- Volume 17 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Characteristics of Habitat-using of Siberian Roe Deer in Seoraksan(Mt.) National Park
설악산국립공원 지역의 노루 서식지 이용 특성에 관한 연구
Park, Yong-Su;Lee, Woo-Shin
- Received : 2013.12.09
- Accepted : 2014.01.06
- Published : 2014.02.28
This study was conducted to obtain the basic research about Siberian roe deer (Capreolus pygargus), and to establish a conservation area into Seoraksan(Mt.) National Park, South Korea. We recorded Siberian roe deer field signs (bedding sites, feeding areas, feces and tracks etc), and habitat variables such as nearest distance to the watercourse, trails, slope, aspect, forest type and land cover etc. from Jan. 2006 to Dec. 2007 in Seoraksan(Mt.) National Park. According to the research of habitat characteristics of Siberian roe deer inhabited in Seoraksan(Mt.) National Park preferred mixed forest consisted of aged forest and middle-aged forest on the gentle slope which was close to hydrosphere in the middle elevation area of altitude of 400~600m above sea level in Seoraksan(Mt.) National Park. The results indicated that Siberian roe deer appeared to prefer south slope or north slope during the snow season and west or east slope during the non-snow season. The area of most suitable habitat for Siberian roe deer in Seoraksan(Mt.) National Park was
Siberian roe deer;habitat characteristics;habitat value;HSI (Habitat Suitability Index);Seoraksan(Mt.) National Park
- Oh, J. K. 2004. Characteristics of Ecological Behaviour of Roe Deer (Capreolus pygargus tianschanicus) in Jeju Island, Korea. A doctor's degree paper of Korea National University of Education.
- Palmer, S. C. F. and Truscott, A. M. 2003. Seasonal habitat use and browsing by deer in Caledonian pinewoods. Forest Ecology and Management 174: 149-166. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-1127(02)00032-4
- Rowell-Schafera, A.․Lechner-Dolla, M.․Hofmanna, R. R.․Streich, W. J.․Guven, B. and Meyer, H. H. D. 2001. Metabolic evidence of a rumen bypass or a ruminal escape of nutrients in roe deer Capreolus capreolus. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology 128: 289-298. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1095-6433(00)00305-6
- Park, Y. S.․Kim, D. H.․Cho, D. G. and Kim, K. G. 2006. A Study on Setting up Conservation Areas through Habitat Value Assessment of Developing Area. The korea society of environmental restoration technology 9: 26-38.
- Park, Y. S.․Kim, J. T. and Lee, W. S. 2008. Analysis of the main habitat for Siberia Musk Deer (Moschus moschiferus) restoration in Mt. Odae National Park, Korea. The korea society of environmental restoration technology 11: 91-102.
- Prusaite, J. A.․Baleishis, R. M. and Bluzma, P. P. 1983. The relationship between the set of foods of the European roe deer and the degree of woodenness of its habitat. Proceedings of the Lithuanian Academy of Sciences 4: 84-98.
- Schadt, S.․Revilla, E.․Wiegand, T.․Knauer, F.․ Kaczensky, P.․Breitenmoser, U.․Bufka, L.․Cerveny, J.․Koubek, P.․Huber, T.․ Stanisa, C. and Trepl, L. 2002. Assessing the suitability of central European landscapes for the reintroduction of Eurasian lynx. Journal of Applied Ecology 39: 189-203. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2664.2002.00700.x
- Shaw, J. H. 1985. Introduction to wildlife management. McGraw-Hill, Inc. New York.
- Sokolov, V. E. and Danilkin, A. A. 1981. The Siberian roe deer. Nauka Publishers. Moscow.
- Spellerberg, I. F. 1992. Evaluation and assessment for conservation. Chapman and Hall. New York.
- Turner, D. C. 1979. An analysis of time-budgeting by roe deer (Capreolus capreolus) in an agricultural area. Behaviour 71: 246-290. https://doi.org/10.1163/156853979X00188
- Sukopp, H. and Weiler, S. 1988. Biotope mapping and nature conservation strategies in urban areas of the Federal Republic of Germany. Landscape and Urban Planning 15: 39-58. https://doi.org/10.1016/0169-2046(88)90015-1
- Thomas, O. 1908. The Duke of Bedford's zoological exploration in eastern Aisa-IX. List of mammals from the Mongolian Plateau. Proceedings of Zoological Society of London 1908: 104-110.
- Tixier, H.․Maizeret, C.․Duncan, P.․Bertrand, R.․Poirel, C. and Roger, M. 1998. Development of feeling selectivity in roe deer. Behavioural Processes 43: 33-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0376-6357(97)00084-3
- Usher, M. B. 1980. An assessment of conservation value within a large site of special scientific interest in North Yorkshire. Field Studies 5: 323-348.
- Vincent, J. P.․Janeau, G.․Quere, J. P. and Spitz, F. 1979. Note sur la repartition et le rythme d'activite du chevreuil (Capreolus capreolus) en foret ouverte. Annales de Zoologie Ecologie Animale 11: 145-157.
- Chen, H.․Li, F.․Luo, L.․Wang, H.․Ma, J. and Li, F. 1999. Winter bed-stie selection by red deer (Cervus elaphus xanthopygus) and roe deer (Capreolus capreolus bedfordi) in forests of northeastern China. Acta Theriologica 44: 195-206. https://doi.org/10.4098/AT.arch.99-17
- Cho, Y. H. 2001. A study of long term monitoring of urban ecology in Seoul. The Seoul Institute.
- City of Redmond. 2000. City of Redmond draft wildlife habitat plan. Adolfson Associates Inc. Seattle.
- Clutton-Brock, T. H.․F. E. Guinness and S. D. Albon. 1982. Red deer: behavior and ecology of twinsexes. University of Chicago Press. Chicago.
- Fryxell, J. M. and Sinclair, A. R. E. 1998. Causes and consequences of migration by large herbivores. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 3: 237-241.
- Congalton, R. G.․Stenback, J. M. and Barrett, R. H. 1993. Mapping deer habitat suitability using remote sensing and geographic information system. Geocarto International 3: 23-33.
- Danilkin, A. and Hewison, A. J. M. 1996. Behavioural ecology of Siberian and European roe deer. Chapman and Hall. London.
- Fruziński, B. and Łabudzki, L. 1982. Sex and age structure of a forest deer population under hunting pressure. Acta Theriologica 27: 377-384. https://doi.org/10.4098/AT.arch.82-34
- Gatikh, V. S. 1975. The distribution and numbers of wild ungulates in the Pripyat Preserve. Ungulates of the USSR. Nauka Publisher. Moscow.
- Geist, V. 1998. Deer of the world: their evolution, behaviour, and ecology. Stackpole Books. Mechaniesburg.
- Baleishis, R. M. and Prusaite, Y. A. 1980. European roe deer feeding in a small deciduous forest of North Lithuania in 1975-1976. Proceedings of the Lithuanian Academy of Sciences 89: 85-91.
- Bromlei, G. F. and Kucherenko, S. P. 1983. Ungulates of the Southern Far East. Nauka Publishers. Moscow.
- Hell, P. 1979. Srnica zver. Bratislava. Priroda.
- Jang, W. Y. 2003. The Development of birds habitat distribution modelling using GIS: A case study on Seorak National Park. A master degree paper of Seoul National University.
- Kim, B. S.․Oh, J. K. and Oh, H. S. 2007. The individual status and management plan of Roe deer(Capreolus pygargus tianschanicus Satunin) inhabiting Hallasan, Jeju island, Korea. Korean Society of Environment and Ecology 21: 366-373.
- Krebs, C. J. 1985. Ecology: the experimental analysis of distribution and abundance, (3rd ed). Harper and Row. New York.
- Leopold, A. 1993. Game management. Charles Scribner and Sons. New York.
- Mysterud, A. 1999. Seasonal migration pattern and home range of roe deer (Capreolus capreolus) in an altitudinal gradient in southern Norway. Journal of Zoology 247: 479-486. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-7998.1999.tb01011.x
- Mysterud, A.․Bjornsen, B. H. and Ostbye, E. 1997. Effects of snow depth on food and habitat selection by roe deer Capreolus capreolus along an altitudinal gradient in southcentral Norway. Wildlife Biology 3: 27-33.
- White, G. C. and Garrott, R. A. 1990. Analysis of wildlife radio-tracking data. Academic Press. San Diago.