- Volume 20 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Survey of Nonlinear Control Methods to Permanent Magnet Stepping Motors
스테퍼 모터를 위한 비선형 제어기법의 개관
- Kim, Wonhee (Department of Electrical Engineering, Dong-A University) ;
- Shin, Donghoon (Department of Electrical Engineering, Hanyang University) ;
- Lee, Youngwoo (Department of Electrical Engineering, Hanyang University) ;
- Chung, Chung Choo (Division of Electrical and Biomedical Engineering, Hanyang University)
- Received : 2014.01.24
- Accepted : 2014.02.03
- Published : 2014.03.01
Stepper motor is widely used in positioning applications due to its durability and high torque to inertia ratio as well as low cost and ability to be easily controlled with open-loop. Due to increased resolution of position control and improved stability of motion control, microstepping has drawn attention in industry since it was introduced in 1970s. With the increase in computational power and decrease in cost of embedded processors in recent years, drives and control systems for stepper motors have become more sophisticate than ever. Thus, closed-loop control methods have been developed to improve the performance of the stepper motors. In this paper, we review not only basic principles of conventional control methods used for stepper motors but also that of microstepping control. In addition, we surveyed recent development in nonlinear control methods applied to stepper motors. The nonlinear control methods are presented in the view of Lyapunov stability. Nonlinear torque disturbance observer, sliding mode control, and nonlinear phase compensation are also presented.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Applied Motion Products, Browse Stepper Drives [Online:] http://www.applied-motion.com/products/stepper-drives
- P. P. Acarnley, Stepping Motors: A Guide to Modern Theory and Practice. NewYork: Peregrinus, 1982.
- M. Bodson and P. Chiasson, "Differential-geometric methods for control and electric motors," Int. J. Robust Nonlinear Control, vol. 8, no. 11, pp. 923-954, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1239(199809)8:11<923::AID-RNC369>3.0.CO;2-S
- A. Bellini, C. Concari, G. Franceschini, and A. Toscani, "Mixed mode PWM for high-performance stepping motors," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 3167-3177, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.905929
- M. Bodson, J. Chiasson, R. Novotnak, and R. Rekowski, "High performance nonlinear feedback control of a permanent magnet stepper motor," IEEE Trans. Control Syst. Technol., vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 5-14, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1109/87.221347
- S. Bifaretti, P. Tomei, and C. M. Verrelli, "A global robust iterative learning position control for current-fed permanent magnet step motors," Automatica, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 227-234, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.automatica.2010.10.048
- J. Chiasson, Modeling and High-Performance Control of Electric Machines. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley-Interscience, 2005.
- R. F. Coughlin and F. F. Driscoll, Operational Amplifiers and Linear Integrated Circuits - 6th Edition, Prentice Hall, 2001.
- W. D. Chen, K. L. Yung, and K. W. Cheng, "A learning scheme for low-speed precision tracking control of hybrid stepping Motors," IEEE/ASME Trans. Mechatronics, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 362-365, Dec. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMECH.2006.875574
- M. Defoort, F. Nollet, T. Floquet, and W. Perruquetti, "A thirdorder sliding-mode controller for a stepper motor," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 56, no. 9, p. 3337-3336, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2026378
- D. W. Jones, Control of Stepping Motors. In W. H. Yeadon, & A. W. Yeadon, Handbook of Small Electric Motors, New York: McGraw-Hill, 2001.
- B. Henke, O. Sawodny, S. Schmidt, and R. Neumann, "Modeling of hybrid stepper motors for closed-loop operation," Proc. of IFAC Symp. Mechatronic Syst., pp. 177-183, 2013.
- T. Kenjo, Stepping Motors and Their Microprocessor Control. New York: Clarendon, 1984.
- P. Krishnamurthy and F. Khorrami, "Robust adaptive voltagefed permanent magnet step motor control without current measurements," IEEE Trans. Control Syst. Technol., vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 415-425, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCST.2003.810397
- W. Kim and C. C. Chung, "Novel position detection method for permanent magnet stepper motors using only current feedback," IEEE Trans. Magn., vol. 47, no. 10, pp. 3590-3593, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2011.2144573
- W. Kim, D. Shin, and C. C. Chung, "Adaptive observer-based nonlinear control in microstepping for permanent magnet stepper motors," Proc. of IEEE Conf. Dec. Control, pp. 4594-4599, 2010.
- W. Kim, D. Shin, and C. C. Chung, "Lyapunov-based controller with a passive nonlinear observer to improve position tracking performance of microstepping in permanent magnet stepper motors," Automatica, vol. 48, no. 12, pp. 3064-3074, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.automatica.2012.08.035
- W. Kim, D. Shin, and C. C. Chung, "Microstepping using a disturbance observer and a variable structure controller for permanent magnet stepper motors," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 60, no. 7, pp. 2689-2699, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2198033
- W. Kim, D. Shin, and C. C. Chung, "Microstepping with nonlinear torque modulation for permanent magnet stepper motors," IEEE Trans. Control Syst. Technol., vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 1971-1979, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCST.2012.2211079
- W. Kim, D. Shin, Y. Lee, and C. C. Chung, "Nonlinear control based on singular perturbation theory for position tracking of permanent magnet stepper motors," Proc. of Amer. Control Conf., pp. 1186-1191, 2012.
- Y. Lee, D. Shin, W. Kim, and C. C. Chung, "Position ripple reduction in microstepping with feedforward current filters for permanent magnet stepper motors," Proc. of IEEE Int. Magnetics Conf., pp. 1-2, 2012.
- S. Manea, "Stepper motor control with dsPIC DSCs," Microchip Technology Inc, Tech. Rep., 2009.
- R. Marino, S. Peresada, and P. Tomei, "Nonlinear adaptive control of permanent magnet step motors," Automatica, vol. 31, no. 11, pp. 1595-1604, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1016/0005-1098(95)00087-D
- Orientalmotor, Motion Control Product - Driver, http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/stepper-motors/RBK-series-stepper-motors-pulse-input-dc.html
- Orientalmotor, Motion Control Product - Alpha stepper motor, http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/stepper-motors/AR-series-stepper-motors-stored-data-controller-dc.html
- R. H. Park, "Two-reaction theory of synchronous machines generalized method of analysis," AIEE Trans., no. 48, pp. 716-727, 1929.
- H. Sira-Ramirez, "A passivity plus flatness controller for the permanent magnet stepper motor," Asian J. Control, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 1-9, 2000.
- S. Seshagiri, "Position control of permanent magnet stepper motors using conditional servo compensators," IET Control Theory Appl., vol. 3, no. 9, pp. 1196-1208, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-cta.2008.0243
- D. Shin, D. E. Chang, W. Kim, Y. Lee, and C. C. Chung, "Sensorless torque control with a nonlinear observer for permanent magnet synchronous motors," Proc. of IEEE Conf. Dec. Control, pp. 238-243, 2013.
- D. Shin, W. Kim, and C. C. Chung, "Position control of a permanent magnet stepper motor by MISO backstepping in semi-strict feedback form," Proc. of IEEE/ASME Int. Conf. Adv. Intell. Mechatronics, pp. 808-813, 2011.
- D. Shin, W. Kim, Y. Lee, and C. C. Chung, "Phase-compensated microstepping for permanent-magnet stepper motors," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 60, no. 12, pp. 5773-5780, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2238879
- D. Shin, W. Kim, Y. Lee, and C. C Chung, "Robust nonlinear position control based on singular perturbation theory with conditional reset integrator for permanent magnet stepper motor," in Proc. Amer. Control Conf., pp. 1991-1996, 2013.
- M. Zribi and J. N. Chiasson, "Position control of a PM stepper motor by exact linearization," IEEE Trans. Autom. Control, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 620-625, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1109/9.76368