- Volume 16 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Health Promotion Behavior according to Body Mass Index and Self-Perception of Body Weight in Female Nursing Students
간호학과 여학생의 체질량지수와 체중지각에 따른 건강증진행위
Yu, Su Jeung;Lee, Kyung-Sook;Kim, Joo Hyun;Lim, Kyung Choon;Park, Jin Sook
- Received : 2014.01.21
- Accepted : 2014.02.10
- Published : 2014.02.28
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to investigate the health promotion behavior according to body mass index (BMI) and self-perception of obesity in female nursing students. Methods: The subjects of this study were 143 female nursing students. The data were collected using a questionnaire about health, life style and general characteristics. BMI, waist and hip circumference, flexibility, and gripping force were measured. Data were analyzed with SPSS/WIN 20.0 program. Results: Subjects were divided into three groups including true overweight (16.1%), false overweight (29.2%), and true normal weight group (43.5%) based on their BMI and self-perception about obesity. There were significant differences among the three groups in alcohol consumption, self-confidence on the accomplishment of desired weight in a year, gap between actual and desired weight, waist circumference, waist-hip ratio, and interpersonal relationship. The true normal weight group shows significantly higher interpersonal relationships than the true overweight group. Conclusion: It was determined that special strategies for increasing appropriate self-perception about obesity and health behaviors for female nursing students should be developed.
Health behavior;Body mass index;Perception;Nursing students
- Chang, E. Y., Kim, J. S., & Shin, S. J. (2009). Health promotion lifestyle according to self-perception of obesity and objective status measured by bioelectric impedance analysis in college women. Journal of Korean Academy Nursing, 39(5), 693-699. http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2009.39.5.693 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2009.39.5.693
- Chang, V. W., & Christakis, N. A. (2003). Self-perception of weight appropriateness in the United States. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 24(4), 332-339. DOI:10.1016/S0749-3797(03)00020-5 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-3797(03)00020-5
- Cheung, P. C., Ip, P. L., Lam, S. T., & Bibby, H. (2007). A study on body weight perception and weight control behavior among adolescents in Hong Kong. Hong Kong Medical Journal, 13(1), 16-21.
- Duggan, S. J., & McCreary, D. R. (2004). Body image, eating disorders, and the drive for muscularity in Gay and heterosexual men: The influence of media images. Journal of Homosexuality, 47(3-4), 45-58. DOI:10.1300/J082v47n03_03 https://doi.org/10.1300/J082v47n03_03
- Chung, C. W., & Lee, S. J. (2013). Effects of body weight control behaviors on bone mineral density in Korean young adult women. Korean Journal of Women's Health Nursing, 19(1), 57-65. http://dx.doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2013.19.1.57 https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2013.19.1.57
- Chung, S. K., & Paek, K. S. (2005). The comparison of waist circumstance, waist to hip ratio and body mass index in female college students. Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, 16(4), 527-533.
- Clemens, H., Thombs, D., Olds, R. S., & Gordon, K. L. (2008). Normative beliefs as risk factors for involvement in unhealthy weight control behavior. Journal of American College Health, 56(6), 635-641. https://doi.org/10.3200/JACH.56.6.635-642
- Faul, F., Erdfelder, E., Buchner, A., & Lang, A. G. (2009). Statistical power analysis using G*Power 3.1: Tests for correlation and regression analyses. Behavior Research Method, 41(4), 1149-1160. doi:10.3758/BRM.41.4.1149 https://doi.org/10.3758/BRM.41.4.1149
- Han, K. S. (2005). Self efficacy, health promoting behaviors, and symptoms of stress among university students. Journal of Korean Academy Nursing, 35(3), 585-592.
- Hong, S. H. (2013), The Relationship between Perceived Health Status and Health Promoting Behaviors among Nursing Students. Journal Korean Academy of Social Nursing Education, 19(1), 78-86. http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.1.78 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.1.78
- Jin, E. H. (2005). A study on the body mass index and health behaviors in college students. Journal Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 11(2), 200-205.
- Kim, J. M., Jung, H. N., & Kim, H. J. (2012). The effect of female college students' body image and stress on smoking motivation: The mediating effects of depression. Korean Journal of Counselling, 13(6), 3023-3039.
- Kim, H. J. (2012). The effects of sociocultural attitudes toward appearance, appearance satisfaction, body-image, and self-esteem on interpersonal relationship ability of nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy Society Nursing Education, 8(1), 62-70. http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.1.062 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.1.062
- Kim, H. K. (2006). Factors influencing health promoting behaviors of university students using Pender's model. Korean Journal of Wemen's Health Nursing, 12(2), 132-141.
- Kim, J. H., Park, E. Y., & Lim, K. C. (2012). Self-reported realities of health behavior of undergraduate students after web-based health promotion education: Qualitative content analysis. Journal of Korean Academy Social Nursing Education, 18(3), 413-423. http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.3.413 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.3.413
- Kim, K. H., Kim, O. R., Chung, K. O., Jeong, K. S., & Lee, E. J. (2004). Weight control experience, body image and stress coping according to obesity in college female student. Journal of Kimcheon Science College, 30, 63-76.
- Korea Society for the Study of Obecity. (2010). Korea Society for the Study of Obesity Fact Sheet: Obesity, Diseases Barometer. Retrieved April. 20, 2013. From http://www.kosso.or.kr/board/download.php?code=general&comm=&num=778&field=data_file research & Methods, 41, 1149-1160
- Lee, E. H., Lee, K-S., So, A. Y., & Smith-Stoner, M. (2010). Scale development: The personal power of health care (PPHC). Journal of Korean Academy Society of Nursing Education, 16(1), 129-139. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2010.16.1.129
- Park, I. S., Kim, R., & Park, M. H. (2007). A study of factors influencing health promoting behaviors in nursing students. Journa of Korean Academy Society Nursing Education, 13(2), 203-211.
- Shin, H. S., & Paik, S. N. (2003). Body image, self-esteem and depression in college female students-normal and overweight. Journal of Korean Academy Nursing, 33(3), 331-338.
- Park, J. W., Park, J. M., & Ha, N. S. (2004). A study on the obesity and weight control methods of college students. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing, 13(1), 5-13.
- Park, J. Y. (2011). The BMI, body image recognition, and weight control behavior of female college students. Journal of Korean Academy Fundamental Nursing, 18(4), 444-451.
- Reeve, K. L., Shumaker, C. J., Yearwood, E. L., Crowell, N. A., & Riley, J. B. (2013). Perceived stress and social support in undergraduate nursing students' educational experiences. Nurse Education Today, 33(4), 419-424. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2012.11.009 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2012.11.009
- Song, M. R., Lee, H. W., Jo, J. Y., & Kim, E. Y. (2010). Analysis of women's body mass index, weight perception and obesity-related quality of life. Journal of Korean Academy Fundamental Nursing, 17(3), 419-426.
- Walker, S. N., Sechrist, K. R., & Pender, N. J. (1995). Health promotion model- instruments to measure health promoting lifestyle: Health-promoting lifestyle profile [HPLP II] (Adult Version). from http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/2027.42/85349/3/HPLP_II-English_Version.pdf
- Wardle, J., Haase, A. M., & Steptoe, A. (2006). Body image and weight control in young adults: International comparisons in university students from 22 countries. International Journal of Obesity, 30, 644-651. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0803050
- Yang, H. Y., & Byeon, Y. S. (2012). Weight control behavior in women college students and factors influencing behavior. Journal of Korean Academy Fundamental Nursing, 19(2), 190-200. http://dx.doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.2.190 https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.2.190
- Yang, N. Y., & Moon, S. Y. (2013). The impact of health status, health promoting behaviors, and social problem ability on college adjustment among nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Social Nursing Education, 19(1), 33-42. http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.1.33 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.1.33
- Yom, Y. H., & Chang, H. K. (2013). Factors affecting quality of life according to BMI of women college students. Journal of Korean Academy Fundamental Nursing, 20(2), 168-176. http://dx.doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2013.20.2.168 https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2013.20.2.168
- Suitable Health Pattern Type Mapping Techniques in Body Mass Index vol.21, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.9708/jksci.2016.21.2.105
- The Relationships between Body Mass Index, Nutrition Knowledge and the Health Promotion Behavior of Nursing Students vol.18, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2016.18.2.87
- Impacting Factors on Weight Control Steps with Respect to Diet Experience and Body Mass Index among University Students vol.23, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7570/kjo.2014.23.4.250
- The Correlation Analysis of Fluid Intake, Skin Hydration and Skin pH of College Students vol.17, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2015.17.2.132