- Volume 28 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Numerical Analysis of Unsteady Heat Transfer for the Location Selection of Anti-freeze for the Fire Protection Piping with Electrical Heat Trace
소방 배관 동파방지용 열선의 위치 선정을 위한 비정상 열전달 수치해석
- Choi, Myoung-Young (Fire Insurers Laboratories of Korea) ;
- Lee, Dong-Wook (Dept. of Mechanical & Automotive Engineering, Seoul National Univ. of Science & Technology) ;
- Choi, Hyoung-Gwon (Dept. of Mechanical & Automotive Engineering, Seoul National Univ. of Science & Technology)
- Received : 2014.01.08
- Accepted : 2014.02.24
- Published : 2014.02.28
In this paper, the unsteady incompressible Navier-Stokes equations coupled with energy equation were solved to find out the optimal location of electrical heat trace for anti-freeze of water inside the pipe for fire protection. Since the conduction equation of pipe was coupled with the natural convection of water, the analysis of conjugate heat transfer was conducted. A commercial code (ANSYS-FLUENT) based on SIMPLE-type algorithm was used for investigating the unsteady flows and temperature distributions in water region. From the numerical experiments, the isotherms and the vector fields in water region were obtained. Furthermore, it was found that the lowest part of the pipe cross-section was an optimal position of electrical heat trace assuming the constant thermal expansion coefficient of water since the minimum temperature of the water with the position is higher than those with the other positions.
Heat tracing;anti-freeze;CFD;Natural convection;Conjugate heat transfer
Supported by : 서울과학기술대학교
- M. Y. Ha, I. K. Kim, H. S. Yoon, K. S. Yoon, J. R. Lee, S. Balachandar and H. H. Chum, "Two-Dimensional and Unsteady Natural Convection in a Horizontal Enclosure with a Square Body", Numerical Heat Transfer, Vol. 41, pp. 183-210 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1080/104077802317221393
- A. Kumar De and A. Dalal, "A Numerical Study of Natural Convection Around a Square, Horizontal, Heated Cylinder Placed in a Enclosure", Int. J. Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 49, Issues 23-24, pp. 4608-4623 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2006.04.020
- M. Y. Ha, I. K. Kim, H. S. Yoon and S. S. Lee, "Unsteady Fluid Flow and Temperature Fields in a Horizontal Enclosure with an Adiabatic Body", Physics of Fluids, Vol. 14, No. 9, pp. 3189-3202 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1497168
- R. Kumar, "Study of Natural Convection in Horizontal Annuli", International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 31, No. 6, pp. 1137-1148 (1988). https://doi.org/10.1016/0017-9310(88)90056-7
- T. H. Kuehn and R. J. Goldstein, "Numerical Solution to the Navier-Stokes Equations for Laminar Natural Convection about a Horizontal Isothermal Circular Cylinder", International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 23, No. 7, pp. 971-979 (1980). https://doi.org/10.1016/0017-9310(80)90071-X
- ANSYS Co., ANSYS Fluent User's Guide 13.2.4 (2012).
- I. S. Jeong and W. Y. Song, "An Analysis of Unsteady 2-D Heat Transfer of the Thermal Stratification Flow inside Horizontal Pipe with Electrical Heat Tracing", Journal of Korea Society for Energy Engineering, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 119-128 (1997).
- ISO 65, Carbon steel tubes suitable for screwing in accordance with ISO 7-1.
- KS D 3507, Carbon steel pipes for ordinary piping (2008).
- ANSI/IEEE Std. 844, Recommended Practice for Electrical Impedance, Induction, and Skin Effect Heating of Pipelines and Vessels (2000).
- KS L 9016, Test methods for thermal transmission properties of thermal insulations (2012).
- R. R. Gilpin, Trans. ASME, Ser. C, Vol. 103, p. 363 (1981). https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3244467
- ANSI/IEEE Std. 515, Standard for the Testing, Design, Installation and Maintenance of Electrical Resistance Heat Tracing for Industrial Applications (2005).
- ANSI/NECA 202, Recommended Practice for Installing and Maintaining Industrial Heat Tracing Systems (2001).
- NFPA 70, National Electrical Code 427.1 (2008).