- Volume 19 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Development of a Music Score Editor based on MusicXML
MusicXML 기반의 악보 편집기 개발
- Khan, Najeeb Ullah (School of Electrical Engineering, University of Ulsan) ;
- Lee, Jung-Chul (School of Electrical Engineering, University of Ulsan)
- Received : 2013.12.24
- Accepted : 2014.02.12
- Published : 2014.02.28
In the past composers used to make music with classical instruments such as piano, violin, guitar, flute, drums, and other well-known tools. With the advent of digital technology many software programs were developed which allow musicians to compose tunes using personal computers. Many file formats were introduced such as NIFF, SMDL and MIDI but none besides MIDI has been successful. Recently MusicXML has emerged as a de-facto standard for the computer representation of music. This paper presents a brief description of the structure of the MusicXML format and describes the development of a music score editor based on MusicXML. We implemented a MusicXML-based score editing software using C# language and a feasibility test showed the efficiency of our proposed method.
MusicXML;Score Editor;Music Notation
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- P. Bellini and P. Nesi, "WEDELMUSIC format: An XML music notation format for emerging applications." Proc. WEDELMUSIC 2001, pp. 79 - 86, Nov. 2001.
- S.Cunningham, "SuitabilityofMusicXMLas aFormat for Computer Music Notation and Interchange." Proceedings of IADIS Applied Computing 2004 International Conference, Lisbon, Portugal. pp. III-7, 2004.
- M. Good, "MusicXMLinPractice: Issues inTranslation and Analysis." Proceedings of First International Conference MAX 2002, pp. 47-54, Sep. 2002
- M. Good, "MusicXML in Commercial Applications." Music Analysis East and West: Computing in Musicology 14, edited by W. B. Hewlett and E. Selfridge-Field, MIT Press, pp. 9-20. 2006,
- M.Good, "MusicXML: An Internet-Friendly Format for Sheet Music." Proceedings of XML 2001 Conference, pp. 9-14, Dec, 2001
- M. Good, "Lessons fromthe Adoption of MusicXML as an Interchange Standard." Proceedings of XML 2006 Conference, pp. 1-13, Dec. 2006
- M. Good. "MusicXML for notation and analysis." The virtual score: representation, retrieval, restoration, edited by W. B. Hewlett and E. Selfridge-Field, MIT Press, pp. 113-124, 2001
- "MusicXML XSD Schema Reference" available at http://www.musicxml.com/
- L. Housley, T. Lynch, R, Ramnath,P.F. Rogers, J. and Ramanathan, J, "Implementation Considerations in Enabling Visually Impaired Musicians to Read Sheet Music Using a Tablet." Proceedings of IEEE COMPSAC, pp. 678 - 683, Jul. 2013.
- L.L.Housley,DynamicGeneration ofMusical Notation fromMusicXMLInput on anAndroid Tablet. Doctoral Dissertation. Ohio State University, 2012.
- Cunningham, Stuart, et al. "Web-basedMusicNotation Editing." Proceedings of IADIS- International Conference on WWW/Internet, Murcia, Spain. 2006.
- M.D. Good, "MusicXML: The First Decade." Structuring Music Through Markup Language: Designs and Architectures, MakeMusic, Inc., pp. 187-192, 2012
- "The HumdrumSyntax" available at http://www. music-cog.ohio-state.edu/Humdrum/guide05.html
- ProxyMusic https://proxymusic.kenai.com/
- "Windows Forms Overview" available at http:// msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8bxxy49h(v =vs.110).aspx
- "Introduction to WPF" available at http://msdn. microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa970268(v=vs.11 0).aspx
- "XML Schema Definition Tool (Xsd.exe)" available at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ x6c1kb0s(v=vs.110).aspx
- J. Frijters, "IKVM, an implementation of Java for Mono and the. NET Framework," Available at http://www.ikvm.net
- Yo Tomita. "Bach, Musicological Font" available at http://www.mu.qub.ac.uk/tomita/bachfont/
- "Ribbon (WPF)" available at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/
- G.J. Lim and J.C. Lee, "An Electronic Keyboard Instrument Using PC MIDI and USB Interface," Journal of The Korean Society of Computer and Information, vol.16, no.11, p85-93, Nov. 2011. https://doi.org/10.9708/jksci.2011.16.11.085
- J.Y. Kim, J.C. Lee, and H.S. Jun, "Development of PC based flute performance learning software," Journal of The Korean Society of Computer and Information, vol.18, no.2, p95-105, Feb. 2013. https://doi.org/10.9708/jksci.2013.18.2.095