- Volume 18 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Equivalent Plastic Hinge Length Model for Flexure-Governed RC Shear Walls
휨 항복형 철근콘크리트 전단벽의 등가소성힌지길이 모델
- Received : 2013.12.17
- Accepted : 2014.01.18
- Published : 2014.03.30
The present study proposes a simple equation to straightforwardly determine the potential plastic hinge length in boundary element of reinforced concrete shear walls. From the idealized curvature distribution along the shear wall length, a basic formula was derived as a function of yielding moment, maximum moment, and additional moment owing to diagonal tensile crack. Yielding moment and maximum moment capacities of shear wall were calculated on the basis of compatability of strain and equilibrium equation of internal forces. The development of a diagonal tensile crack at web was examined from the shear transfer capacity of concrete specified in ACI 318-11 provision and then the additional moment was calculated using the truss mechanism along the crack proposed by Park and Paulay. The moment capacities were simplified from an extensive parametric study; as a result, the equivalent plastic hinge length of shear walls could be formulated using indices of longitudinal tensile reinforcement at the boundary element, vertical reinforcement at web, and applied axial load. The proposed equation predicted accurately the measured plastic hinge length, providing that the mean and standard deviation of ratios between predictions and experiments are 1.019 and 0.102, respectively.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- ACI Committee 318 (2011), Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete (ACI 318-11) and Commentary, American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, MI, 503.
- Adebar, P., Ibrahim, A. M. M., and Bryson, M. (2007), Test of a High-Rise Core Wall: Effective Stiffness for Seismic Analysis, ACI Structural Journal, 104(5), 549-559.
- Bohl, A., and Adebar, P. (2011), Plastic Hinge Lengths in High-Rise Concrete Shear Walls, ACI Structural Journal, 108(2), 148-157.
- Chan, W. W. L. (1955), The Ultimate Strength and Deformation of Plastic Hinges in Reinforced Concrete Frameworks, Magazine of Concrete Research, 7(21), 121-132. https://doi.org/10.1680/macr.19188.8.131.52
- Kang, S. M., and Park, H. G. (2002), Ductility Confinement of RC Rectangular Shear Wall, Journal of Korea Concrete Institute, 14(4), 530-539 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.4334/JKCI.2002.14.4.530
- Mattock, A. H. (1967), Discussion of 'Rotational Capacity of Reinforced Concrete Beams' by W.G. Corley, Journal of the Structural Division, ASCE, 93(ST2), 519-522.
- Oesterle, R. G., Aristizasbal-Ochoa, J. D., Fiorato, A. E., Russell, H. G., and Corley, W. G. (1979), Earthquake Resistant Structural Walls-Tests of Isolated Walls-Phase II, Report to National Science Foundation, Construction Technology Laboratories, Portland Cement Association, Skokie, III., 325.
- Oesterle, R. G., Fiorato, A. E., Johal, L. S., Carpenter, J. E., Russell, H. G., and Corley, W. G. (1976), Earthquake Resistant Structural Walls-Tests of Isolated Walls, Report to National Science Foundation, Construction Technology Laboratories, Portland Cement Association, Skokie, III., 315.
- Panagiotakos, T. B., and Fardis, M. N. (2001), Deformations of Reinforced Concrete Members at Yielding and Ultimate, ACI Structural Journal, 98(2), 135-148.
- Park, R., and Paulay, T. (1975), Reinforced Concrete Structures, Wiley Interscience Publication, New Jersey, USA, 769.
- Paulay, T., and Priestley, M. J. N. (1992), Seismic Design of Reinforced Concrete and Masonry Buildings, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 768.
- Paulay, T., and Priestley, M. J. N. (1993), Stability of Ductile Structural Walls, ACI Structural Journal, 90(4), 385-392.
- Paulay, T., and Uzumeri, S. M. (1975), A Critical Review of the Seismic Design Provisions for Ductile Shear Walls for the Canadian Code, Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, 2(4), 592-601. https://doi.org/10.1139/l75-054
- Sawyer, H. A. (1964), Design of Concrete Frames for Two Failure Stages, Proceedings of the International Symposium on Flexural Mechanics of Reinforced Concrete, ASCE-ACI, MI, 408-431.
- Shiu, K. N., Daniel, J. I, Aristizasbal-Ochoa, J. D., Fiorato, A. E., and Corley, W. G. (1981), Earthquake Resistant Structural Walls-Tests of Walls With and Without Openings, Report to National Science Foundation, Construction Technology Laboratories, Portland Cement Association, Skokie, III., 120.
- Yang, K. H. (2013), Development of Performance-Based Design Guideline for High-Density Concrete Walls, Technical Report (2nd year), Kyonggi University, 115 (in Korean).