- Volume 20 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Historical Trends of Doctoral Nursing Education in Korea
한국 간호학박사교육의 역사적 흐름
- Oh, Kasil (School of Nursing, Ulaanbaatar University) ;
- Park, Young Sook (College of Nursing, Seoul National University) ;
- Lee, Ja Hyung (Division of Nursing, Ewha Womans University) ;
- Oh, Kyong-Ok (Department of Nursing, Chungnam National University) ;
- Ahn, Yang Heui (Department of Nursing, Wonju College of Medicine, Yonsei University) ;
- Lim, Jiyoung (College of Nursing, CHA University)
- 오가실 (몽골 울란바타르대학교 간호대학) ;
- 박영숙 (서울대학교 간호대학) ;
- 이자형 (이화여자대학교 간호과학부) ;
- 오경옥 (충남대학교 간호대학) ;
- 안양희 (연세대학교 원주의과대학 간호학과) ;
- 임지영 (차의과학대학교 간호대학)
- Received : 2013.11.01
- Accepted : 2014.01.28
- Published : 2014.02.28
Purpose: The aim of this study was to identify historical backdrop leading to the introduction of the doctorate degree of nursing in Korea, and to explore trends of doctoral nursing education program. Methods: The research design was a descriptive study adopting a historical approach. Documentation data were collected through web sites and mail survey. The semi-structured interviews were conducted with 6 professors who were involved in the introduction of the doctorate degree of nursing. The outcomes of doctoral nursing education program were evaluated with a total of 1,153 dissertations' titles published from 1982 to 2007. Results: First introduced in Korea in 1978, doctoral nursing education program had steadily increased totaling 21 doctoral program in 2007. This resulted in a rapid increase in the number of doctoral students, but the number of faculty and the quality were not as satisfactory as expected. Many doctoral program had the missions or goals that fostered nursing scholars, theorists, and researchers, a trend that seems set to continue. The majority of dissertations utilized the experimental design (39.9%), others were qualitative design (21.6%), and survey design (19.0%). Conclusion: Doctoral education that is the hallmark of nursing scholarship is further elaborated in terms of academic tradition of nursing school in Korea.
History of nursing;Social change;Education;Graduate
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing. (2010). New AACN Data Show Growth in Doctoral Nursing Programs. Washington, DC: Author.
- Anderson, C. A. (2000). Current strengths and limitations of doctoral education in nursing: Are we prepared for the future?. Journal of Professional Nursing, 16(4), 191-200. https://doi.org/10.1053/jpnu.2000.7830
- Chang, G. P. (1993). Research Trends and Tasks of Korean Graduate Program. In Kim, I. H., Choi, G. Y., Lee H. S., Kim, Y. B., Jeong, H. Y. Lee, K. H., et al.(Ed.) Reillumination of Educational History and Culture of Korean (pp. 243-257). Seoul: Hakjisa Publishing Co.
- Kim, E. S., Kim, G. S., Kim, D. R., Kim, E. J., Sung, K. M., Shin, H. K., et al. (2004). Trends of nursing science inquiry in doctoral dissertations. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 34(2), 315-323. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2004.34.2.315
- Choe, M. A., Hong, K. J., Han, K. J., Park, Y. S., Park, S. A., Hah, Y. S., et al. (2009). Trends of doctoral dissertations of one college of nursing in Korea. Journal of Korean Academy Society of Nursing Education, 15(1), 32-43. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2009.15.1.032
- Ellis, L. B., & Lee N. (2005). The changing landscape of doctoral education: Introducing the professional doctorate for nurses. Nurse Education Today, 25(3), 222-229. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2005.01.009
- Ketefian, S., Davidson, P., Daly, J., Chang, E., & Srisuphan, W. (2005). Issues and challenges in international doctoral education in nursing. Nursing and Health Sciences, 7(3), 150-156. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-2018.2005.00240.x
- Kim, M. J. (2000). Future for Nursing Discipline: Global Perspective. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 30, 1099-1110. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2000.30.5.1099
- Kim, M. J., Lee, H., Kim, H. K., Ahn, Y. H., Kim, E., Yun, S. N., et al. (2010). Quality of faculty, students, curriculum and resources for nursing doctoral education in Korea: a focus group study. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 47(3), 295-306. doi: 10.1016/j.ijnurstu. 2009.07.005 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2009.07.005
- Kim, M. J., McKenna, H. P., & Ketefian, S. (2006). Global quality criteria, standards, and indicators for doctoral programs in nursing; literature review and guideline development. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 43(4), 477-489. doi:10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2005.07.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2005.07.003
- Lee, C. Y., Cho, Y. H., Ko, J. S., & Kim, J. A. (2011). Foreign nurse missionaries starting Yonsei nursing school. Journal of Korean Academy Society of Nursing Education, 17(1), 44-51. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.1.044
- Kim, M. J., Park, C. G., Kim, M., Lee, H., Ahn, Y. H., Kim, E., et al. (2012). Quality of nursing doctoral education in Korea: towards policy development. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 68(7), 1494-1503. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2648.2011.05885.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2011.05885.x
- Kim, M. S., Kang, Y. S., Kang, Y. H., Moon, H. J., Park, S. A., Byeon, C. J., et al. (2011). History of Nursing. Seoul: Korean Nurses Association.
- Kjellgren, K. I., Welin, C., & Danielson E. (2005). Evaluation of doctoral nursing programs - A review and a strategy for follow up. Nurse Education Today, 25(4), 316-325. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2005.02.002
- Lee, J. H. (1986). A Study on nursing education in the enlightenment time of Korea. The Korean Nurse, 25(5), 40-51.
- Lee, K. J., Kang, Y. H., Gu, M. O., Kim, K. H., Kim, O. S., Suh, Y. O., et al. (2012). Analysis of trends and contents of nursing doctoral dissertations in Korea. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 42(2), 302-309. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2012.42.2.302
- Lee, K. J., Nam, J. J., Bae, K. J., Lee, E. J., Lim, H. J. Jeon, H. S., et al. (1991). Trends and problems of korean nursing education program according to changes of the times. The Korean Nurse, 30(5), 83.
- Lee, S. W. (2000). History of korean nursing education (1900-2000). Journal of Korean Academy Society of Nursing Education, 6(2), 303-326.
- Park, E. S., Yang, S. O., Kim, S. S., Yang, S., Park, Y. J., Ha, N. S., et al. (2002). Analysis of the nursing curricula in graduate programs in Korea. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 32, 100-113. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2002.32.1.100
- Lee, Y. J. (2000). Introduction and Settlement of Korean Modern Nursing. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul. Retrieved from http://www.riss.kr/link?id=T7840442
- McEwen, M., & Bechtel G. A. (2000). Characteristics of nursing doctoral programs in the United States. Journal of Professional Nursing, 16(5), 282-292. https://doi.org/10.1053/jpnu.2000.9458
- Meehan, T. C. (2003). Careful nursing : A model for contemporary nursing practice. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 44(1), 99-107. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2003.02772.x
- Park, J. S., & Yang, J. S. (1994). A study on the analysis of the present situation and curriculum of graduate programs in nursing education. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, 6(1), 251-275.
- Polit, D. F., & Beck, C. T. (2004). Nursing Research : Principles and Methods(7th ed.). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. Philadelphia PA.
- Robb, W. J. W. (2005). PhD, DNSc, ND : The ABCs of nursing doctoral degrees. Dimensions of Critical Care Nursing, 24(2), 89-95. https://doi.org/10.1097/00003465-200503000-00010
- Robinson, S., & Dracup, K. (2008). Innovative options for the doctoral dissertation in nursing. Nursing Outlook, 56(4), 174-178. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.outlook.2008.03.004
- Seoul National University (1986). History of Seoul National University : 40th Anniversary (1946-1986). Seoul : Seoul National University Compilation Committee.
- Shin, H. S., Sung, K. M., Jeong, S. H., & Kim, D. R. (2008). Trends of doctoral dissertations in nursing science: Focused on studies submitted since 2000. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 38(1), 74-82. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.1.74
- Suh, M. J., Hong, Y. S., Lee, E. O., Park, J. H., Lee, S. W., Hong, K. J., et al. (2001). The preliminary study for revision of graduate nursing curriculum of one college of nursing in Korea. Journal of Korean Academy Society of Nursing Education, 7(2), 285-297.
- Yoon, H. K., Kim, H. S., & Yun, H. J. (2011). Analysis of experimental research trends on doctoral dissertations in nursing. Journal of Korean Academy Society of Nursing Education, 17(3), 464-477. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.3.464