- Volume 9 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Analysis and Compensation of Current Measurement Errors in a Doubly Fed Induction Generator
- Son, Yung-Deug ;
- Im, Won-Sang ;
- Park, Han-Seok ;
- Kim, Jang-Mok
- Received : 2013.08.08
- Accepted : 2013.10.22
- Published : 2014.03.01
It is necessary to measure the current of rotor for controlling the active and reactive power generated by the stator side of the doubly fed induction generator (DFIG) system. There are offset and scaling errors in the current measurement. The offset and scaling errors cause one and two times current ripples of slip frequency in the synchronous reference frame of vector control, respectively. This paper proposes a compensation method to reduce their ripples. The stator current is variable according to the wind force but the rotor current is almost constant. Therefore input of the rotor current is more useful for a compensation method. The proposed method adopts the synchronous d-axis current of the rotor as the input signal for compensation. The ripples of the measurement errors can be calculated by integrating the synchronous d-axis stator current. The calculated errors are added to the reference current of rotor as input of the current regulator, then the ripples are reduced. Experimental results show the effectiveness of the proposed method.
DFIG;Ripple errors;Current sensor error;Offset;Scaling;Synchronous d-axis rotor current
- Lihui Yang, Zhao Xu, and Zhao Yang Dong, "Advanced Control Strategy of DFIG Wind Turbines for Power System Fault Ride Through," IEEE Trans. Power Systems, Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 713-722, 2012 https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2011.2174387
- S.Muller, M.Deicke, and R. W. De Doncker, "Doubly fed inductioin generator systems for wind turbines," IEEE Industry Applications Magazine, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 26-33, 2002.
- Kiani. M, and W.J. Lee, "Effects of Voltage Unbalance and System harmonics on the Performance of Doubly Fed Induction Wind Generators," Industry Application Society Annual Meeting, pp. 1-7, Oct. 2008.
- Young-Do Choy, Byung-Moon Han,Jun-Young Lee and Gilsoo Jang, "Real-Time Hardware Simulator for Grid-Tied PMSG Wind Power System," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 375-383, 2011 https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2011.6.3.375
- M. Yamamoto and O. Motoyoshi, "Active and Reactive Power Control for Doubly-Fed Wound Rotor Induction Generator," IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, Vol. 6, No 4, pp. 624-629 Oct 1991. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.97761
- R. Pena, J.C. Clare and G.M. Asher, "A doubly-fed induction generator using two back-to-back PWM converters and its application to variable speed wind energy system," IEE Proc. Vol. 143, No. 3, pp. 231-241, May, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-com:19960613
- Hofman. W and Okafor. F, "Optimal control doubly fed full controlled induction wind generator with high efficiency," IECON '01, 27th annual Conference of the IEEE, Vol.3, No.3, pp.1213-1218, Dec, 2001
- G. Saccomando, J. Svensson, and A. Sannino, "Improving Voltage Disturbance Rejection for Variablesspeed Wind Turbines," IEEE Trans. Energy Conversion, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 422-428, Sep. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2002.801989
- Gwang-Seob Kim, Kyo-Beum Lee, Dong-Choon Lee and Jang-Mok Kim, "Fault Diagnosis and Fault- Tolerant Control of DC-link Voltage Sensor for Twostage Three-Phase Grid-Connected PV Inverters," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, Vol. 8, No. 4: 752-759, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2013.8.4.752
- Behzad Mirzaeian Dehkordi, Amir Farrokh Payam, Mohammad Naser Hashemnia and Seung-Ki Sul, "Design of an Adaptive Backstepping Controller for Doubly-Fed Induction Machine Drives," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 343-353, May. 2009.
- Han-Su Jung, Seon-Hwan Hwang, Jang-Mok Kim, Cheul-U Kim and Cheol Choi, "Diminution of Current-Measurement Error for Vector-Controlled AC Motor Drives," IEEE Trans. Industry Applications, Vol. 42, No. 5, pp. 1249-1256, Sept.-Oct. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2006.880904
- Dae-Woong Chung and Seung-Ki Sul, "Analysis and Compensation of Current Measurement Error in Vector-Controlled AC Motor Drivers," IEEE Trans. Industry Applications, Vol. 34, No. 2, pp. 340-345, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.663477
- B. H. Lam, S. K. Panda, J. X. Xu and K. W. Lim, "Torque ripple minimization in PM synchronous motor using iterative learning control," in proceedings of the 1999 Industrial Electronics Society Annual Conference of the IEEE, vol. 3, pp. 1458-1463, 1999.
- Roberto Barro and Ping Hsu, "Torque ripple compensation of induction motors under field oriented control," IEEE APEC Conference, Vol. 1, pp. 527-533, 1997.
- Weizhe Qian, S. K. Panda and J. X. Xu, "Reduction of periodic torque ripple in PM synchronous motors using learning variable structure control," IEEE IECON Conf., vol. 2, pp. 1032-1037, 2002.
- Jong-Woo Choi, Sang-Sup Lee, Sang-Yeop Yu and Seok-Joo Kang, "Novel periodic torque ripple compensation scheme in vector controlled AC motor drives," IEEE APEC Conference, Vol. 1, pp.81-85, 1998.
- Sol-Bin Lee, Kyo-Beum Lee, Dong-Choon Lee and Jang-Mok Kim, "An Improved Control Method for a DFIG in a Wind Turbine under an Unbalanced Grid Voltage Condition," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 614-622, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2010.5.4.614
- Young-Il Kim, Seon-Hwan Hwang, Jang-Mok Kim, Seung-Ho Song, Chan-Ki Kim and Young-Do Choy, "Reduction of current ripples due to current measurement errors in a doubly fed induction generator," IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition(APEC) 2008, pp.756-760, 2008.
- Gui-Geun Park, Seon-Hwan Hwang, Jang-Mok Kim, Kyo-Beum Lee and Dong-Choon Lee, "Reduction of Current Ripples due to Current Measurement Errors in a Doubly Fed Induction Generator," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 313-319, May. 2008. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2010.10.3.313
- Won-Sang Im, Seon-Hwan Hwang, Jang-Mok Kim and Jeaho Choi, "Analysis and compensation of current measurement errors in a doubly fed induction generator," IEEE Energy conversion congress and Exposition(ECCE) 2009, pp. 1713-1719, 2009.