- Volume 19 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Leachate during Vegetable Waste Composting using Rotary Drum Composter
- Varma, V. Sudharsan (Department of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati) ;
- Kalamdhad, Ajay S. (Department of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati)
- Received : 2013.10.08
- Accepted : 2013.12.23
- Published : 2014.03.30
In India, disposal of vegetable market waste along with municipal solid waste in landfills or dumpsites is creating much nuisance in terms of odor nuisance, leachate production, and greenhouse gas emission into the atmosphere. Therefore, vegetable waste with high biodegradable and nutrient content is composted in a 550-L batch scale rotary drum composter to study the degradation process and its compost properties for its potential reuse as high quality compost. A total 150 kg of working volume was fixed for composting studies with two different ratios, trial A (6:3:1) of C/N 24 and trial B (8:1:1) of C/N 30, respectively. A maximum of
Supported by : Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation
- Kumar JS, Subbiah KV, Prasada Rao PV. Management of municipal solid waste by vermicompost: a case study of Eluru. Int. J. Environ. Sci. 2010;1:82-90.
- Ghatwai M. Perishable production [Internet]. New Delhi: The Indian Express; c2014 [cited 2013 Oct 8]. Available from: http://archive.indianexpress.com/news/perishable-production/1165189/.
- Larney FJ, Hao X. A review of composting as a management alternative for beef cattle feedlot manure in southern Alberta, Canada. Bioresour. Technol. 2007;98:3221-3227. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2006.07.005
- Montemurro F, Maiorana M, Convertini G, Ferri D. Compost organic amendments in fodder crops: effects on yield, nitrogen utilization and soil characteristics. Compost Sci. Util. 2006;14:114-123. https://doi.org/10.1080/1065657X.2006.10702272
- Xiao Y, Zeng GM, Yang ZH, et al. Changes in the actinomycetal communities during continuous thermophilic composting as revealed by denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis and quantitative PCR. Bioresour. Technol. 2011;102:1383-1388. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2010.09.034
- Ruggieri L, Gea T, Mompeo M, Sayara T, Sanchez A. Performance of different systems for the composting of the sourceselected organic fraction of municipal solid waste. Biosyst. Eng. 2008;101:78-86. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biosystemseng.2008.05.014
- Chanakya HN, Ramachandra TV, Guruprasad M, Devi V. Micro-treatment options for components of organic fraction of MSW in residential areas. Environ. Monit. Assess. 2007;135:129-139. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-007-9711-5
- Bhatia A, Ali M, Sahoo J, et al. Microbial diversity during rotary drum and windrow pile composting. J. Basic Microbiol. 2012;52:5-15. https://doi.org/10.1002/jobm.201100077
- Kalamdhad AS, Pasha M, Kazmi AA. Stability evaluation of compost by respiration techniques in a rotary drum composter. Resour. Conserv. Recycl. 2008;52:829-834. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resconrec.2007.12.003
- Kalamdhad AS, Kazmi AA. Mixed organic waste composting using rotary drum composter, Int. J. Environ. Waste Manag. 2008;2:24-36. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJEWM.2008.016989
- Tiquia SM, Tam NF. Fate of nitrogen during composting of chicken litter. Environ. Pollut. 2000;110:535-541. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0269-7491(99)00319-X
- Andersen JK, Boldrin A, Samuelsson J, Christensen TH, Scheutz C. Quantification of greenhouse gas emissions from windrow composting of garden waste. J. Environ. Qual. 2010;39:713-724. https://doi.org/10.2134/jeq2009.0329
- Ryckeboer J, Mergaert J, Coosemans J, Deprins K, Swings J. Microbiological aspects of biowaste during composting in a monitored compost bin. J. Appl. Microbiol. 2003;94:127-137. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2672.2003.01800.x
- Eaton AD, Clesceri LS, Rice EW, Greenberg AE. Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater. 21st ed. Washington: American Public Health Association; 2005.
- Mohee R, Mudhoo A. Analysis of the physical parameters of an in-vessel composting matrix. Powder Technol. 2005;155:92-99. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.powtec.2005.05.051
- Tsai SH, Liu CP, Yanga SS. Microbial conversion of food wastes for biofertilizer production with thermophilic lipolytic microbes. Renew. Energy. 2007;32:904-915. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2006.04.019
- Smith DC, Beharee V, Hughes JC. The effects of composts produced by a simple composting procedure on the yields of Swiss chard (Beta vulgaris L. var. flavescens) and common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L. var. nanus). Sci. Hortic. (Amsterdam) 2001;91:393-406. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-4238(01)00273-4
- Smith DR, Cawthon DL, Sloan JJ, Freeman TM. In-vessel, mechanical rotating drum composting of institutional food residuals. Compost Sci. Util. 2006;14:155-161. https://doi.org/10.1080/1065657X.2006.10702277
- Singh J, Kalamdhad AS. Concentration and speciation of heavy metals during water hyacinth composting. Bioresour. Technol. 2012;124:169-179. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2012.08.043
- Kuhlman LR. Windrow composting of agricultural and municipal wastes. Resour. Conserv. Recycl. 1989;4:151-160.
- Saidi N, Kouki S, M'hiri F, et al. Microbiological parameters and maturity degree during composting of Posidonia oceanica residues mixed with vegetable wastes in semi-arid pedo- climatic condition. J. Environ. Sci. (China) 2009;21:1452-1458. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1001-0742(08)62439-0
- Nair J, Okamitsu K. Microbial inoculants for small scale composting of putrescible kitchen wastes. Waste Manag. 2010;30:977-982. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2010.02.016
- Kalamdhad AS, Singh YK, Ali M, Khwairakpam M, Kazmi AA. Rotary drum composting of vegetable waste and tree leaves. Bioresour. Technol. 2009;100:6442-6450. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2009.07.030
- Wang P, Changa CM, Watson ME, Dick WA, Chen Y, Hoitink HA. Maturity indices for composted dairy and pig manures, Soil Biol. Biochem. 2004;36:767-776. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soilbio.2003.12.012
- Amner W, McCarthy AJ, Edwards C. Quantitative assessment of factors affecting the recovery of indigenous and released thermophilic bacteria from compost. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 1988;54:3107-3112.
- Tchobanoglous G, Theisen, H, Vigil SA. Integrated solid waste management: engineering principles and management issues. New York: McGraw-Hill; 1993.
- Ishii K, Fukui M, Takii S. Microbial succession during a composting process as evaluated by denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis analysis. J. Appl. Microbiol. 2000;89:768-777. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2672.2000.01177.x
- Mustin M. Le compost: gestion de la matiere organique [Management of compost as organic matter]. Paris: Francois DUBUSC Edition; 1987.
- Kalamdhad AS, Kazmi AA. Effects of C/N ratio on mixed organic waste composting in a rotary drum composter. Int. J. Environ. Eng. 2009;4:187-207.
- Carbon decomposition by inoculating Phanerochaete chrysosporium during drum composting of agricultural waste vol.22, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-014-3989-y
- Development of organic fertilizers from food market waste and urban gardening by composting in Ecuador vol.12, pp.7, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0181621
- Bioconversion of flowers waste: Composting using dry leaves as bulking agent vol.22, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4491/eer.2016.126
- Ecotoxicity of In-Situ Produced Compost Intended for Landfill Restoration vol.5, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/environments5100111