- Volume 47 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Seasonal Characteristics of Todarodes pacificus Paralarval Distribution in the Northern East China Sea
북부 동중국해 살오징어(Todarodes pacificus) 유생분포의 계절특성
- Received : 2013.10.01
- Accepted : 2014.01.22
- Published : 2014.02.28
We conducted eight surveys in the northern East China Sea (ECS) in winter (February - April), summer (July), and autumn (October) 2004-2009, to investigate the seasonal distribution of T. pacificus. A total of 482 paralarvae, ranging in mantle length (ML) from 1.0 - 17.0 mm, were collected at 73 out of 181 stations. There were higher numbers of paralarvae during the winter and summer months than in the autumn. There was significant seasonal variation in the paralarval mantle lengths; mantle lengths were longer in winter (April) than in summer (July). The position of oceanic fronts in the study area played an important role in restricting paralarval distribution along the inshore edge of the Tsushima Warm Current (TWC). When the TWC expanded to western Jeju Island in winter and autumn, the paralarval distribution range extended to include western Jeju Island. However, when the TWC was located southeast of Jeju Island in the summer, paralarvae were distributed along the frontal zone off southeast Jeju Island. Sites at which paralarval mantle length was <2.0 mm ML indicated that the spawning ground were likely to be within the northern ECS in winter and summer, but north of the study area in autumn.
Common squid;Distribution;Northern East China Sea;Paralarvae;Todarodes pacificus
- Bower JR and Sakurai Y. 1996. Laboratory observations on Todarodes pacificus (Cephalopoda: Ommastrephidae) egg masses. Amer Malac Bull 13, 65-71.
- Bakun A and Csirke J. 1998. Environmental processes and recruitment variability. In: Squid recruitment dynamics: the genus Illex as a model, the commercial Illex species and influences on variability. Rodhouse PG, Dawe EG and O'dor RK, eds. FAO Fish Tech Pap 376, Rome, Italy., 105-124.
- Bower JR. 1997. A biological study egg masses and paralarvae of the squid Todarodes pacificus. Ph.D. Thesis, Hokkaido University, Hakodate, Japan.
- Bower JR, Nakamura Y, Mori K, Yamamoto J, Isoda T and Sakurai Y. 1999. Distribution of Todarodes pacificus (Cephalopoda: Ommastrephidae) paralarvae near the Kuroshio off southern Kyushu, Japan. Mar Biol 135, 99-106. https://doi.org/10.1007/s002270050606
- Chang PH and Isobe A. 2003. A numerical study on the changjiang Diluted Water in the Yellow and East China Sea. J Geophys Res 108(C9), 3299. http://dx.doi.org/10.1029/2002JC001749. https://doi.org/10.1029/2002JC001749
- Choi KH, Lee CI, Hwang KS, Kim SW, Park JH and Gong Y. 2008. Distribution and migration of Japanese common squid, Todarodes pacificus, in the southwestern part of the East (Japan) sea. Fish Res 91, 281-290. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2007.12.009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2007.12.009
- Dawe EG and Beck PC. 1985. Distribution and size of shortfinned squid (Illex illecebrosus) larvae in the Northwest Atlantic from winter surveys in 1969, 1981 and 1982. J Northw Atlant Fish Sci 6, 43-55. https://doi.org/10.2960/J.v6.a5
- FAO. 2010. FishStat Plus (for fisheries statistical time series) Retrieved from http://www.fao.org/fishery/statistics/software/fishstat on July 24.
- Goto T. 2002. Paralarval distribution of ommastrephid squid Todarodes pacificus during fall in the southern Sea of Japan, and its implication for locating spawning grounds. Bull Mar Sci 71, 299-312.
- Furukawa H and Sakurai Y. 2008. Effect of low salinity on the survival and development of Japanese common squid Todarodes pacificus hatchling. Fish Sci 74, 458-460. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1444-2906.2008.01546.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1444-2906.2008.01546.x
- Gong GC, Chen YL and Liu KK. 1996. Chemical hydrography and chlorophyll-a distribution in the East China Sea in summer:implications in nutrient dynamics. Cont Shelf Res 16, 1561-1590. https://doi.org/10.1016/0278-4343(96)00005-2
- Gong GC, Wen YH, Wang BW and Liu GJ. 2003. Seasonal variation of chlorophyll a concentration, primary production and environmental conditions in the subtropical East China Sea. Deep-Sea Res 50, 1219-1236. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0967-0645(03)00019-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0967-0645(03)00019-5
- Goto T, Kidokoro H and Kasahara S. 2002. Changes in the distribution and abundance of Todarodes pacificus (Cephalopoda, Ommastrephidae) paralarvae in the southwest Sea of Japan with changing stock levels. Fish Sci 68, 198-201. https://doi.org/10.2331/fishsci.68.sup1_198
- JSRFRL. 1973. Survey report of common squid larvae in the Sea of Japan and neighborhood of Kyushu. Japan Sea Reg Fish Res Lab, 1-17.
- Kang S, Park JH and Kim S. 2013. Size-class estimation of the number of walleye pollock Theragra chalcogramma caught in the southwestern East Sea during the 1970s-1990s. Kor J Fish Aquat Sci 46, 445-453. http://dx.doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2013.445. https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2013.0445
- Kim JJ, 2008. Summer occurrence and transport process of common squid (Todarodes pacificus) paralarvae in the East China Sea. MS.D Thesis, Pukyong National Univ, Busan, Korea.
- Kim JJ, 2012. A study of early life stage for Japanese common squid (Todarodes pacificus) based on observations and modeling approaches. Ph.D. Thesis, Pukyong National Univ., Busan, Korea.
- Kim JJ, Lee HH, Kim S and Park C. 2011. Distribution of larvae of the common squid Todarodes pacificus in the northern East China Sea. Kor J Fish Aquat Sci 44, 267-275. https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2011.0267
- Kim YH and Kang YJ. 1995. Population analysis of the common squid, Todarodes pacificus Steenstrup in Korean Waters-1. Separation of population. J Kor Fish Soc 28, 163-173.
- Nasu K, Okutani T and Ogura M. 1991. Squid- from the Organism to Consumption. Seongsandan, Tokyo, Japan, 330.
- KORDI. 2010. Study of the variations in ocean environment and marine ecosystem in the South Sea (northern East China Sea) due to the climate change. KORDI, BSPM 55670-2202-1, 300.
- Lee Y and Kim DY. 2010. Measuring surface water temperature effects on the walleye Pollock fishery production using a translog cost function approach. Environmental and Resource Economics Rex 19, 897-914.
- Murata M. 1989. Population assessment, management and fishery forecasting for the Japanese common squid, Todarodes pacificus. In: Marine invertebrate fisheries: Their assessment and management. Caddy JR, ed. John Wiley and Sons, New York, U.S.A., 613-636.
- Okutani T. 1965. Studies on early life history of decapodan mollusca-I. A synoptic report on rhynchoteuthion larvae of Todarodes pacificus Steenstrup. Bull Tokai Reg Fish Res Lab 41, 25-29.
- Okutani T and Watanabe T. 1983. Stock assessment by larval surveys of the winter population of Todarodes pacificus Steenstrup (Cephalopoda: Ommastrephidae), with a review of early works. Bio Oceanogra 2, 401-431.
- Roper CFE, Sweeny MJ and Nauen CE. 1984. Family Ommastrephidae. In: FAO Species Catalogue. Vol. 3. Cephalopods of the World. An annotated and illustrated catalogue of species of interest to fisheries. FAO Fisheries Synopsis, Rome, Italy, 156-186.
- Sakurai Y, Bower JR, Nakamura Y, Yamamoto S and Watanabe K. 1996. Effect of temperature on development and survival of Todarodes pacificus embryos and paralarvae. Amer Mal Bull 13, 89-95.
- Sakurai Y, Kiyofuji H, Saitoh S, Goto T and Hiyama Y. 2000. Changes in inferred spawning areas of Todarodes pacificus (Cephalopoa: Ommastrephidae) due to changing environmental conditions. ICES J Mar Sci 57, 24-30. https://doi.org/10.1006/jmsc.2000.0667
- Sakurai Y, Yamamoto J, Uji R, Shimra K and Masuda S. 2002. Floating Todarodes pacificus laid egg mass in pycnocline. Ikarui Shigen Kenkyu Kaigi Hokoku 13, 72-75.
- Shojima Y. 1972. The common squid, Todarodes pacificus Steenstrup, in the East China Sea-II. Eggs, larvae and spawning ground. Bull of Seikai Reg Fish Res Lab 42, 25-58.
- Watanabe T. 1965. Ecological distribution of rhynchoteution larva of common squid, Todarodes pacificus Steenstrup, in the southeastern waters off Japan during the winters, 1959-1962. Bull Tokai Reg Fish Res Lab 43, 1-12.
- Wormuth JH, O'Dor RK, Balch N, Dunning MC, Forch EC, Harman RF and Rowell TW. 1992. OMMASTREPHIDAE. In: "Larval" and juvenile cephalopods: A Manual for Their Identification. Sweeney MJ, Roper CFE, Mangold KM, Clark MR, and Boletzky SV, eds. Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington D.C., U.S.A., 105-119.
- Yamamoto, J, Masuda S, Miyashita K, Uji R and Sakurai Y. 2002. Investigation of the early stage of the ommastrephid squid Todarodes pacificus near the Oki Isalnd (Sea of Japan). Bull Mar Sci 71, 987-992.
- Yamamoto J, Shimura T, Uji R, Masuda S, Watanabe S and Sakurai Y. 2007. Vertical distribution of Todarodes pacificus (Cephalopoda: Ommastrephidae) paralarvae near the Oki Island, southwestern Sea of Japan. Mar Biol 153, 7-13. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00227-007-0775-0. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00227-007-0775-0
- Distribution of Water Temperature and Common Squid Todarodes pacificus Paralavae around Korean Waters in 2013, 2014 vol.22, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7837/kosomes.2016.22.1.011
- Understanding interannual variability in the distribution of, and transport processes affecting, the early life stages of Todarodes pacificus using behavioral-hydrodynamic modeling approaches vol.138, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pocean.2015.04.003
- Comparison of the Distribution of Demersal Fish Biomass Determined by Bottom Trawl and Hydroacoustic Surveys in the Northern East China Sea in Winter, 2014 vol.48, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2015.0960
Grant : 첨단 해양탐사 시스템 활용 한반도 주변 해양변동 조사 및 운영
Supported by : 국립수산과학원