- Volume 6 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Experimental investigation of reinforced concrete columns retrofitted with polyester sheet
- Chang, Chunho (Department of Civil Engineering, Keimyung University) ;
- Kim, Sung Jig (Department of Architectural Engineering, Keimyung University) ;
- Park, Dongbyung (Department of Civil Engineering, Keimyung University) ;
- Choi, Sunghun (Department of Civil Engineering, Keimyung University)
- Received : 2013.01.25
- Accepted : 2013.11.24
- Published : 2014.03.25
This paper experimentally investigates the seismic performance of RC columns retrofitted with Super Reinforcement with Flexibility (SRF), which is a polyester fiber reinforced polymer. A total of three specimens with a scale factor of 1/2 were constructed and tested in order to assess the structural behavior of the retrofitted RC columns. One specimen was a non-seismically designed column without any retrofit, while others were retrofitted with either one or two layers of the polyester belt with urethane as the adhesive. Static cyclic testing with a constant axial load was conducted to assess the seismic performance of the retrofitted RC columns. It is concluded that the SRF retrofitting method increases the strength and ductility of the RC columns and can also impact on the failure mode of the columns.
- ACI (2011), Building code requirements for structural concrete (ACI 318-11) and commentary (ACI 318R-11), American Concrete Institute.
- Bakis, C.E., Bank, L.C., Brown,V.L., Cosenza, E., Davalos, J.F., Lesko, J.J., Machida, A., Rizkalla, S.H. and Triantafillou, T.C. (2002), "Fiber-reinforced polymer composites for construction - state-of-the-art review", J. Compos. Constr., 6(2), 73-87. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0268(2002)6:2(73)
- Bournas, D.A., Triantafillou, M., Zygouris, K. and Stavropoulos, F. (2009), "Textile-reinforced mortar versus FRP jacketing in seismic retrofitting of RC columns with continuous or lap-spliced deformed bars", J. Compos. Constr., 13(5), 360-371. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CC.1943-5614.0000028
- Elnashai, A.S., Papanikolaou, V. and Lee, D. (2004), "Zeus NL - a system for inelastic analysis of structures", Mid-America Earthquake Center CD-Release 04, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- ElSouri, A.M. and Harajli, M.H. (2011), "Seismic repair and strengthening of lap splices in RC columns: carbon fiber-reinforced polymer versus steel confinement", J. Compos. Constr., 15(5), 721-731. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CC.1943-5614.0000213
- Gao, B., Leung, C. and Kim, J. (2005), "Prediction of concrete cover separation failure for RC beams strengthened with CFRP strips", Eng. Struct., 27, 177-189. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2004.09.007
- Gu, D., Wu, G., Wu, Z. and Wu,Y. (2011), "Confinement effectiveness of FRP in retrofitting circular concrete columns under simulated seismic load", J. Compos. Constr., 14(5), 531-540.
- Park, J.W. and Yoo, J.H. (2013), "Axial loading tests and load capacity prediction of slender SHS stub columns strengthened with carbon fiber reinforced polymers", Steel Compos. Struct., 15(2), 131-150. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2013.15.2.131
- Kabeyasawa, T., Tasai, A. and Igarashi, S. (2002), "An economical and efficient method of strengthening reinforced concrete columns against axial load collapse during major earthquake", The Third Workshop on Performance-based Engineering on Reinforced Concrete Building Structures, Seattle, WA. PEER Report 2002/02, 371-384.
- Kabeyasawa, T., Tasai, A. and Igarashi, S. (2004), "Test and analysis of reinforced concrete columns strengthened with polyester sheet", Proceedings of 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Vancouver, B.C., Canada, August.
- Kim, Y., Kabeyasawa, T. and Igarashi, S. (2012), "Dynamic collapse test on eccentric reinforced concrete structures with and without seismic retrofit", Eng. Struct., 34, 95-110. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2011.09.017
- Lee, D.H. and Elnashai, A.S. (2001), "Seismic analysis of RC bridge columns with flexure-shear interaction", J. Struct. Eng., 127(5), 546-553. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2001)127:5(546)
- Perrone, M., Barros, J. and Aprile, A. (2009), "CFRP-based strengthening technique to increase the flexural and energy dissipation capacities of RC columns", J. Compos. Constr., 13(5), 372-383. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CC.1943-5614.0000031
- Priestley, M.J.N., Verma, R. and Xiao, Y. (1994), "Seismic shear strength of reinforced concrete columns", J. Struct. Eng. - ASCE, 120(8), 2310-2329. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1994)120:8(2310)
- Saadatmanesh, H., Ehsani, M.R. and Jin, L. (1997), "Repair of earthquake-damaged RC columns with FRP wraps", ACI Struct. J., 94(2), 206-215.
- Seible, F., Hegemier, G.A., Priestley, M.J.N. and Innamorato, D. (1995), "Developments in bridge column jacketing using advanced composites", Proceedings of the National Seismic Conference on Bridges and Highways, San Diego, December.
- Sheikh, S.A. (2002), "Performance of concrete structures retrofitted with fibre reinforced polymers", Eng. Struct., 24(7), 869-879. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(02)00025-1
- Wang, Y., Ma, Y. and Wu, H. (2011), "Reinforced high-strength concrete square columns confined by aramid FRP jackets. Part I: Experimental study", Steel Compos. Struct., 11(6), 455-468. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2011.11.6.455
- Yamamoto, T. (1992), "FRP strengthening of RC columns for seismic retrofitting", Proceedings of the 10th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Madrid, Spain, July.
- Experimental and analytical assessment of SRF and aramid composites in retrofitting RC columns vol.7, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.7.5.797