- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Recognition of rolling bearing fault patterns and sizes based on two-layer support vector regression machines
- Shen, Changqing ;
- Wang, Dong ;
- Liu, Yongbin ;
- Kong, Fanrang ;
- Tse, Peter W.
- Received : 2013.01.15
- Accepted : 2013.06.01
- Published : 2014.03.25
The fault diagnosis of rolling element bearings has drawn considerable research attention in recent years because these fundamental elements frequently suffer failures that could result in unexpected machine breakdowns. Artificial intelligence algorithms such as artificial neural networks (ANNs) and support vector machines (SVMs) have been widely investigated to identify various faults. However, as the useful life of a bearing deteriorates, identifying early bearing faults and evaluating their sizes of development are necessary for timely maintenance actions to prevent accidents. This study proposes a new two-layer structure consisting of support vector regression machines (SVRMs) to recognize bearing fault patterns and track the fault sizes. The statistical parameters used to track the fault evolutions are first extracted to condense original vibration signals into a few compact features. The extracted features are then used to train the proposed two-layer SVRMs structure. Once these parameters of the proposed two-layer SVRMs structure are determined, the features extracted from other vibration signals can be used to predict the unknown bearing health conditions. The effectiveness of the proposed method is validated by experimental datasets collected from a test rig. The results demonstrate that the proposed method is highly accurate in differentiating between fault patterns and determining their fault severities. Further, comparisons are performed to show that the proposed method is better than some existing methods.
statistical parameters;bearing fault diagnosis;deterioration evaluation;a two-layer structure;support vector regression machine
- Di Maio, F., Hu, J., Tse, P., Pecht, M., Tsui, K. and Zio, E. (2011), "Ensemble-approaches for clustering health status of oil sand pumps", Expert Syst. Appl., 39(5), 4847-4859.
- Caesarendra, W., Widodo, A. and Yang, B.S. (2011), "Combination of probability approach and support vector machine towards machine health prognostics", Probabilist. Eng. Mech., 26(2), 165-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.probengmech.2010.09.008
- Cai, G.G., Chen, X.F., Li, B., Chen, B.J. and He, Z.J. (2012), "Operation reliability assessment for cutting tools by applying a proportional covariate model to condition monitoring information", Sensors, 12(10), 12964-12987. https://doi.org/10.3390/s121012964
- Gryllias,K.C., and Antoniadis, I.A. (2012), "A support vector machine approach based on physical model training for rolling element bearing fault detection in industrial environments", Eng. Apl. Artif. Intel., 25(2), 326-344. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engappai.2011.09.010
- Jiang, H. and He, W.W. (2012), "Grey relational grade in local support vector regression for financial time series prediction", Expert Syst. Appl., 39(3), 2256-2262. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2011.07.100
- Heng, A., Zhang, S., Tan, C.C. and Mathew, J. (2009), "Rotating machinery prognostics: State of the art, challenges and opportunities", Mech. Syst. Signal Pr., 23(3), 724-739. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymssp.2008.06.009
- Hu, Q., He, Z.J., Zhang, Z.S. and Zi, Y.Y. (2007), "Fault diagnosis of rotating machinery based on improved wavelet package transform and SVMS ensemble", Mech. Syst. Signal Pr., 21(2), 688-705. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymssp.2006.01.007
- Huang, N.E., Shen, Z. and Long, S.R. (1998), "The empirical mode decomposition and the Hilbert spectrum for nonlinear and non-stationary time series analysis", Proceedings of the Royal Society of London.
- Jiang, Q., Li, T., Yao, Y. and Cai, J.H. (2012), "Study of rolling bearing SVM pattern recognition based on correlation dimension of IMF", Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Intelligent System Design and Engineering Application (ISDEA).
- Konar, P. and Chattopadhyay, P. (2011), "Bearing fault detection of induction motor using wavelet and Support Vector Machines (SVMs)", Appl. Soft. Comput., 11(6), 4203-4211. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asoc.2011.03.014
- Rafiee, J., Arvani, F., Harifi, A. and Sadeghi, M.H. (2007), "Intelligent condition monitoring of a gearbox using artificial neural network", Mech. Syst. Signal Pr., 21(4), 1746-1754. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymssp.2006.08.005
- Lei, Y.G., He, Z.J., Zi, Y.Y. and Chen, X.F. (2008), "New clustering algorithm-based fault diagnosis using compensation distance evaluation technique", Mech. Syst. Signal Proc., 22(2), 419-435. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymssp.2007.07.013
- Loparo, K.A. (2012), Case western reserve university bearing data center: http://csegroups.case.edu/bearingdatacenter/home.
- Minh, H.Q., Niyogi, P. and Yao, Y. (2006), "Mercer's theorem, feature maps, and smoothing", Proceedings of the 19th Annual Conference on Learning Theory, Pittsburgh, United states.
- Shen, Z.J., He, Z.J., Chen, X.F., Sun, C. and Liu, Z.W. (2012), "A monotonic degradation assessment index of rolling bearings using fuzzy support vector data description and running time", Sensors, 12(8), 10109-10135. https://doi.org/10.3390/s120810109
- Smola, A.J. and Schölkopf, B. (2004), "A tutorial on support vector regression", Stat. Comput., 14(3), 199-222. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:STCO.0000035301.49549.88
- Wang, S.B., Huang, W.G. and Zhu, Z.K. (2011), "Transient modeling and parameter identification based on wavelet and correlation filtering for rotating machine fault diagnosis", Mech. Syst. Signal Pr., 25(4), 1299-1320. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymssp.2010.10.013
- Vapnik, V.N. (1995), The nature of statistical learning theory, Springer, Berlin.
- Wang, D., Miao, Q. and Kang, R. (2009), "Robust health evaluation of gearbox subject to tooth failure with wavelet decomposition", J. Sound Vib., 324(3-5), 1141-1157. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2009.02.013
- Wang, D., Tse, P., Guo, W. and Miao, Q. (2011), "Support vector data description for fusion of multiple health indicators for enhancing gearbox fault diagnosis and prognosis", Meas. Sci. Technol., 22(2), 025102. https://doi.org/10.1088/0957-0233/22/2/025102
- Widodo, A. and Yang, B.S. (2007), "Support vector machine in machine condition monitoring and fault diagnosis", Mech. Syst. Signal Pr., 21(6), 2560-2574. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymssp.2006.12.007
- Wong, W.T., and Hsu, S.H. (2006), "Application of SVM and ANN for image retrieval", Eur. J. Oper. Res., 173(3), 938-950. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2005.08.002
- Yan, R.Q. and Gao, R. (2009), "Base wavelet selection for bearing vibration signal analysis", Int. J. Wavelets Multiresolut. Inf. Process., 7(4), 411-426. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0219691309002994
- Zhao, S.L. and Zhang, Y.C. (2008), "SVM classifier based fault diagnosis of the satellite attitude control system", Proceedings of the 2008 International Conference on Intelligent Computation Technology and Automation.
- Zhu, D.C., Feng, Y.P., Chen, Q. and Cai, J.B. (2010), "Image recognition technology in rotating machinery fault diagnosis based on artificial immune", Smart. Struct. Syst., 6(4), 389-403. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2010.6.4.389
- Fault severity recognition of aviation piston pump based on feature extraction of EEMD paving and optimized support vector regression model vol.67, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ast.2017.03.039
- A data mining approach for machine fault diagnosis based on associated frequency patterns vol.45, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10489-016-0781-3
- Deep Fault Recognizer: An Integrated Model to Denoise and Extract Features for Fault Diagnosis in Rotating Machinery vol.7, pp.12, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3390/app7010041
- A fault diagnosis method of rolling element bearings based on CEEMDAN vol.231, pp.10, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/0954406215624126
- Phase Space Similarity as a Signature for Rolling Bearing Fault Diagnosis and Remaining Useful Life Estimation vol.2016, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/5341970
- An Adaptive Support Vector Regression Machine for the State Prognosis of Mechanical Systems vol.2015, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/469165
- Hierarchical adaptive deep convolution neural network and its application to bearing fault diagnosis vol.93, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.measurement.2016.07.054