- Volume 6 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Use of SMA bars to enhance the seismic performance of SMA braced RC frames
- Meshaly, Mohamed E. (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Western University) ;
- Youssef, Maged A. (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Western University) ;
- Abou Elfath, Hamdy M. (Department of Structural Engineering, Alexandria University)
- Received : 2013.07.03
- Accepted : 2013.11.10
- Published : 2014.03.25
Shape Memory Alloy (SMA) braces can be used to reduce seismic residual deformations observed in steel braced Reinforced Concrete (RC) frames. To further enhance the seismic performance of these frames, the use of SMA bars to reinforce their beams is investigated in this paper. Three-story and nine-story SMA-braced RC frames are designed utilizing regular steel reinforcing bars. Their seismic performance is examined using twenty seismic ground motions. The frames are then re-designed using SMA reinforcing bars. Different design alternatives representing different locations for the SMA reinforcing bars are considered. The optimum locations for the SMA bars are identified after analysing the design alternatives. The seismic performance of these frames has indicated better deformability when SMA bars are used in the beams.
- ACI Committee 318 (2008), Building code requirements for structural concrete, (ACI 318-08) and commentary (ACI 318R-08), American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, MI.
- Alam, M.S., Youssef, M.A. and Nehdi, M. (2008), "Analytical prediction of the seismic behaviour of superelastic shape memory alloy reinforced concrete elements", Eng. Struct., 30(12), 3399-3411. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2008.05.025
- Alam, M.S., Nehdi, M. and Youssef, M.A. (2009), "Seismic performance of concrete frame structures reinforced with superelastic shape memory alloys", Smart Struct. Syst., 5(5), 565-585. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2009.5.5.565
- Asgarian, B. and Moradi, S. (2011), "Seismic response of steel braced frames with shape memory alloy braces", J. Constr. Steel Res., 67(1), 65-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2010.06.006
- Auricchio, F. and Sacco, E. (1997), "A superelastic shape-memory-alloy beam", J. Intell. Mater. Struct., 8(6), 489-501. https://doi.org/10.1177/1045389X9700800602
- Auricchio, F., Fugazza, D., DesRoches, R. (2006), "Earthquake performance of steel frames with nitinol braces", J. Earthq. Eng., 10(1), 45-66.
- IBC (2009), International building code, International code council, Country Club Hills, IL.
- Mander, J.B., Priestley, M.J.N. and Park, R. (1988), "Theoretical stress-strain model for confined concrete", J. Struct. Eng., 114(8), 1804-1826. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1988)114:8(1804)
- Martinez-Rueda, J.E. and Elnashai, A.S. (1997), "Confined concrete model under cyclic load", Mater. Struct., 30(197), 139-147. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02486385
- Saiidi, M.S., O'Brien, M. and Mahmoud, S.Z. (2009), "Cyclic response of concrete bridge columns using superelastic nitinol and bendable concrete", ACI Struct. J., 106(1), 69-77.
- McCormick, J. and DesRoches, R. (2003), "Seismic response reduction using smart bracing elements", Extreme Loadings Conference: Response of Structures to Extreme Loadings, Toronto.
- Paulay, T. and Priestley, M.J.N. (1992), Seismic design of reinforced concrete and masonry buildings, John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- Saiidi, M.S. and Wang, H. (2006), "Exploratory study of seismic response of concrete columns with shape memory alloys reinforcement", ACI Struct. J., 103(3), 435-442.
- Saiidi, M., Sadrossadat-Zadeh, M., Ayoub, C. and Itani, A. (2007), "Pilot study of behavior of concrete beams reinforced with shape memory alloys", J. Mater. Civil Eng., 19(6), 454-461. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0899-1561(2007)19:6(454)
- SeismoStruct (2009), Version 4.0.2, accessed on Feb 2009, available at http://www.seismosoft.com/SeismoStruct/index.htm.
- Vamvatsikos, D. and Cornell, C.A. (2004), "Applied incremental dynamic analysis", Earthq. Spectra, 20(2), 523-555. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1737737
- Youssef, M.A. and Elfeki, M.A. (2012), "Seismic performance of concrete frames reinforced with superelastic shape memory alloys", Smart Struct. Syst., 9(4), 313-333. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2012.9.4.313
- Youssef, M.A., Alam, M.S. and Nehdi, M. (2008), "Experimental investigation on the seismic behavior of beam-column joints reinforced with superelastic shape memory alloys", J. Struct. Eng., 12(7), 1205-1222.
- Seismic Retrofit of Concrete Shear Walls with SMA Tension Braces vol.144, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0001936
- Experimental and analytical assessment of SRF and aramid composites in retrofitting RC columns vol.7, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.7.5.797
- Seismic performance of modular steel frames equipped with shape memory alloy braces vol.16, pp.11, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-018-0394-9