- Volume 35 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Conjugation of Landsat Data for Analysis of the Land Surface Properties in Capital Area
수도권 지표특성 분석을 위한 Landsat 자료의 활용
- Jee, Joon-Bum (Weather Information Service Engine, Center for Atmospheric and Earthquake Research) ;
- Choi, Young-Jean (Weather Information Service Engine, Center for Atmospheric and Earthquake Research)
- Received : 2013.12.07
- Accepted : 2014.02.12
- Published : 2014.02.28
In order to analyze the land surface properties in Seoul and its surrounding metropolitan area, several indices and land surface temperature were calculated by the Landsat satellites (e.g., Landsat 5, Landsat 7, and Landsat 8). The Landsat data came from only in the fall season with Landsat 5 on October 21, 1985, Landsat 7 on September 29, 2003, and Landsat 8 on September 16, 2013. The land surface properties used are the indices that represented Soil Adjusted Vegetation Index (SAVI), Modified Normalized Difference Wetness Index (MNDWI), Normalized Difference Wetness Index (NDWI), Tasseled cap Brightness, Tasseled cap Greenness, Tasseled cap Wetness Index, Normalized Difference Vegetation Index (NDVI) and Normalized Difference Built-up Index (NDBI) and the land surface temperature of the area in and around Seoul. Most indices distinguish very well between urban, rural, mountain, building, river and road. In particular, most of the urbanization is represented in the new city (e.g., Ilsan) around Seoul. According to NDVI, NDBI and land surface temperature, urban expansion is displayed in the surrounding area of Seoul. The land surface temperature and surface elevation have a strong relationship with the distribution and structure of the vegetation/built-up indices such as NDVI and NDBI. While the NDVI is positively correlated with the land surface temperature and is also negatively correlated with the surface elevation, the NDBI have just the opposite correlations, respectively. The NDVI and NDBI index is closely associated with the characteristics of the metropolitan area. Landsat 8 and Landsat 5 have very strong correlations (more than -0.6) but Landsat 7 has a weak one (lower than -0.5).
Supported by : 기상청
- Chander, G., Markham, L., and Helder, D.L., 2009, Summary of current radiometric calibration coefficients for Landsat MSS, TM, ETM+, and EO-1 ALI sensors. Remote Sensing of Environment, 113, 893-903. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2009.01.007
- Choi, S.P. and Yang, I.T., 1998, Extraction of land surface change information by using Landsat TM images. Journal of the Korean Society of Surveying, Geodesy, Photogrammetry, and Cartography, 21, 261-267. (in Korean)
- He, J.F., Liu, J.Y., Zhuang, D.F., Zhang, W., and Liu, M.L., 2007, Assessing the effect of land use/land cover change on the change of urban heat island intensity. Theoretical and Applied Climatology, 90, 217-226. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00704-006-0273-1
- Huang, C., Wylie, B., Yang, L., Homer, C., and Zylstra, G., 2002, Derivation of a tasseled cap transformation based on Landsat 7 at-satellite reflectance. International Journal of Remote Sensing, 23, 1741-1748. https://doi.org/10.1080/01431160110106113
- Huete, A.R., 1988, A soil-adjusted vegetation index (SAVI). Remote Sensing of Environment, 25, 295-309. https://doi.org/10.1016/0034-4257(88)90106-X
- Jeong, J.C., 2009, Comparison of land surface temperatures derived from surface emissivity with urban heat island effect. Journal of Environmental Impact Assessment, 18, 219-277. (in Korean)
- Jo, M.H., Lee, K.J., and Kim, W.S., 2001, A study on the spatial distribution characteristic of urban surface temperature using remotely sensed data and GIS. Journal of the Korean Association of Geographic Information Studies, 4, 57-66. (in Korean)
- Kang, J.M., Ka M.S., Lee, S.S., and Park, J.K., 2010, Detection of heat change in urban center using Landsat imagery. Journal of the Korean Society of Surveying, Geodesy, Photogrammetry, and Cartography, 28, 197- 206. (in Korean)
- Karnieli, A., 2010, Use of NDVI and land surface temperature for drought assessment: Merits and limitations. Journal of Climate, 210, 618-633.
- Kim, H.D., Im, J.W., and Lee, S.H., 2006, Distribution of relative evapotranspiration availability using Satellite data in Daegu metropolitan. Journal of Korean Earth Science Society, 27, 667-686. (in Korean)
- Kim, J.I. and Kwon, J.H., 2005, Identifying urban spatial structure through GIS and Remote Sensing data: The case of Daegu metropolitan area-. The Korean Association of Geographic Information Studies, 8, 21-30. (in Korean)
- Kim, T.G., Kim, K.E., Jo K.S., and Kim, K.H., 1996, Monitoring of lake water quality using LANDSAT TM imagery data. Journal of the Korean Society for Geo-Spatial Information System, 4, 23-33. (in Korean)
- Landsberg, H.E., 1981, The urban climate. Academic press, New York, USA, 275 p.
- Lee, H.R. and Kim, H.M., 2005, A correlation analysis between land surface temperature and NDVI in Kunsan city using Landsat 7 TM/ETM+ satellite images. Journal of the Korean Association of Geographic Information Studies, 8, 31-43. (in Korean)
- Lee, J.Y., Ynag D.Y., Kim, J.Y., and Chung, G.S., 2004a, Application of Landsat ETM image indices to classify the wildfire area of Gangneung, Gangweon province, Korea. Journal of Korean Earth Science Society, 25, 754-763. (in Korean)
- Lee, J.Y., Yang, D.Y., Kim, J.Y., and Chung, G.S., 2004b, Application of Landsat ETM image to estimate the distribution of soil types and erosional pattern in the wildfire area of Gangneung, Gangweon province, Korea. Journal of Korean Earth Science Society, 25, 764-773. (in Korean)
- Lee, K.K. and Hong, W.H., 2008, A study on the urban heat environment pattern analysis and alleviation plan. Journal of Architectural Institute of Korea, 24, 253-260. (in Korean)
- Mallick, J., Kant, Y., and Bharath, B.D., 2008, Estimation of land surface temperature over Delhi using Landsat-7 ETM+. Journal Indian Geophysical Union, 12, 131-140.
- Na, S.I., Park, J.H., and Shin, H.S., 2008, Change detection of NDVI, surface temperature and VTCI in Saemangeum area using Satellite imagery. Korean National Committee on Irrigation and Drainage Journal, 15, 28-38.
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), 2004, Landsat 7 science data users handbook. http://landsathandbook.gsfc.nasa.gov/pdfs/Landsat7_Handbook.pdf (February 15th 2014)
- Park, M.H., 2001, A Study on the urban heat island phenomenon using LANDSAT TM thermal infrared data: In the case of Seoul. Korean Society Civil Engineering, 21, 861-874. (in Korean)
- Prihodko, L. and Goward, S.N., 1997, Estimation of air temperature from remotely sensed surface observations. Remote Sensing of Environment, 60, 335-346. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0034-4257(96)00216-7
- Steve, K.J., Wong, N.H., Emlyn, H., Roni, A., and Hong, Y., 2007, The influence of land use on the urban heat island in Singapore. Habitat International, 31, 232-242. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.habitatint.2007.02.006
- Suga, Y., Ogawa, H., Ohno, K., and Yamada, K., 2003, Detection of surface temperature from Landsat-7/ETM+. Advances in Space Research, 32, 2235-2240. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0273-1177(03)90548-5
- Teillet, P.M., Barker, J.L., Markham, B.L., Irish, R.R., Fedosejevs, G., and Storey, J.C., 2001, Radiometric cross-calibration of the Landsat-7 ETM+ and Landsat-5 TM sensors based on tandem data sets. Remote Sensing of Environment, 78, 39-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0034-4257(01)00248-6
- World Meteorological Organization (WMO), 2007, RGB composite satellite imagery workshop. Final Report, Boulder, CO, 5-7 p.
- Yoo, B.M., 1999, Introduction to geospatial information. DongMyung, Seoul, Korea, 511 p. (in Korean)
- Yoon, M.H. and Ahn, D.M., 2009, An application of satellite image analysis to visualize the effects of urban green areas on temperature. Journal of the Korean Institute of Landscape Architecture. 37, 46-53. (in Korean)
- Sensitivity Test of the Numerical Simulation with High Resolution Topography and Landuse over Seoul Metropolitan and Surrounding Areas vol.25, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.14191/Atmos.2015.25.2.309
- Error Analysis of Three Types of Satellite-observed Surface Skin Temperatures in the Sea Ice Region of the Northern Hemisphere vol.36, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5467/JKESS.2015.36.2.139
- Surface Micro-Climate Analysis Based on Urban Morphological Characteristics: Temperature Deviation Estimation and Evaluation vol.26, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14191/Atmos.2016.26.3.445
- Comparison of Surface Temperatures between Thermal Infrared Image and Landsat 8 Satellite vol.32, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5572/KOSAE.2016.32.1.046
- Retrieval of Land SurfaceTemperature based on High Resolution Landsat 8 Satellite Data vol.32, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7780/kjrs.2016.32.2.9
- Preliminary Study for Tidal Flat Detection in Yeongjong-do according to Tide Level using Landsat Images vol.32, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7780/kjrs.2016.32.6.8
- Sensitivity Study on High-Resolution Numerical Modeling of Static Topographic Data vol.7, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3390/atmos7070086