- Volume 27 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Impact of Echinococcosis on Quality of Sheep Meat in the South Eastern Kazakhstan
- Valieva, Z. (Kazakh National Agrarian University, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine) ;
- Sarsembaeva, N. (Kazakh National Agrarian University, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine) ;
- Valdovska, A. (Latvia University of Agriculture, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine) ;
- Ussenbayev, A.E. (Kazakh National Agrarian University, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine)
- Received : 2013.07.02
- Accepted : 2013.09.29
- Published : 2014.03.01
A survey of 2,123 slaughtered adult sheep in markets of the south-east Kazakhstan established that the average contamination of animals by Echinococcus granulosus is 9.1% with primary localization of cysts in livers and lungs. The histologic structure of the muscle tissue of infected sheep displayed destructive changes with a prevalence of granular dystrophy. The amount of protein, fat, calcium and energetical value of such meat considerably decreased. Besides in the muscle tissue of the animals infected with echinococcosis there was a substantial increase of humidity and amount of ash as well as qualitative and quantitative changes of the amino acids profile. Along with damage to the synthesis of proteins and sharp insufficiency of vitamins A, E,
- Ansari-Lari, M. 2005. A retrospective survey of hydatidosis in livestock in Shiraz, Iran, based on abattoir data during 1999-2004. Vet. Parasitol. 133:119-123. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vetpar.2005.05.031
- AOAC. 1990. Official methods of analysis. 15th ed. Association of official analytical chemists, inc. Arlington, USA.
- Brzostowski, H., J. Tywonczuk, and Z. Tanski. 2004. Indexes of nutritive value of meat obtained from Pomeranian lambs and crossbreeds of Pomeranian ewes with meet breed rams. Arch. Tierz. 47:175-182.
- Budke, C. M., P. Deplazes, and P. R. Torgerson. 2006. Global socioeconomic impact of cystic echinococcosis. Emerg. Infect. Dis. 12:296-303. https://doi.org/10.3201/eid1202.050499
- Borji, H., M. Azizzadeh, and M. A. Kamelli. 2012. Retrospective study of abattoir condemnation due to parasitic infections: economic importance in Ahwaz, southwestern Iran. J. Parasitol. 98:954-957. https://doi.org/10.1645/GE-2988.1
- Ernest, E., H. E. Nonga, A. A. Kassuku, and R. R. Kazwala. 2009. Hydatidosis of slaughtered animals in Ngorongoro district of Arusha region, Tanzania. Trop. Anim. Health Prod. 41:1179-1185. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-008-9298-z
- Bergstrom, R. C., J. L. Kinnison, and B. A. Werner. 1977. Parasitism (Trichostrongylus colubriformis and Eimeria ninakohlyakimovae) in sheep: relationship between wool fiber diameter changes and feed conversion efficiency. Am. J. Vet. Res. 38:887-888.
- Blochina, S. V. 2009. Epizootology of cystic echinococcosis in Omsk region. Ph.D. Thesis, Tyumen, 142 p. - In Russian.
- Carson, F. L. 1997. Histotechnology: a self-instructional text. Chicago, American Society for Clinical pathology, 6:93.
- Folch, J., M. Lees, and G. H. Sloane Stanley. 1957. Isolation and purification of a simple method for the total lipides from animal tissues. J. Biol. Chem. 226:497-509.
- Getaw, A., D. Beyene, D. Ayana, B. Megersa, and F. Abunna. 2010. Hydatidosis: prevalence and its economic importance in ruminants slaughtered at Adama municipal abattoir, Central Oromia, Ethiopia. Acta Trop. 113:221-225. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actatropica.2009.10.019
- ISO 5509. 1978. Animal and vegetable fats and oils - Preparation of methyl esters of fatty acids.
- Knecht, D., A. Jankowska, and G. Zalesny. 2012. The impact of gastrointestinal parasites infection on slaughter efficiency in pigs. Vet Parasitol. 184:291-297. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vetpar.2011.09.006
- Latif, A. A., A. Tanveer, M. Azhar, N. Siddiqi, M. Kyaw-Tanner, and R. J. Traub. 2010. Morphological and molecular characterization of Echinococcus granulosus in livestock and humans in Punjab, Pakistan. Vet. Parasitol. 170:44-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vetpar.2010.02.003
- Lewis, J., G. Milligan, and A. Hurt. 1995. NUTTAB 95 - Nutrient data table for use in Australia. Food Standarts Australia New Zealand. Commonwealth of Australia. Vol. 1.
- Porfido, J. L., G. Alvite, V. Silva, M. W. Kennedy, A. Esteves, and B. Corsico. 2012. Direct interaction between EgFABP1, a fatty acid binding protein from Echinococcus granulosus, and phospholipid membranes. PLoS Negl Trop. Dis. 6(11):e1893. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pntd.0001893
- Romig, T., A. Dinkel, and U. Mackenstedt. 2006. The present situation of echinococcosis in Europe. Parasitol. Int. 55:S187-191. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.parint.2006.04.001
- Shaikenov, B. S., P. R. Torgerson, A. E. Usenbayev, K. K. Baitursynov, A. T. Rysmukhambetova, A. M. Abdybekova, and K. O. Karamendin. 2003. The changing epidemiology of echinococcosis in Kazakhstan due to transformation of farming practices. Acta Trop. 85:287-293. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0001-706X(02)00236-X
- Torgerson P., B. Shaikenov, and O. Kuttybaev. 2002. Cystic echinococcosis in Central Asia: new epidemic in Kazakhstan and Kyrgystan. In: Cestode zoononoses: echinococcosis and cysticercosis, and emergent and global problem (Ed. P. Craig and Z. Pawlowski). IOS Press, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 99-105.
- Torgerson, P. R. 2003. Economic effects of echinococcosis. Acta Trop. 85:113-118. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0001-706X(02)00228-0
- Torgerson, P. R., P. R. Karaeva, N. Corkeri, T. A. Abdyjaparov, and O. T. Kuttubaev. 2003. Human cystic echinococcosis in Kyrgystan: an epidemiological study. Acta Trop. 85:51-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0001-706X(02)00257-7
- Torgerson, P. R., B. Oguljahan, A. E. Muminov, R. R. Karaeva, O. T. Kuttubaev, M. Aminjanov, and B. Shaikenov. 2006. Present situation of cystic echinococcosis in Central Asia. Parasitol. Int. 55:S207-S212. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.parint.2005.11.032
- Theodoropoulos, G., E. Theodoropoulou, G. Petrakos, V. Kantzoura, and J. Kostopoulos. 2002. Abattoir condemnation due to parasitic infections and its economic implications in the region of Trikala, Greece. J. Vet. Med. B Infect. Dis. Vet. Public Health 49:281-284. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1439-0450.2002.00563.x
- Yampolskiy, B. V. 1981. Sanitary assessment and quality of carcasses and organs of cattle with echinococcosis. Ph.D. Thesis. Odessa, p. 181. In Russian.
- Williams, P. G. 2007. Nutritional composition of red meat. Nutr. Diet. 64:S113-S119. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1747-0080.2007.00197.x
- Molecular characterization of Echinococcus granulosus in a hyperendemic European focus, the Republic of Moldova vol.113, pp.12, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00436-014-4112-5