- Volume 9 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Modeling and Experimental Verification of ANN Based Online Stator Resistance Estimation in DTC-IM Drive
Reza, C.M.F.S.;Islam, Didarul;Mekhilef, Saad
- Received : 2013.08.31
- Accepted : 2013.10.22
- Published : 2014.03.01
Direct Torque controlled induction motor (DTC-IM) drives use stator resistance of the motor for stator flux estimation. So, stator resistance estimation properly is very important for a stable and effective operation of the induction motor. Stator resistance variations because of changing in temperature make DTC operation difficult mainly at low speed. A method based on artificial neural network (ANN) to estimate the stator resistance online of IM for DTC drive is modeled and verified in this paper. To train the neural network a back propagation algorithm is used. Weight adjustment of neural network is done by back propagating the error signal between measured and estimated stator current. An extensive simulation has been carried out in MATLAB/SIMULINK to prove the efficacy of the proposed stator resistance estimator. The simulation & experimental result reveals that proposed method is able to obtain precise torque and flux control at low speed.
ANN;Stator resistance estimator;DTC;IM;Motor drive;Temperature
- E. Shehata, "Speed sensorless torque control of an IPMSM drive with online stator resistance estimation using reduced order EKF," International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, vol. 47, pp. 378-386, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2012.10.068
- A. R. Teja, C. Chakraborty, S. Maiti, and Y. Hori, "A New Model Reference Adaptive Controller for Four Quadrant Vector Controlled Induction Motor Drives," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 59, p. 3757, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2164769
- J. Campbell and M. Sumner, "Practical sensorless induction motor drive employing an artificial neural network for online parameter adaptation," in IEE Proceedings-Electric Power Applications, 2002, pp. 255-260.
- V. Vasic, S. N. Vukosavic, and E. Levi, "A stator resistance estimation scheme for speed sensorless rotor flux oriented induction motor drives," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, vol. 18, pp. 476-483, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2003.816595
- S. Mir, M. E. Elbuluk, and D. S. Zinger, "PI and fuzzy estimators for tuning the stator resistance in direct torque control of induction machines," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 13, pp. 279-287, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.662841
- D. Vukadinovic, M. Basic, and L. Kulisic, "Stator resistance identification based on neural and fuzzy logic principles in an induction motor drive," Neurocomputing, vol. 73, pp. 602-612, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neucom.2009.06.017
- F. Zidani, D. Diallo, M. Benbouzid, and R. Nait-Said, "Direct torque control of induction motor with fuzzy stator resistance adaptation," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, vol. 21, pp. 619-621, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2006.874251
- L. A. Cabrera, M. E. Elbuluk, and I. Husain, "Tuning the stator resistance of induction motors using artificial neural network," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 12, pp. 779-787, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.622995
- S. A. Mir, D. S. Zinger, and M. E. Elbuluk, "Fuzzy controller for inverter fed induction machines," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 30, pp. 78-84, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.273624
- N. Jaalam, A. Haidar, N. Ramli, N. Ismail, and A. Sulaiman, "A Neuro-fuzzy approach for stator resistance estimation of induction motor," in International Conference on Electrical, Control and Computer Engineering (INECCE), 2011 2011, pp. 394-398.
- F. R. Salmasi and T. A. Najafabadi, "An adaptive observer with online rotor and stator resistance estimation for induction motors with one phase current sensor," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, vol. 26, pp. 959-966, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2011.2159007
- M. Hinkkanen, L. Harnefors, and J. Luomi, "Reduced-order flux observers with stator-resistance adaptation for speed-sensorless induction motor drives," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 25, pp. 1173-1183, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2039650
- N. R. N. Idris and A. H. M. Yatim, "An improved stator flux estimation in steady-state operation for direct torque control of induction machines," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 38, pp. 110-116, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.980364
- A. Kadir, S. Mekhilef, and W. Hew, "Comparison of Basic Direct Torque Control Designs for Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor," in 7th International Conference on Power Electronics and Drive Systems (PEDS), 2007, pp. 1344-1349.
- M. Depenbrock, "Direct self-control (DSC) of inverter-fed induction machine," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 3, pp. 420-429, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.17963
- L. Aarniovuori, L. I. Laurila, M. Niemela, and J. J. Pyrhonen, "Measurements and Simulations of DTC Voltage Source Converter and Induction Motor Losses," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 59, pp. 2277-2287, 2012.
- S. Mekhilef and M. A. Kadir, "Novel vector control method for three-stage hybrid cascaded multilevel inverter," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 58, pp. 1339-1349, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2049716
- K.-B. Lee, S.-H. Huh, J.-Y. Yoo, and F. Blaabjerg, "Performance improvement of DTC for induction motor-fed by three-level inverter with an uncertainty observer using RBFN," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, vol. 20, pp. 276-283, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2005.845542
- X. Yanping, Z. Yanru, and L. Jie, "Fuzzy stator resistance estimator for a direct torque controlled interior permanent magnet synchronous motor," in Proceedings of the Eighth International Conference on Electrical Machines and Systems (ICEMS), 2005., 2005, pp. 438-441 Vol. 1.
- S. B. Lee, T. G. Habetler, R. G. Harley, and D. J. Gritter, "An evaluation of model-based stator resistance estimation for induction motor stator winding temperature monitoring," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, vol. 17, pp. 7-15, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/60.986431
- L. Umanand and S. Bhat, "Online estimation of stator resistance of an induction motor for speed control applications," in IEE Proceedings-Electric Power Applications, 1995, pp. 97-103.
- R. J. Kerkman, B. J. Seibel, T. M. Rowan, and D. Schlegel, "A new flux and stator resistance identifier for AC drive systems," in Conference Record of the 1995 IEEE Industry Applications Conference. Thirtieth IAS Annual Meeting, IAS'95., 1995, pp. 310-318.
- T. G. Habetler, F. Profumo, G. Griva, M. Pastorelli, and A. Bettini, "Stator resistance tuning in a statorflux field-oriented drive using an instantaneous hybrid flux estimator," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 13, pp. 125-133, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.654966
- I.-J. Ha and S.-H. Lee, "An online identification method for both stator-and rotor resistances of induction motors without rotational transducers," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 47, pp. 842-853, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.857964
- M. K. Menshawi, A. Kadir, and S. Mekhilef, "Voltage Vector Approximation Control of Multistage - Multilevel Inverter Using Simplified Logic Implementation," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, vol. 9, pp.2052-2062,2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TII.2012.2235072
- M. Tsuji, S. Chen, K. Izumi, and E. Yamada, "A sensorless vector control system for induction motors using q-axis flux with stator resistance identificat-ion," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 48, pp. 185-194, 2001.
- K. Akatsu and A. Kawamura, "Sensorless very lowspeed and zero-speed estimations with online rotor resistance estimation of induction motor without signal injection," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 36, pp. 764-771, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.845051
- R. Marino, S. Peresada, and P. Tomei, "On-line stator and rotor resistance estimation for induction motors," IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, vol. 8, pp. 570-579, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/87.845888
- G. Guidi and H. Umida, "A novel stator resistance estimation method for speed-sensorless induction motor drives," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 36, pp. 1619-1627, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.887214
- E. D. Mitronikas, A. N. Safacas, and E. C. Tatakis, "A new stator resistance tuning method for stator-fluxoriented vector-controlled induction motor drive," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 48, pp. 1148-1157, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.969393
- S. Mekhilef and A. Kadir, "Voltage control of threestage hybrid multilevel inverter using vector transformation," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 25, pp. 2599-2606, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2051040
- S. Mekhilef, M. N. Abdul Kadir, and Z. Salam, "Digital Control of Three Phase Three-Stage Hybrid Multilevel Inverter," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, vol. 9, pp. 719-727, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TII.2012.2223669
- M. B. K. Jarray, and M. Tholomier, "Stator resistance tuning in sensorless stator-flux field-oriented induction motor drive," in Int. Conf. on Electrical Machines ICEM, 2000, pp. 543-547.
- B. Raison, J. Arza, G. Rostaing, and J. Rognon, "Comparison of two extended observers for the resistance estimation of an induction machine," in Conference Record of the 2000 IEEE Industry Appli cations Conference, 2000, pp. 1330-1335.
- T. Hamajima, M. Hasegawa, S. Doki, and S. Okuma, "Sensorless vector control of induction motor with stator resistance identification based on augmented error," in Proceedings of the Power Conversion Conference,PCC Osaka 2002, pp. 504-509.
- T. N. K. Shinohara, H. Arima, and W. Z. W. Mustafa, "Online tuning method of stator and rotor resistances in both motoring and re-generating operations for vector controlled induction machines," Elect.Eng. Jpn, vol. 135, pp. 56-64, 2001.
- E. E. Ozsoy, M. Gokasan, and S. Bogosyan, "Simultaneous rotor and stator resistance estimation of squirrel cage induction machine with a single extended kalman filter," Turk. J. Elec. Eng. & Comp. Sci, vol. 18, 2010.
- N. Salvatore, A. Caponio, F. Neri, S. Stasi, and G. L. Cascella, "Optimization of delayed-state Kalmanfilter- based algorithm via differential evolution for sensorless control of induction motors," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 57, pp. 385-394, 2010.
- Stability and Performance Investigations of Model Predictive Controlled Active-Front-End (AFE) Rectifiers for Energy Storage Systems vol.15, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.1.202
- Modeling and Experimental Validation of 5-level Hybrid H-bridge Multilevel Inverter Fed DTC-IM Drive vol.10, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2015.10.2.574
- A review of reliable and energy efficient direct torque controlled induction motor drives vol.37, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2014.05.067
- Modified Model Predictive Control of a Bidirectional AC–DC Converter Based on Lyapunov Function for Energy Storage Systems vol.63, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2015.2478752
- New application of predictive direct torque control in permanent magnet synchronous generator-based wind turbine vol.7, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4915261