- Volume 20 Issue 1
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to review articles and theses on Korean nursing students' stress, identifying overall research trends regarding such stress and suggesting strategies for stress management and nursing education system. Methods: The subjects for this study were 31 articles selected from three databases according to specific inclusion criteria. Results: Twenty-seven articles described survey research and four articles reported on experiments. Twenty-two studies related to stress from clinical practice among nursing students. Thirty-one articles reported on 40 regions and 44 colleges. Seventeen types of tools were used to measure nursing students' stress. The reported reliability of tools ranged from .76 to .96, and the mean score for nursing students' stress fell between 1.98 and 3.95. Conclusion: The findings from this review article indicate that nursing students exhibit different levels of stress as a result of school. Thus, they must learn to cope with stress to support their physical and psychological health. Moreover, finding ways to help student nurses handle job-related stress will require research related to the overall school, the curriculum, learning, and the life of nursing students, as well as stress intervention.
Student nurse;Stress;Management;Education;Review literature as topic
- Im, M. A. (2007). The effect of life stress on the aggressiveness of University students. Unpublished master's thesis. The Myungi University of Korea, Seoul.
- Distler, J. W. (2007). Critical thinking and clinical competence: Results of the implementation of student-centered teaching strategies in an advanced practice nurse curriculum. Nurse Education in Practice, 7(1), 53-59. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2006.08.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2006.08.003
- Gibbons, C. (2010). Stress, coping and burn-out in nursing students. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 47(10), 1299-1309. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2010.02.015 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2010.02.015
- Gong, S. J., & Lee, E. H. (2006). Mediation effect of coping between life stress and depression in female College students. Korean Journal of Psychology: Women, 1(1), 21-40.
- Jimenez, C., Navia-Osorio, P. M., & Diaz, C. V. (2010). Stress and health in novice and experienced nursing students. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 66(2), 442-455. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2009.05183.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2009.05183.x
- Kim, J. I., & Lee, J. S. (2011). Effects of clinical training on stress, anxiety and changes in autonomic nervous system in nursing students. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, 13(2), 102-108.
- Lazarus, R. S., & Folkman, S. (1984). Stress, appraisal, and coping. New York, NY: Springer Publishing Company.
- Lee, E. J., & Jun, W. J. (2013). Sense of coherence stress of clinical practice in nursing student, Journal of Korean Academy Society of Nursing Education, 19(2), 163-171. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.2.163
- Lee S. J., & Yoo, J. H. (2008). The mediation effect of self-efficacy between academic and career stress and adjustment to College, Journal of Korean Education Psychology, 22(3), 589-607.
- Christensson, A., Vaez, M., Dickman, P. W., & Runeson, B. (2011). Self-reported depression in first-year nursing students in relation to socio-demographic and educational factors: A nationwide cross-sectional study in Sweden. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 46(4), 299-310. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00127-010-0198-y https://doi.org/10.1007/s00127-010-0198-y
- Li, H. C., Wang, L. S., Lin, Y. H., & Lee, I. (2011). The effect of a peer-mentoring strategy on student nurse stress reduction in clinical practice. International Nursing Review, 58(2), 203-210. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1466-7657.2010.00839.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1466-7657.2010.00839.x
- Liaschenko, J., & Peter, E. (2004). Nursing ethics and conceptualizations of nursing: Profession, practice and work. Journal of Advance Nursing, 46(5), 488-495. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2004.03011.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2004.03011.x
- Chang, E. C. (2006). Perfectionism and dimensions of psychological well-being in a college student sample: A test of a stress-mediation model. Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology, 25(9), 1001-1022. https://doi.org/10.1521/jscp.2006.25.9.1001
- Cochrance (2011, March). Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions. Retrieved September 29, 2013. from http://handbook.cochrane.org/
- Deary, I. J., Strand, S., Smith, P., & Fernandes, C. (2007). Intelligence and educational achievement. Intelligence, 35(1), 13-21. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.intell.2006.02.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intell.2006.02.001
- Lo, R. (2002). A longitudinal study of perceived level of stress, coping and self-esteem of undergraduate nursing students: An Australian case study. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 39(2), 119-126. http://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2000.02251.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2000.02251.x
- Melincavage, S. M. (2011). Student nurses' experiences of anxiety in the clinical setting. Nurse Education Today, 31(8), 785-789. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2011.05.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2011.05.007
- Reeve, K. L., Shumaker, C. J., Yearwood, E. L., Crowell, N. A., & Riley, J. B. (2012). Perceived stress and social support in undergraduate nursing students' educational experiences. Nurse Education Today, 33(4), 419-424. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2012.11.009
- Moscaritolo, L. M. (2009). Interventional strategies to decrease nursing student anxiety in the clinical learning environment. The Journal of Nursing Education, 48(1), 17. http://dx.doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20090101-08 https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20090101-08
- Oh, J. (2010). The effect of family relations on the reduction stress of College students: Moderating effect of empowerment. The Journal of Pubic Welfare Administration, 20(1), 127-149.
- Park, M. Y. (2004). The perceived causal structure model on stress experienced by nursing students during clinical practice. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Education, 10(1), 54-63.
- Ross, R., Zeller, R., Srisaeng, P., Yimmee, S., Somchid, S., & Sawatphanit, W. (2005). Depression, stress, emotional support, and self-esteem among baccalaureate nursing students in Thailand. International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship, 2. http://dx.doi.org/10.2202/1548-923X.1165
- Sharif, F., & Masoumi, S. (2005). A qualitative study of nursing student experiences of clinical practice. BMC nursing, 4, 1-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1472-6955-4-6 https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6955-4-1
- Suh, K. H., Chung, S. J., & Koo, J. H. (2005). Spiritual well-being, life stress, depression, and self-esteem among College students. Korean Journal of Psychology: Consultation and Psychology Treatment, 17, 1077-1095.
- Timmins, F., & Kaliszer, M. (2002). Aspects of nurse education programmes that frequently cause stress to nursing students-fact-finding sample survey. Nurse Education Today, 22(3), 203-211. http://dx.doi.org/10.1054/nedt.2001.0698 https://doi.org/10.1054/nedt.2001.0698
- Tully, A. (2004). Stress, sources of stress and ways of coping among psychiatric nursing students. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 11(1), 43-47. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2850.2004.00682.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2850.2004.00682.x
- Watson, R., Gardiner, E., Hogston, R., Gibson, H., Stimpson, A., Wrate, R., et al. (2009). A longitudinal study of stress and psychological distress in nurses and nursing students. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 18(2), 270-278. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2008.02555.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2008.02555.x
- Zupiria Gorostidi, X., Huitzi Egilegor, X., Jose Alberdi Erice, M., Jose Uranga Iturriotz, M., Eizmendi Garate, I., Barandiaran Lasa, M., et al. (2007). Stress sources in nursing practice. Evolution during nursing training. Nurse Education Today, 27(7), 777-787. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2006.10.017 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2006.10.017
- Drinking Motivation, Daily Stress, and Problem Drinking Behavior of Female University Students vol.15, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.8.5053
- The Factors related to Happiness among Nursing Students vol.22, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.2.182
- Nursing Students' Self-Leadership, Self-Efficacy, Interpersonal Relation, College Life Satisfaction vol.14, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.06.229
- The Relationship of Communication Competence, Professional Self-Concept and Stress in Clinical Practice of Nursing Students vol.22, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.4.452
- Intergeneration Occupational Mobility Experience of Nurses: Focus on Mother's Experience vol.20, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.4.523
- Stress, Yangsaeng and Subjective Happiness Among Female Undergraduate Nursing Students in the Republic of Korea vol.20, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.4.471
- Factors Influencing Subjective Happiness in Nursing Students: Focused on Psycho-social Factors vol.25, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2016.25.2.123
- Effects of Personality and Coping Behavior on Clinical Practice Stress among One College Nursing Students vol.24, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.17547/kjsr.2016.24.4.296