- Volume 41 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Insecticidal Activities of Tussilago farfara Extracts against Culex pipiens pallens and Tetranychus urticae
빨간집모기와 점박이응애에 대한 관동화(Tussilago farfara) 추출물의 살충효과
- Park, Sung Ho (Department of Applied Biology, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Chungnam National University) ;
- Oh, Hyun-Woo (Korea Research Institute of Bioscience and Biotechnology) ;
- Kwon, Hye-Ri (Department of Applied Biology, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Chungnam National University) ;
- Seo, Mi-Ja (Department of Applied Biology, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Chungnam National University) ;
- Yu, Yong-Man (Department of Applied Biology, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Chungnam National University) ;
- Youn, Young-Nam (Department of Applied Biology, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Chungnam National University)
- 박성호 (충남대학교 농업생명과학대학 응용생물학과) ;
- 오현우 (한국생명공학연구원) ;
- 권혜리 (충남대학교 농업생명과학대학 응용생물학과) ;
- 서미자 (충남대학교 농업생명과학대학 응용생물학과) ;
- 유용만 (충남대학교 농업생명과학대학 응용생물학과) ;
- 윤영남 (충남대학교 농업생명과학대학 응용생물학과)
- Received : 2014.05.29
- Accepted : 2014.06.30
- Published : 2014.09.30
Aspiring to the new raw materials of insecticides is one of the plant extracts. The material structure of a variety of plant extracts have because the material to the defense of the plant itself, the case of insecticides, using plant extracts, safe, has low toxicity and has the advantage of highly distinctive and fall. Coltsfoot (Tussilago farfara L.) is belonging to the family Compositae, and distributed in all parts of China as medicinal plants and indigenous plants used. Coltsfoot is known that it is effect to respiratory disease and has an antiviral effect. However, the reported insecticidal activity of coltsfoot could be not found. Fortunately, I found insecticidal activities when I was screening the bioassay against several insects with a lot of plant extracts. Using the ethanol extract of the Tussilago farfara, there were insecticidal activities against Culex pipiens pallens and Tetranychus urticae. There were several fractions in ethanol extract of coltsfoot by using various organic solvents. Hexane fraction showed a higher insecticidal activity than any other fraction. It is confirmed that hexane fraction contained pyrethrin by using HPLC analysis. So, it might be suggested that extract of coltsfoot has an insecticidal activity and its effect due to a ingredient of pyrethrin.
Tussilago farfara;insecticidal activity;Culex pipiens pallens;Tetranychus urticae
- Babu R. Murugan K. 1998. Interactive effect of neem seed kernel and neem gum extracts on the control of Culex quinquefasciatus. Neem Newsletter. 15(2):9-11.
- Brown CM, DeMaria A. 2012. The Resurgence of West nile virus. Ann. Internal. Med. 157(11):823-824. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-157-11-201212040-00543
- Calmasur O, Aslan I, Sahin F. 2006. Insecticidal and acaricidal effect of three Lamiaceae plant essential oils against Tetranychus urticae Koch and Bemisia tabaci Genn. Industrial Crops & Products. 23(2):140-146. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indcrop.2005.05.003
- Choi HY. 2005. Studies on the susceptibility of insecticides and killing effect by thermal foraging against Culex pipiens pallens of Asian strain. J. Sanitation 20(3):44-50.
- Chon SU, Kim DI, Choi YS. 2003. Assessments on insecticidal and fungicidal activities by aerial part extracts from several compositae plants. Kor. J. Weed Sci. 23:81-91.
- Chon SU, Kim DI, Kang KS. 2008. Insecticidal potential of methanol extract and its fractions from Ficuscarica L. leaves. J. Pesticide Sci 12(3):243-248.
- Coria C, Almiron W, Valladares G, Carpinella C, Luduena F, Defago M, Palacios S. 2008. Larvicide and oviposition deterrent effects of fruit and leaf extracts from Melia azedarach L. on Aedes aegypti (L.) (Diptera: Culicidae). Biores. Technol. 99(8):3066-3070. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2007.06.012
- Galvin JR, Waldrop JHL. 1990. The future of sensory evaluation in the food industry. Food Technol. 44:95-100.
- Jeyabalan D, Arul N, Thangamathi P. 2003. Studies on effects of Pelargonium citrosa leaf extracts on malarial vector, Anopheles stephensi liston. Biores. Technol. 89:185-189. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0960-8524(03)00036-1
- Jung HS, Cha MK, Kwon YJ, So JS. 2005. Differential inhibitory effect of Artemisia extract between Staphylococcus aureus and vaginal Lactobacillus spp. J. Biotechnol. Bioeng 20(3): 228-232.
- Kang SH, Kim MK, Seo DK, Kim KH. 2006. Insecticidal activity of essential oils against larvae of Culex pipiens pallens. Kor. J. Pesticide Sci. 10(1):43-49.
- Kaushik R, Saini P. 2008. Larvicidal activity of leaf extract of Millingtonia hortensis (Family: Bignoniaceae) against Anopheles stephensi, Culex quinquefasciatus and Aedes aegypti. J. vector Dis 45(1):66-69.
- Kim DI, Kim SG, Kang BR, Ko SJ, Kim JS, Kim SS. 2009. Management of two spotted spider mite, Tetranychus urticae, on organic strawberry field in Jeonnam area and toxicity of natural enemies against crude extract of Chrysanthimum cinerariefolium and Melia azedarach. J. Organ. Agricul. 17(2):211-226.
- Kim DI, Kim SG, Kim SK, Ko SJ, Kang BY, Choi DS, Hwang IC. 2010. Characteristics and toxicity of Chrysanthemum sp. line by extract part and methods against Tetranychus urticae, Nilaparvata lugens, and Aphis gossypii. J. Organ. Agricul. 18(4):573-586.
- Kim JB. 2005. Pathogen, insect and weed control effects of secondary metabolites from plants. J. Korean Soc. Appl. Biol. Chem.. 48:1-15.
- Kim SK, Jin JH, Lim CK, Hur JH, Cho SY. 2009. Evaluation of insecticidal efficacy of plant extracts against major insect pests. J. Pesticide Science 13(3):165-170.
- Kim YJ, Park HM, Cho JR, Ahn YJ. 2006. Multiple resistance and biochemical mechanisms of pyridaben resistance in Tetranychus urticae (Acari: Tetranychidae). J. Econ. Entomol. 99:954-958. https://doi.org/10.1093/jee/99.3.954
- Kim YK, Lee JJ, Choi MY. 2008. Insecticidal activities and repellent effects of plant extracts against the brown planthopper (Nilaparvata lugens Stal). J. Appl. Entomol 47(1):65-74. https://doi.org/10.5656/KSAE.2008.47.1.065
- Koshihara T. 1988. Chemical control of the diamondback moth in Japan. Jap. Pesti. Information. 53:14-17.
- Kwak SK, Choi SM, Park YC. 2005. Effect of Farfarae flos extract drug on immune cells and cytokines in BALF of OVA-induced asthmatic mice. Korean J. Oriental Physiol. Pathol. 19(3):716-721.
- Kwon HR, Kim SH, Park MW, Jo SH, Shin HS, Cho HS, Seo MJ, Yu YM, Youn YN. 2011. Environmentally-friendly control of Riptortus pedestris (Hemiptera: Alydidae) by environmental friendly agricultural materials. CNU J. Agricul. Sci. 38(3):413-419.
- Kyoung SH, Yun YH. 1999. Insecticidal activity of native plant extracts against Culex pipiens pallens and Musca domestica. J. Pesticide Sci. 3(1):46-50.
- Lee ES, Yang SY, Park YC, Oh YS, Lee JW, Lee YK. 2011. Effects of aqueous extracts from Lonicera japonica and Tussilago farfara on RAW 264.7 Macrophages. Res. Ins. Kor. Medi. Taejeon Univ. 19(1):49-54.
- Lee IH, Seol MS, Park JD. 2005. Repellent and pesticidal effect of Ginkgo biloba leaves extracts on the Tetranichus urticae, Aphis gossypii and Myzus persicae. J. Korean Soc. Appl. Biol. Chem. 48(2):150-154.
- Lee KS. 1997. Evaluation on the effects of pesticide residues to agroecosystem in Korea. Kor. J. Environ. Agri. 16:88-93.
- Lee SR. 1982. Overall assessment of organochlorine insecticide residues in Korean foods. Kor. J. Food. Sci. Technol. 14: 82-94.
- Lee SY, Ahn KS, Kim CS, Shin SC, Kim GH. 2004. Inheritance and stability of etoxazol resistance in twospotted spider mite, Tetranychus urticae, and its cross resistance. Kor. J. Appl. Entomol. 3:43-48.
- Lee YS, Song MH, Ahn KS, Lee KY, Kim JW, Kim GH. 2003. Monitoring of acaricide resistance in two spotted spider mite (Tertranychus urticae) populations from rose green houses in Korea. J. Asia Pacific Entomol. 6:91-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1226-8615(08)60173-9
- Matsubara H. 1972. On the influence of organic solvent upon the lethal toxicity and knockdown speed of p.p-DDT emulsion against larvae of the common house mosquito, Culex pipiens pallens. Botsu-Kagaku 37:129-135.
- Menn JJ, Hall FR. 1999. Biopesticides: present status and future prospects, pp. 1-10. In eds. by Hall, F.R. and J.J. Menn. Biopesticides use and delivery. Human Press. Totowa.
- Muthukrishanan J, Puspalatha E. Kasthuribhai A. 1997. Biological effects of four plant extracts on Culex quinquefasciatus Say larval stages. Int'l J. Trop. Insect Sci. 17(3-4):389-394. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1742758400019238
- Park EM, Kim YK, Hwang JT, Moon JM, Hwang TH, Lee JJ. 2010. Insecticidal activities of Prunus mume extract against rice leaf folder (Cnaphalocrocis medinalis Guenee). Kor. J. Pest. Sci. 14(4):394-400.
- Park IK, Lee SG, Shin SC, Park JD, Ahn YJ. 2002. Larvicidal activity of isobutylamides identified in Piper nigrum fruits against three mosquito species. J. Agric. Food Chem. 50(7): 1866-1870. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf011457a
- Park JH, Ryu KY, Jee HJ, Lee BM, Gho HG. 2008. Evaluation of insecticidal activity of plant extracts against three insect pests. J. Appl. Entomol 47(1):59-64. https://doi.org/10.5656/KSAE.2008.47.1.059
- Park MR, Kim HY, Choi KJ, Lee SW, Jang KS, Kim JS, Hong KS, Park NJ, Jo KY, Kim JC. 2004. Biological activity of shizukanols isolated from Chloranthus japonicus roots. Kor. J. Pesticide Sci. 8(4):338-346.
- Petersen LR, Marfin AA. 2002. West nile virus: A primer for the clinician. Ann. Internal. Med. 137(3):173-179. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-137-3-200208060-00009
- Pitinidhipat N, Yasurin P. 2010. Antibacterial activity of Chrysanthemum indicum, Centella asiatica and Andrographis paniculata against Bacillus cereus and Listeria monocytogenes under osmotic stress. AU J. T. 15(4):239-245.
- Sawacki RM. 1979. Resistance of insects to insecticides. Span. 22:51-55.
- Saxena RC. 1989. Insecticides from neem. In: Insecticides of plant origin, eds. by Arnason JT, Philogene BJ, Morand P. ACS Symposium series No. 387. American Chem. Soc. Washington DC. pp. 110-135.
- Schmutterer H. 1980. Natural pesticides from the neem tree. Proc. 1st Int. Neem Conference. pp. 33-59.
- Seo MJ, Park MW, Yoon KS, Jo SH, Jo CW, Shin HS, Kwon HR, Kang MA, Kim SH, Yu YM, Youn YN. 2011a. Seasonal occurrence of major moth pests and their environmental friendly control in pear orchard. CNU J. Agricul. Sci. 38(1): 39-44.
- Seo MJ, Shin HS, Gawk CS, Jo SH, Cho HS, Shin JS, Cho DH, Youn YN, Yu YM. 2011b. Environmental-Friendly control of the ginseng stem fungus gnat (Phytosciara procera, Diptera) in the ginseng field. Korean J. Pesticide Sci. 15(4): 471-478.
- Sun L, Dong H, Guo C, Qian J, Sun J, Ma L, Zhu C. 2006. Larvicidal activity of extracts of Ginkgo biloba exocarp for thrL, different strains of Culex pipiens pallens. J. Med. Entomol 43(2):258-261. https://doi.org/10.1093/jmedent/43.2.258
- Takafuji A, Ozawa A, Nemoto H, Gotoh T. 2000. Spider mites of Japan: Their biology and control. Exp. Appl. Acarol. 24: 319-335. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1006453209154
- Venkatachalam MR. Jebanesan A. 2001. Repellent activity of Ferronia elephantum Corr. (Rutaceae) leaf extract against Aedes aegypti (L.). Biores. Technol. 76:287-288. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0960-8524(00)00096-1
- World Health Organization (WHO). 1970. Instructions for determining the susceptibility or resistance of mosquito larvae to insecticides. WHO/VBC/81. 807.
- Yiem MS. 1993. Distribution characteristics and the effects of precipitation and wind velocity on field population density of Tetranychus urticae Koch on apple trees. RDA. J. Agri. Sci. 35(1):403-408.
- Yu JS, Seo DK, Kim EH, Han JB, Ahn KS, Kim GH. 2005. Inheritance and cross resistance of bifenazate resistance in two spotted spider mite, Tetranychus urticae. Kor. J. Appl. Entomol. 44:151-156.