomberg Press, NJ, 2004.
- Ennew, C.T. and N. Waite, Financial Services Marketing, Butterworth-Heinemann, MA, 2007.
- Forster, J., E.T. Higgins, and A.T. Bianco, "Speed Accuracy Decisions in Task Performance : Built in Trade-off or Separate Strategic Concerns?," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Vol.90 (2003), pp.148-164. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-5978(02)00509-5
- Herzenstein, M., S.S. Posavac, and J.J. Brakus, "Adoption of New and Really New Products : The Effects of Self-Regulation Systems and Risk Salience," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.44, No.2(2007), pp.251-260. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkr.44.2.251
- Higgins, E.T., "Beyond Pleasure and Pain," American Psychologist, Vol.52, No.12(1997), pp.1280-1300. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.52.12.1280
- Higgins, E.T., "Promotion and Prevention : Regulatory Focus as a Motivational Principle," in Advances in Experimental Psychology, Vol.30(1998), ed. Mark P. Zanna, San Diego, CA : Academic Press, pp.1-46.
- Higgins, E.T., "Making a Good Decision : Value from Fit," American Psychologist, Vol.55, No.11(2000), pp.1217-1230. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.55.11.1217
- Holbrook, M.B. and R. Batra, "Assessing the Role of Emotions as Mediators of Consumer Responses to Advertising," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol.14(December, 1987), pp.404-420. https://doi.org/10.1086/209123
- Lee, A.Y., P.A. Keller, and B. Sternthal, "Value from Regulatory Construal Fit : The Persuasive Impact of Fit Between Consumer Goals and Message Concreteness," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol.36(February, 2010), pp.735-747. https://doi.org/10.1086/605591
- Liberman, N. and Y. Trope, "The Role of Feasibility and Desirability Considerations in Near and Distant Future Decision : A Test of Temporal Construal Theory," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.75, No.1(1998), pp.5-18. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.52
- Liberman, N., L.C. Idson, C.J. Camacho, and E.T. Higgins, "Promotion and Prevention Choices between Stability and Change," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.77(1999), pp.1135-1145. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2065
- Liberman, N., Y. Trope, S. Macrae, and S. Sherman, "The Effect of Level of Construal on Temporal Distance," Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, Vol.43(2007), pp.143-149. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jesp.2005.12.009
- Liberman, N., M.D. Sagristano, and Y. Trope, "The Effect of Temporal Distance on Level of Mental Construal," Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, Vol.38, No.6(2002), pp.523-534. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-1031(02)00535-8
- Mogilner, C., J.L. Aaker, and G. Pennington, "Time Will Tell : The Distant Appeal of Promotion and Imminent Appeal of Prevention," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol.34(February, 2008), pp.670-681. https://doi.org/10.1086/521901
- Todorov, A., A. Goren, and Y. Trope, "Probability as a Psychological Distance : Construal and Preferences," Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, Vol.43(2007), pp.473-482. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jesp.2006.04.002
- Trope, Y., N. Liberman, and C. Wakslak, "Construal Levels and Psychological Distance : Effects on Representation, Prediction, Evaluation, and Behavior," Journal of Consumer Psychology, Vol.17, No.2(2007), pp.83-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1057-7408(07)70013-X
- Trope, Y. and N. Liberman, "Construal-Level Theory of Psychological Distance," Psychological Review, Vol.117, No.2(2010), pp.440-463. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0018963
- Wang, J. and A.Y. Lee, "The Role of Regulatory Focus in Preference Construction," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.43, No.1(2006), pp.28-38. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkr.43.1.28
- Werth, L. and J. Forster, "The Effects of Regulatory Focus on Braking Speed," Journal of Applied Social Psychology, Vol.37, No.12(2007), pp.2764-2787. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.2007.00280.x
- Zhou, R. and M.T. Pham, "Promotion and Prevention across Mental Accounts : When Financial Products Dictate Consumers' Investment Goals," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol.31(2004), pp.125-135. https://doi.org/10.1086/383429