- Volume 6 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Strengthening of hollow brick infill walls with perforated steel plates
- Aykac, Sabahattin (Civil Engineering Department, Gazi University) ;
- Kalkan, Ilker (Department of Civil Engineering, Kirikkale University) ;
- Seydanlioglu, Mahmut (Ministry of Environment and Urban Development)
- Received : 2013.05.30
- Accepted : 2013.11.12
- Published : 2014.02.25
The infill walls, whose contribution to the earthquake resistance of a structure is generally ignored due to their limited lateral rigidities, constitute a part of the lateral load bearing system of an RC frame structure. A common method for improving the earthquake behavior of RC frame structures is increasing the contribution of the infill walls to the overall lateral rigidity by strengthening them through different techniques. The present study investigates the influence of externally bonded perforated steel plates on the load capacities, rigidities, and ductilities of hollow brick infill walls. For this purpose, a reference (unstrengthened) and twelve strengthened specimens were subjected to monotonic diagonal compression. The experiments indicated that the spacing of the bolts, connecting the plates to the wall, have a more profound effect on the behavior of a brick wall compared to the thickness of the strengthening plates. Furthermore, an increase in the plate thickness was shown to result in a considerable improvement in the behavior of the wall only if the plates are connected to the wall with closely-spaced bolts. This strengthening technique was found to increase the energy absorption capacities of the walls between 4 and 14 times the capacity of the reference wall. The strengthened walls reached ultimate loads 30-160% greater than the reference wall and all strengthened walls remained intact till the end of the test.
perforated steel plate;hollow brick infill wall;structural strengthening;earthquake behavior;reinforced concrete frame
- Amanat, K.M., Alam, M.M.M. and Alam, M.S. (2007), "Experimental investigation of the use of ferrocement laminates for repairing masonry in filled RC frames", J. Civil Eng. (IEB), 35(2), 71-80.
- Acun, B. and Sucuoglu, H. (2005), "Tugla dolgu duvarli cercevelerin hasir donati ile guclendirilmesi", Earthquake Symposium, Kocaeli, Turkey, August. (in Turkish)
- Alcocer, S.M., Ruiz, J., Pineda, J.A. and Zepeda, J.A. (1996), "Retrofitting of confined masonry walls with welded wire mesh", 11th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Acapulco, Mexico, September.
- Altin, S., Anil, O., Kara, M.E. and Kaya, M. (2008), "An experimental study on strengthening of masonry infilled RC frames using diagonal CFRP strips", Compos. Part B: Eng., 39(4), 680-693. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2007.06.001
- ElGawady, M.A., Lestuzzi, P. and Badoux, M. (2006), "Retrofitting of masonry walls using shotcrete", Proceedings of New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering Conference, Napier, New Zealand, March.
- ASTM E519/E519M-10 (2010), Standard test method for diagonal tension (shear) in masonry assemblages, American Society for Testing and Materials, West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
- Baran, M. and Tankut, T. (2011), "Experimental study on seismic strengthening of RC frames by precast concrete panels", ACI Struct. J., 108(2), 227-237.
- El-Dakhakhni, W.W., Hamid, A.A., Hakam, Z.H.R. and Elgaaly, M. (2006), "Hazard mitigation and strengthening of unreinforced masonry walls using composites", Compos. Struct., 73(4), 458-477. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2005.02.017
- Erdem, I., Akyuz, U., Ersoy, U. and Ozcebe, G. (2006), "An experimental study on two different strengthening techniques for RC frames", Eng. Struct., 28(13), 1843-1851. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.03.010
- Farooq, S.H., Ilyas, M. and Ghaffar, A. (2006), "Technique for strengthening of masonry wall panels using steel strips", Asian J. Civ. Eng., 7(6), 621-638.
- FEMA 306 (1998), Evaluation of earthquake damaged concrete and masonry wall buildings, Federal Emergency Management Agency, Redwood City, California, U.S.A.
- Frosch, R.J. (1996), "Seismic rehabilitation using precast infill walls", Ph.D Thesis, The University of Texas at Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
- Frosch, R.J., Li, W., Jirsa, J.O. and Kreger, M.E. (1996), "Retrofit of non-ductile moment-resisting frames using precast infill wall panels", Earthq. Spectra, 12(4), 741-760. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1585908
- Ozbek, E. and Can, H. (2012), "Dolgu tugla duvarlarin celik profillerle guclendirilmesi", J. Fac. Eng. Archit. Gazi Uni., 27(4), 921-929. (in Turkish)
- Kahn, L.F. (1984), "Shotcrete retrofit for unreinforced brick masonry", Proceedings of 8th World Congress on Earthquake Engineering, San Francisco, CA, USA, July.
- Korkmaz, S.Z., Kamanli, M., Korkmaz, H.H., Donduren, M.S. and Cogurcu, M.T. (2010), "Experimental study on the behaviour of nonductile infilled RC frames strengthened with external mesh reinforcement and plaster composite", Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci., 10, 2305-2316. https://doi.org/10.5194/nhess-10-2305-2010
- Marjani, F. and Ersoy, U. (2002), "Behavior of brick infilled reinforced concrete frames under reversed cyclic loading", Proceedings of the ECAS2002 International Symposium on Structural and Earthquake Engineering, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey, October.
- Ozcebe, G., Ersoy, U., Tankut, T., Erduran, E., Keskin, R.S.O. and Mertol, H.C. (2003), "Strengthening of brick infilled RC frames with CFRP", SERU-Structural Engineering Research Unit, Report No. 2003/1, TUBITAK-METU, Ankara, Turkey.
- Papanicolaou, C.G., Triantafillou, T.C. and Lekka, M. (2011), "Externally bonded grids as strengthening and seismic retrofitting materials of masonry panels", Construct. Build. Mater., 25(2), 504-514. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2010.07.018
- Papanicolaou, C.G., Triantafillou, T.C., Karlos, K. and Papathanasiou, M. (2007), "Textile-reinforced mortar (TRM) versus FRP as strengthening material of URM walls: in-plane cyclic loading", Mater. Struct., 40(10), 1081-1097. https://doi.org/10.1617/s11527-006-9207-8
- Papanicolaou, C.G., Triantafillou, T.C., Papathanasiou, M. and Karlos, K. (2008), "Textile-reinforced mortar (TRM) versus FRP as strengthening material of URM walls: Out-of-plane cyclic loading", Mater. Struct., 41(1), 143-157.
- Sayin, B. and Kaplan, S.A. (2005), "Deprem etkisi altindaki betonarme yapilarda dolgu duvarlarin modellenme teknikleri", Earthquake Symposium, Kocaeli, Turkey, August. (in Turkish)
- prEN 1998-1:2003 (2003), Eurocode 8: Design of structures for earthquake resistance - Part 1: General rules, seismic actions and rules for buildings, European Committee for Standardization (CEN), Brussels.
- Prota, A., Marcari, G., Fabbrocino, G., Manfredi, G. and Aldea, C. (2006), "Experimental in-plane behavior of tuff masonry strengthened with cementitious matrix-grid composites", J. Compos. Construct. - ASCE, 10(3), 223-233. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0268(2006)10:3(223)
- Saneinejad, A. and Hobbs, B. (1995), "Inelastic design of infilled frames", J. Struct. Eng. - ASCE, 121(4), 634-650. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1995)121:4(634)
- Sevil, T., Baran, M., Bilir, T. and Canbay, E. (2011), "Use of steel fiber reinforced mortar for seismic strengthening", Construct. Build. Mat., 25(2), 892-899. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2010.06.096
- Taghdi, M., Bruneau, M. and Saatcioglu, M. (2000a), "Seismic retrofitting of low-rise masonry and concrete walls using steel strips", J. Struct. Eng. - ASCE, 126(9), 1017-1025. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2000)126:9(1017)
- Taghdi, M., Bruneau, M. and Saatcioglu, M. (2000b), "Analysis and design of low-rise masonry and concrete walls retrofitted using steel strips", J. Struct. Eng. - ASCE, 126(9), 1026-1032. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2000)126:9(1026)
- Topcu, I.B., Isikdag, B., Tatar, O. and Abi, E. (2005), "Depremde hasar gormus binalarin ferrocement panellerle guclendirilmesi", Earthquake Symposium, Kocaeli, Turkey, August. (in Turkish)
- Triantafillou, T.C. (1998), "Strengthening of masonry structures using epoxy-bonded FRP laminates", J. Compos. Construct. - ASCE, 2(2), 96-104. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0268(1998)2:2(96)
- Triantafillou, T.C. and Papanicolaou, C.G. (2006), "Shear strengthening of reinforced concrete members with textile reinforced mortar (TRM) jackets", Mater. Struct., 39(1), 93-103.
- Triantafillou, T.C., Papanicolaou, C.G., Zissimopoulos, P. and Laourdekis, T. (2006), "Concrete confinement with textile-reinforced mortar jackets", ACI Struct. J., 103(1), 28-37.
- Vandergrift, J., Gergely, J. and Joung, D.T. (2002), "CFRP retrofit of masonary walls", Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Composites in Infrastructure (ICCI 02), San Francisco, CA, USA, June.
- Xingke, F. (2008), "Investigation on the influence of infilled wall on the seismic performance of reinforced concrete frame structures", M.E. Thesis, Lanzhou University of Technology, Lanzhou, Gansu, China.
- Seismic strengthening of infill walls with perforated steel plates vol.152, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2017.09.015
- Seismic capacity of masonry infilled RC frame strengthening with expanded metal ferrocement vol.159, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2017.12.034
- The Out-of-Plane Bending Behavior of Brick Infill Walls Strengthened with Perforated Steel Plates vol.17, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.riit.2016.11.002
- Strengthening of hollow brick infill walls with expanded steel plates vol.11, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2016.11.5.887
- Behaviour of brick infill walls strengthened with expanded steel plates vol.14, pp.11, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-016-9927-2