- Volume 24 Issue 1
For a signal such as speech showing piece-wise linear shape in a very short time period, a nonuniform sampling method based on the inflection point detection (IPD) is proposed to reduce data rate. The method exploits the geometrical characteristics of signal further than the existing local maxima/minima detection (MMD) based sampling method. As results, the reconstructed signal by the interpolation of the IPD based sampled data resembles the original speech more. Computer simulation shows that the proposed IPD based method produces about 9~23 dB improvement over the existing MMD method. To show the usefulness of the IPD technique, it is applied to speech coding, and compared to the continuously variable slope delta modulation (CVSD). The nonuniformly sampled data is binary coded with one bit flag set "1". Noninflection samples are not sent, but only flag bits set 0 are sent. The method shows 0.3 ~ 9 dB SNR and 0.5 ~ 1.3 mean opinion score (MOS) improvements over the CVSD.
Nonuniform Sampling;Inflection Point Detection;Variable Bitrate Speech Coding;Maxima/Minima detection
- A.M. Kondoz, Digital Speech, John Wiley & Sons, England, 1994.
- L. D. Davisson, "Data compression using straight line interpolation," IEEE Trans. on Information Theory, vol. IT-14, No.3, pp. 390-394, 1968.
- J. W. Mark, and T. D. Todd, "A nonuniform sampling approach to data compression," IEEE Trans. on Communications, vol. COM-29, No.1, pp. 24-32, 1981.
- M. Budaes, and L. Goras, "On speech signal reconstruction from local extreme values," Proc. of ISSCS, vol. I, pp. 315-318, 2005.
- S. Elramly, S. G. Foda, and M. El-shafie, "Continuous variable sampling rate, application on speech," Proc. of IEEE ISCC, pp. 189-193, 1997.
- M. Bae, W. Lee, and S. Im, "On a new vocoder technique by the nonuniform sampling," Proc. of IEEE MILCOM, vol.2, pp. 649-652, 1996.
- M. R. Nakhai, and F. A. Marvasti, "Application of extremum sampling in speech coding," Proc. of IEEE ICASSP , vol. 6, pp. 3842-3845, 2000.
- T. Fjallbrant, "Method of data reduction of sampled speech signals by using nonuniform sampling and a time-variable digital filter," Electronics Letters, vol. 13, No.11, pp. 334-335, 1977. https://doi.org/10.1049/el:19770243
- P. K. Ghosh, and T. V. Sreenivas, "Dynamic programming based optimum non-uniform samples for speech reconstruction and coding," Proc. ICASSP, vol. I, pp. 1221-1224, 2006.
- G. Lee and W. Kim, "Robust speech parameters for the emotional speech recognition," Journal of the Korea Institute of Intelligent Systems, vol. 22, pp. 681-686, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5391/JKIIS.2012.22.6.681
- W. Kim, "Emotion robust speech recognition using speech transformation," Journal of the Korea Institute of Intelligent Systems, vol. 20, pp. 683-687, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5391/JKIIS.2010.20.5.683
- B. Boashash, "Estimating and interpreting the instantaneous frequency of a signal-Part 2: Algorithms and applications," Proc. IEEE, vol. 80, pp. 540-568, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1109/5.135378
- W. H. Press, B. P. Flannery, S. A. Teukolsky, and W. T. Vetterling, Numerical Recipes: The art of scientific computing, Cambridge University Press, London, U.K., 1986.
- L. Rabiner and R. Schafer, Digital processing of speech signals, Prentice-Hall, NJ, 1978.