- Volume 9 Issue 2
Low frequency oscillations (LFOs) are load angle oscillations that have a frequency between 0.1-2.0 Hz. Power system stabilizers (PSSs) are very effective controllers in improvement of the damping of LFOs. PSSs are designed by linearized models of the power system. This paper presents a new model of the power system that has the advantages of the Single Machine Infinite Bus (SMIB) system and the multi machine power system. This model is named a single machine normal-bus (SMNB). The equations that describe the proposed model have been linearized and a lead PSS has been designed. Then, particle swarm optimization technique (PSO) is employed to search for optimum PSS parameters. To analysis performance of PSS that has been designed based on the proposed model, a few tests have been implemented. The results show that designed PSS has an excellent capability in enhancing extremely the dynamic stability of power systems and also maintain coordination between PSSs.
Low frequency oscillation;Particle swarm optimization;Single machine normal bus;Power system stabilizer
- Y. L. Abdel-Magid, and M.A. Abido, "Robust Coordinated Design of Excitation and TCSC-Based Stabilizers Using Genetic Algorithms", Electric Power Systems Research., Vol. 69. pp. 129-141, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2003.06.009
- F. P. Demello, and C. Concordia, "Concepts of synchronous machine stability as affected by excitation control", IEEE Trans. Power Apparatus Syst., Vol. 88. pp. 316-29, 1969.
- F. P. Schleif, and J. H. White, "Damping for the Northwest-Southwest tie line oscillations an analog Study", IEEE Trans. Power Apparatus Syst., Vol. 85. pp. 1239-47, 1966.
- IEEE Working Group on System Oscillations, Inter Area Oscillation in Power Systems, IEEE Special Publications, Vol. 95, 1995.
- E. V. Larsen and D. A. Swann, "Applying power system stabilizers", part I and II, IEEE Trans. PAS., Vol. 100. pp. 3017-3046, 1981.
- Y. Y. Hsu and C. Y. Hsu, "Design of a proportionalintegral power system stabilizer", IEEE Trans Power Systems., Vol. 2, pp. 92-100, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.1987.4335079
- A. Phiri, and K. A. Folly, "Application of Breeder GA to Power System Controller Design", the IEEE Swarm Intelligence Symposium, Saint Louis, USA, 2008.
- S. Sheetekelai, K. Folly, and O. Malik, "Design and Implementation of Power System Stabilizers Based on Evolutionary Algorithms", The IEEE conference, Sep. 2009, Nairobi.
- P. M. Anderson, A. A. Fouad, "Power System Control and Stability". Ames, Iowa state University Press. 1977.
- A. R. Bergen, "Power system Analysis". Prentice- Hall, Englwood Cliffs, 1986.
- Y. N. Yu, "Electric Power System Dynamic". Academic Press, New York, 1983.
- H. M. Soliman, and M. M. F. Saker, "Wide-Range Power System Pole Placer", IEE Proc., Pt. C, 135. pp. 195-201, 1988.
- Y. Diao, O. Wasynczuk and P. C. Krause, "Solution of State Equations in Terms of Separated Modes With Applications to Synchronous Machines", IEEE Trans. EC. Ec-1, Sep. 1986.
- IEEE Recommended Practice for Excitation System Models for Power System Stability Studies, IEEE Std. 421.5-1992.
- H. M. Soliman, El A. L. Shafei, A. A. Shaltout and M. F. Morsi, "Robust Power System Stabilizer", IEE Proc. Pt. C 147, pp. 285-291, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-com:20000661
- S. Miyuan, W. Juan and P. Danni, "Particle Swarm and Ant Colony Algorithms Hybridized for Multimode Resource-constrained Project Scheduling Problem with Minimum Time Lag", IEEE Conference, pp. 5898-902, 2007.
- L. Zhao and Y. Yang, "PSO-based single multiplicative neuron model for time series prediction", International journal of Expert Systems with Applications, pp. 2805-2812, 2009.
- Modeling of Bi-directional DC/DC Converter for Connecting DC Distribution System using EMTP vol.63, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5370/KIEE.2014.63.5.615