- Volume 6 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Determination of natural periods of vibration using genetic programming
- Joshi, Shardul G. (Department of Civil Engineering, Vishwakarma Institute of Information Technology) ;
- Londhe, Shreenivas N. (Department of Civil Engineering, Vishwakarma Institute of Information Technology) ;
- Kwatra, Naveen (Department of Civil Engineering, Thapar University)
- Received : 2013.04.24
- Accepted : 2013.10.24
- Published : 2014.02.25
Many building codes use the empirical equation to determine fundamental period of vibration where in effect of length, width and the stiffness of the building is not explicitly accounted for. Also the equation, estimates the fundamental period of vibration with large safety margin beyond certain height of the building. An attempt is made to arrive at the simple empirical equations for fundamental period of vibration with adequate safety margin, using soft computing technique of Genetic Programming (GP). In the present study, GP models are developed in four categories, varying the number of input parameters in each category. Input parameters are chosen to represent mass, stiffness and geometry of the buildings directly or indirectly. Total numbers of 206 buildings are analyzed out of which, data set of 142 buildings is used to develop these models. It is observed that GP models developed under B and C category yield the same equation for fundamental period of vibration along X direction as well as along Y direction whereas the equation of fundamental period of vibration along X direction and along Y direction is of the same form for category D. The equations obtained as an output of GP models clearly indicate the influence of mass, geometry and stiffness of the building over fundamental period of vibration. These equations are then compared with the equation recommended by other researcher.
- Charhate, S.B. and Deo, M.C. (2006), "Evaluation of tsunami water levels using ANN", XVth APD-IAHR International Conference, 7-10 Aug. 2006, Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, Chennai.
- Ahamadi, N., Kamyab, M.R. and Lavaei, A. (2008), "Dynamic analysis of structures using neural network", Am. J. Appl. Sci., 5(9), 1251-1256. https://doi.org/10.3844/ajassp.2008.1251.1256
- Annan, C.D., Youssef, M.A. and Naggar, M.H.E.L. (2009), "Seismic vulnerability assessment of modular steel buildings", J. Earthq. Eng., 13(8), 1065-1088. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632460902933881
- Caglar, N., Elmas, M., Dere, Z.Y. and Saribiyik, M. (2008), "Neural networks in 3- dimensional dynamic analysis of reinforced concrete buildings", Constr. Build. Mater., 22, 788-800. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2007.01.029
- Gaur, S. and Deo, M.C. (2008), "Real time wave forecasting using genetic programming", Ocean Eng., 35(11-12), 1166-1172. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2008.04.007
- Gilles, D. and McClure, G. (2008), "Development of a period database for buildings in Montreal using ambient vibrations", The 14th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, October 12-17, Beijing, China.
- Goel, R.K. and Chopra, A.K. (1997), "Period formulas for moment resisting frame buildings", J. Struct. Eng., 123(11), 1454-1461. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1997)123:11(1454)
- Guven, A. (2009), "Linear genetic programming for time-series modelling of daily flow rate", J. Earth Syst. Sci. 118(2), 137-146. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12040-009-0022-9
- Heshmati, A.A.R., Salehzade, H., Alavi, A.H., Gandomi, A.H., Badkobeh, A. and Ghasemi, A (2008), "On the applicability of linear genetic programming for the formulation of soil classification", Am.-Eurasian J. Agric. Environ. Sci., 4(5), 575-583.
- Kermani, E., Jafarian, Y. and Baziar, M.H. (2009), "New predictive models for the ratio of Vmax/amax strong ground motions using genetic programming", Int. J. Civil Eng. 7(4), 236-247.
- IS 1893 Part 1 (2002), "Criteria for earthquake resistant design of structures-Part 1: General provisions and buildings (fifth revision)", Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
- Johari, A., Habibagahi, G. and Ghahramani, A. (2006), "Prediction of soil-water characteristic curve using genetic programming", J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng., 132(5), 661-665. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(2006)132:5(661)
- Koza, J.R. (1992), Genetic programming on the programming of computers by means of natural selection, A Bradford Book, MIT Press.
- Londhe, S.N. (2008), "Soft computing approach for real-time estimation of missing wave heights", Ocean Eng., 35, 1080-1089. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2008.05.003
- Londhe, S.N. and Dixit, P.R. (2012), Genetic programming: a novel computing approach in modeling water flows, Intech, chapter no. 9, 199-224.
- Mehanny, S.S.F. (2012), "Are theoretically calculated periods of vibration for skeletal structures error-free?", Earthq. Struct., 3(1), 17-35. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2012.3.1.017
- Pinho, R. and Crowley, H. (2006), "Simplified equations for estimating the period of vibration of existing buildings", First European Conference on Earthquake Engineering and Seismology, Geneva, Switzerland, Paper Number: 1122.
- Rodriguez Aguilera, D. (2001), GPKernel's e-Handbook: genetic programming with GPKernel, DHI internal rapport.
- Shaw, D., Miles, J. and Gray, A. (2004), "Genetic programming within civil engineering", Organization of the Adaptive Computing in Design and Manufacture 2004 Conference, Engineers House, Clifton, Bristol, UK, April 20-22.
- Verderame, G.M., Iervolino, I. and Manfredi, G. (2010), "Elastic period of sub-standard reinforced concrete moment resisting frame buildings", Bull Earthq. Eng., 8, 955-972. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-010-9176-8
- Assessing the Influence of Mining Impacts on Buildings using SVM and MLR Method vol.471, pp.1757-899X, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899X/471/5/052060