- Volume 17 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
An Effective Early Termination Motion Estimation Method for Multi-view Video Coding
다시점 비디오 부호화를 위한 효과적인 초기 종료 움직임 추정 기법
- Received : 2013.09.27
- Accepted : 2014.02.20
- Published : 2014.03.31
Multi-view video is obtained by capturing one three-dimensional scene with many cameras at different positions. Multi-view video coding requires high computational complexity. To reduce computational complexity and maintain the image quality, an effective early termination motion estimation method is proposed in this paper. The proposed method exploiting the characteristic of motion vector distribution uses a hierarchical search strategy. This strategy method consists of multi-grid square search pattern, modified diamond search pattern, small diamond search pattern and raster search pattern. Experiment results show that the speedup improvement of the proposed method over TZ search method and FS(Full Search) method JMVC (Joint Multiview Video Coding) can be up to 1.7~4.5 times and 90 times faster respectively while maintaining similar video quality and bit rates.
multi-view video;temporal correlation;motion estimation;motion vector
- R. Li, B. Zeng, and M.L. Liou, "A New Three Step Search Algorithm for Block Motion Estimation," IEEE Trans. on Circuits and System for Video Technology, Vol. 4, No. 4, pp. 438-441, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1109/76.313138
- A. Smolic, K. Mueller, P. Merkle, C. Fehn, P. kauff, P. Eisert, and T. Wiegand, "3D Video and Free Viewpoint Video-Technologies, Applications and MPEG Standards," Proc. the IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Exposition, 2006. pp. 2161-2164.
- Vision on 3D Video, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/ WG11 N10357, 2009.
- T. Koga, K. Iinuma, A. Hirano, and Y. Ishiguro, "Motion Compensated Interframe Coding for Video Conference," Proc. the NTC81, pp. G5.3.1-5.3.5, 1981.
- J.R. Jain and A.K. Jain, "Displacement Measurement and Its Application in Interframe Image Coding," IEEE Trans. on Communications, Vol. 29, No. 12, pp. 1779-1808, 1981.
- L.M. Po and W.C. Ma, "A Novel Four Search Algorithm for Block Motion Estimation," IEEE Transactions on Circuit and Systems for Video Technology, Vol. 6, Issue 3, pp. 313-317, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/76.499840
- J.Y. Tham, S. Ranganath, and A.A. Kassim, "A Novel Unretricted Center-Biased Diamond Search Algorithm for Block Motion Estimation," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Vol. 8, Issue 4, pp. 369-377, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/76.709403
- S. Zhu and K.K. Ma "A New Diamond Search Algorithm for Fast Block Matching Motion," IEEE Transaction on Image Processing, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 287-290, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/83.821744
- Yuk Ying Chung, Neil W. Bergmann, "Fast Search Block Matching Motion Estimation Algorithm using FPGA," Proc. the SPIE, Visual Communications and Image Processing, Vol. 4067, pp. 913-921, 2000.
- Danian Gong and Yun He, "Fast Motion Estimation Algorithm using Horizontal and Multi-grid Search Strategy," Picture Coding Symposium, pp. 362-365, 2001.
- Prabhudev Irappa Howur and K.K. Ma, Report on Performance of Fast Motion Estimation using Motion Vector Field Adaptive Search Technique, ISO/IEC/JCTI/ SC29/WG11 M5453, 1999.
- Ce Zhu, Xion Lin, and Lau-Pui Chau, "Hexagon Based Search Pattern for Fast Block Motion Estimation," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Vol. 12, No.5, pp. 349-355, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2002.1003474
- A.M. Tourapis, O.C. Au, and M.L. Liou, Fast Block Matching Motion Estimation using Predictive Motion Vector Field Adaptive Search Technique, ISO/IEC/JCTI/SC29/ WG11 MPEG2000/M5866, 2000.
- Z. Chen, P. Zhou, and Y. He, "Fast Integer Pel and Fractional Pel motion Estimation in for JVT" in JVT of ISO/ICE/ MPEG and ITU-T VCEG, 6th Meeting, 2002.
- Tang Xiu-li, Dai Sheng-kui, Cai Can-hui, "An Analysis of TZSearch Algorithm in JMVC," International Conference on Green Circuits and System, pp. 516-519, 2010.
- N. Purnachand, Luis Nero Alves, and Antonio Navarro, "Improvements to TZ Search Motion Estimation Algorithm for Multiview Video Coding," Proc. the IWSSIP , pp. 388-391, 2012.
- H.S Yoon and G.S Lee, "Adaptive Motion Estimation Method using Temporal Correlation," The KIPS Transactions: Part B, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 199-204, 2004.
- 윤효순, 김미영 "다시점 비디오 부호화를 위한 저 복잡도 움직임 추정 탐색 기법", 한국 멀티미디어학회논문지, Vol. 16, No. 5, pp.539-548 https://doi.org/10.9717/kmms.2013.16.5.539
- Temporal Prediction Structure and Motion Estimation Method based on the Characteristic of the Motion Vectors vol.18, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9717/kmms.2015.18.10.1205
Supported by : 한국연구재단