- Volume 9 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Faster Detection of Step Initiation for the Lower Limb Exoskeleton with Vertical GRF Events
- Cha, Dowan ;
- Kang, Daewon ;
- Kim, Kab Il ;
- Kim, Kyung-Soo ;
- Lee, Bum-Joo ;
- Kim, Soohyun
- Received : 2012.11.06
- Accepted : 2013.10.13
- Published : 2014.03.01
We propose a new approach called as a peak time approach for faster detection of step initiation for the lower limb exoskeleton. As faster detection of step initiation is an important criterion in evaluating the lower limb exoskeleton, many studies have investigated approaches to detect step initiation faster, including using electromyography, the center of pressure, the heel-off time and the toe-off time. In this study, we will utilize vertical ground reaction force events to detect step initiation, and compare our approach with prior approaches. Additionally, we will predict the first step's heel strike time with vertical ground reaction force events from multiple regression equations to support our approach. The lower limb exoskeleton should assist the operator's movement much faster and more reliably with our approach.
The lower limb exoskeleton;Step initiation;Ground reaction force
- D. Cha, J. Park, H. Lee, S. Kim and K. Kim, "Exoskeletons: State of the Art and challenge," in Proc. Conference of the korea institute of military science and technology, pp.2042-2045, 2011.
- D. Cha, D. Lee and S. Kim, "Next movement prediction algorithm for metabolic cost reduction in exoskeletons," in Proc. Conference of the korea institute of military science and technology, pp.2088-2090, 2012.
- K. Chu, S. Oh, J. Choi, and K. I. Kim, "A study of the operation method for an exoskeleton robot used to assist the lower limbs power," In Proc. CICS, pp.205-206, 2010.
- K. Chu, S. Oh, J. Choi, and K. I. Kim, "Development of exoskeleton robot used to assist the lower limbs power for soldiers combat enhancement," In Proc. CICS, pp. 354-355, 2010.
- K. Anam, and A. Al-Jumaily, "Active Exoskeleton Control System: State of the Art," Procedia Engineering. Vol. 41, pp.988-994, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2012.07.273
- R. Jimenez-Fabian, and O. Verlinden, "Review of control algorithms for robotic ankle systems in lowerlimb orthoses, prostheses, and exoskeletons," Medical Engineering & Physics, Vol. 34, pp.397-408, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.medengphy.2011.11.018
- H.D. Lee, W.S. Kim, S.N. Yu, B.K. Lee, J.S. Han and C.S. Han, "Human Intent Measurement Method for upper limb exoskeleton using the physical humanrobot interaction," in Proc. Conference of the korean society for precision engineering, pp.959-960, 2010.
- K. Suzuki, G. Mito, H. Kawamoto, Y. Hasegawa, Y. Sankai, "Intention-based walking support for paraplegia patients with Robot Suit HAL," Advanced Robotics, vol. 21, no. 12, pp.959-960, 2010.
- H. Kawamoto, and Y. Sankai, "Power assist method based on Phase Sequence and muscle force condition for HAL," Advanced Robotics, vol. 19, no. 7, pp.717-734, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1163/1568553054455103
- E. Jang, S. Chi, J. Lee, Y. Cho, and B. Chun, "Gait phase detection from EMG and FSR signals in walking," Journal of the science of emotion & sensibility, vol. 13, no. 1, pp.207-214, 2010.
- S. Park, H. Choi, K. Ryu, S. kim and Y. Kim, "Kinematics, kinetics and muscle activities of the lower extremity during the first four steps from gait initiation to the steady-state walking," Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology 23, pp.204-211, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-008-0812-z
- P. Reberšk, D. Navak, J. Podobnik, and M. Munih, "Intention detection during gait initiation using supervised learning," Int. Conf. on Humanoids, Bled, Slovenia, pp. 34-39, 2011.
- J. Pratt, B. Krupp, C. Morse, and S. Collins, "The RoboKnee: An Exoskeleton for Enhancing Strength During Walking," IEEE Conf. on Robotics and Aut., pp. 2430-2434, 2004.
- R. Martinez-Mendez, M. Sekine, and T. Tamura, "Detection of anticipatory postural adjustments prior to gait initiation sing inertial wearable sensor," Journal of Neuro Engineering and Rehabilitation. Vol. 8 (17), 2011.
- H. Kazerooni, L. Racine, I. Huang, and R. Steger, "On the control of the Berkelely Lower Extremity Exoskeleton (BLEEX)," in Proc. Conference of Robotics and Automation, pp. 4353-4360, 2005
- S. Kim, and S. Park, "The oscillatory behaviour of the CoM facilitates mechanical energy balance between push-off and heel strike," J. Biomech. 45 Issue 2, pp. 326-333, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2011.10.009
- S. Kim, and S. Park, "Leg stiffness increases with speed to modulate gait frequency and propulsion energy," J. Biomech. 44 Issue 7, pp.1253-1258, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2011.02.072
- J. Yeom, and S. Park, "A gravitational impulse model predicts collision impulse and mechanical work during a step to step transition," J. Biomech. 44 Issue 1, pp. 59-67, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2010.08.024
- A. Hayter "Probability and statistics for engineers and scientists," Thomson ISE 3, 2007.
- Design and Evaluation of the Unmanned Technology Research Center Exoskeleton Implementing the Precedence Walking Assistance Mechanism vol.10, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2015.10.6.2376