- Volume 6 Issue 2
Dynamic test with scaled model of a group of intake towers was performed to study the dynamic interaction between water and towers. The test model consists of intake tower or towers, massless foundation near the towers and part of water to simulate the dynamic interaction of tower-water-foundation system. Models with a single tower and 4 towers were tested to find the different influences of the water on the tower dynamic properties, seismic responses as well as dynamic water-tower interaction. It is found that the water has little influence on the resonant frequency in the direction perpendicular to flow due to the normal force transfer role of the water in the contraction joints between towers. By the same effect of the water, maximum accelerations in the same direction on 4 towers tend to close to each other as the water level increased from low to normal level. Moreover, the acceleration responses of the single tower model are larger than the group of towers model in both directions in general. Within 30m from the surface of water, hydrodynamic pressures were quite close for a single tower and group of towers model at two water levels. For points deeper than 30m, the pressures increased about 40 to 55% for the group of towers model than the single tower model at both water levels. In respect to the pressures at different towers, two mid towers experienced higher than two side towers, the deeper, the larger the difference. And the inside hydrodynamic pressures are more dependent on ground motions than the outside.
dynamic interaction;intake tower;shaking table test;massless foundation;hydraulic structure
- Daniell, W.E. and Taylor, C.A. (1994), "Full-scale dynamic testing and analysis of a reservoir intake tower", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 23, 1219-1237. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290231105
- Calayir, Y. and Karaton, M. (2005), "Seismic fracture analysis of concrete gravity dams including dam-reservoir interaction", Comput. Struct., 83, 1595-1606. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2005.02.003
- Chen, Z., Xu, Y. and Chu, X. (2010), "Aseismic design analysis and shape optimization of high intake towers in meizoseismal area", Eng. J. Wuhan Univ., 43(2), 218-226. (in Chinese)
- Cocco, L.J., Suarez, L.E. and Matheu, E. (2010), "Development of a nonlinear seismic response capacity spectrum method for intake towers of dams", Struct. Eng. Mech., 36(3), 321-341 https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2010.36.3.321
- Goyal, A. and Chopra, A.K. (1989a), "Hydrodynamic and foundation interaction effects in dynamic of intake towers: frequency response functions", J. Struct. Eng., 115(6), 1371-1385. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1989)115:6(1371)
- Goyal, A. and Chopra, A.K. (1989b), "Hydrodynamic and foundation interaction effects in dynamic of intake towers: earthquake responses", J. Struct. Eng., 115(6), 1386-1395. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1989)115:6(1386)
- Goyal, A. and Chopra, A.K. (1989c), "Simplified evaluation of added hydrodynamic mass for intake towers", J. Eng. Mech., 115(7), 1393-1412. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(1989)115:7(1393)
- Goyal, A. and Chopra, A.K. (1989d), "Simplified evaluation of added hydrodynamic mass for intake towers", J. Eng. Mech., 115(7), 1413-1433. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(1989)115:7(1413)
- Lin, G., Du, J. and Hu, Z. (2007), "Dynamic dam-reservoir interaction analysis including effect of reservoir boundary absorption", Sci. China Series E. Tech. Sci., 50 Supp.1, 1-10.
- Lin, G., Wang, Y. and Hu, Z. (2012), "An efficient approach for frequency-domain and time-domain hydrodynamic analysis of dam-reservoir systems", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 41(13), 1725-1749, DOI:10.1002 /eqe.2154. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2154
- Salah-Mars, S. (2011), "Seismic analyses and potential failure modes of the intake tower and Borel conduit at Lake Isabella auxiliary dam", 31st Annual USSD Conference, San Diego, California, April 11-15, 2011.
- Maity, D. (2005), "A novel far-boundary condition for the finite element analysis of infinite reservoir", Appl. Math. Comput., 170, 1314-1328. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amc.2005.01.020
- Millan, M.A., Young, Y.L. and Prevost, J.H. (2009), "Seismic response of intake towers including dam-tower interaction", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 38, 307-329, DOI: 10.1002/eqe.851. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.851
- Sabatino, R., Crewe, A.J., Daniell, W.E. and Taylor, C.A. (2008), "Seismic performance assessment of lightly reinforced concrete intake towers", The 14th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, 2008, Beijing.
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (2003), Structural design and evaluation of outlet works, Engineer manual 1110-2-2400.
- Vidot, A.L. and Suarez, L.E. (2004), "Seismic analysis of intake towers considering multiple-support excitation and soil-structure interaction effects", ERDC/GSL TR-04-16.
- Wang, H. and Li, D. (2006), "Experimental study of seismic overloading of large arch dam", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 35,199-216, DOI: 10.1002/eqe.517. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.517
- Wang, H. and Li, D. (2007), "Experimental study of dynamic damage of an arch dam", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 36,347-366, DOI: 10.1002/eqe.637. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.637
- Wang, X., Jin, F., Prempramote, S. and Song, C. (2011), "Time-domain analysis of gravity dam-reservoir interaction using high-order doubly asymptotic open boundary", Comput. Struct., 89,668-683. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2011.01.014
- Seismic performance assessment and potential failure modes of intake towers 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11069-016-2395-9