- Volume 9 Issue 2
In this paper, an analytical model for Surrounding Gate (SG) metal-oxide- semiconductor field effect transistors (MOSFETs) considering quantum effects is presented. To achieve this goal, we have used variational approach for solving the Poission and Schrodinger equations. This model is developed to provide an analytical expression for inversion charge distribution function for all regions of device operation. This expression is used to calculate the other important parameters like inversion charge density, threshold voltage, drain current and gate capacitance. The calculated expressions for the above parameters are simple and accurate. This paper also focuses on the gate tunneling issue associated with high dielectric constant. The validity of this model was checked for the devices with different dimensions and bias voltages. The calculated results are compared with the simulation results and they show good agreement.
Surrounding gate MOSFETs;Quantum effects;Inversion charge density function;Variational approach
- J. He, F. Liu, W. Bia, J. Feng, J. Zhang, and X. Zhang, "An approximate carrier-based compact model for fully depleted surrounding-gate MOSFETs with a finite doping body", Semiconductor Science and Technology, Vol.22, No.6, pp.671-677, May 2007. https://doi.org/10.1088/0268-1242/22/6/015
- A. Son, J. Kim, N. Jeong, J. Choi, and H. Shin, "Improved Explicit current-Voltage Model for Long- Channel Undoped Surrounding-Gate Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor", Journal of Applied Physics, Vol.48, pp.412-413, April 2009.
- Y. Chen, and J. Luo, "A Comparative Study of Double-Gate and Surrounding-Gate MOSFETs in Strong Inversion and Accumulation Using An Analytical Model", International Conference on Modeling, Vol.1, 2001, pp.546-549.
- D. Jimenez, and B. Inguiez, "Continuous analytic IV model for surrounding-gate MOSFETs", IEEE Electron Device Letters, Vol.25, No.8, pp. 571-573, Aug 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/LED.2004.831902
- J-P. Colinge, "Multiple-gate SOI MOSFETs", Solid-State Electronics, Vol.48, No. 9-10, pp.897-905, May 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sse.2003.12.020
- J. A. Lopez-Villanueva, P. Cartujo-Cassinello, F. Gamiz, J.Banqueri, A.J.Palma, "Effects of the inversion layer centroid on the performance of double gate MOSFETs", IEEE Transaction on Electron Devices, Vol. 47, No.1, pp. 141 - 146 , Jan 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/16.817579
- J. A Lopez-Villanueva, P. Cartujo-Cassinello, J. Banqueri, F.Gamiz, S. Rodriguez, "Effects of the inversion layer centroid on MOSFET behavior", IEEE Transaction on Electron Devices, Vol. 44, No. 11, pp. 1915-1922, Nov 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/16.641361
- N.Rodriguez, F.Gamiz, J.B.Roldan, "Modelling of the inversion layer centroid and polysilicon depletion effects on ultrathin gate oxide MOSFET behaviour: the influence of the crystallographic orientation", IEEE Transaction on Electron Devices, Vol.54, No.4, pp.723-731, Apr 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TED.2007.891854
- A.Schenk and G. Heiser, "Modeling and Simulation of tunneling through ultra-thin gate dielectrics", Journal of Applied Physics, Vol.81, No.12, pp.7900-7908, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.365364
- B.Govoreanu, P.Blomme, K. Henson, J.V. Houdt and K.D. Meyer, "An effective model for analyzing tunneling gate leakage currents through ultrathin oxides and high-k gate stacks from Si inversion layers", Solid State Electronics, Vol. 48, No.4, pp. 617-625, Apr 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sse.2003.09.031
- Yn.Yuan, Bo.Yu, Jooyoung Song and Yuan Taur, "An Analytical model for threshold voltage shift due to quantum confinment in surrounding gate MOSFETs with anisotropic effective mass", Solid-State Electronics, Vol.53, No.2, pp.140-144, Feb 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sse.2008.10.010
- Yu-Sheng Wu and Pin Su, "Analytical quantum - confinement model for short-channel Gate-All- Around MOSFETs Under Subthreshold Region", IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol.56, pp. 2720-2725, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TED.2009.2030714
- E.Moreno, J.B.Roldan, D.Barrera, A.Godoy, and F. Gamiz, "An Analytical Model for Square GAA MOSFETs including Quantum effects", Solid-State Electronics, Vol.54, No.11, pp.1463-1469, Nov 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sse.2010.05.032
- J.B.Roldan, Andres Godoy, Francisco Gamiz and M. Balaguer, "Modeling the Centroid and the Inversion Charge in Cylindrical Surrounding Gate MOSFETs Including Quantum Effects", IEEE Transcations on Electron Devices, Vol.55, No.1, pp.411-416. Jan 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TED.2007.911096
- P. Vimala, and N.B. Balamurugan, "Modelling the centroid and charge density in double-gate MOSFETs including quatum effcets", International journal of Electronics, Vol.100, No. 9, pp. 1283-1295, Sep 2013. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207217.2012.743081
- Benjamin Iniguez. David Jimenez. Jaume Roig. Hamdy, A. Hamid Lluis, F. Marsal, and Josep Pallares. "Explict continuous model for long-channel undoped surrounding gate MOSFETs", IEEE Transcations on Electron Devices, Vol. 44, No.8, pp. 1868-1873, Aug 2005.
- Design and Simulation of a Frequency Doubler Using Graphene Nanoribbon Field Effect Transistors for Communication Devices pp.1543-186X, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11664-019-07068-y