- Volume 23 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Characteristics of Heavy Metal Accumulation and Removing from Soil using Korean Native Plant, Liriope platyphylla for Phytoremediation
환경정화용 녹색식물소재로서 자생 맥문동의 중금속 축적 및 토양 내 제거 특징
- Ju, Jin-Hee (Department of Green Technology Convergence, Konkuk University) ;
- Yoon, Young-Han (Department of Green Technology Convergence, Konkuk University)
- Received : 2013.05.20
- Accepted : 2013.07.15
- Published : 2014.01.31
This study attempted to utilize various groundcover plants in phytoremediation, using shade plants, which often have a high shade tolerance for shade urban space. Liriope platyphylla was grown in soil containing three of heavy metals, Zn, Cd, and Pb under four different concentrations (0, 100, 250 and 500 mg/kg) to determine the heavy metal accumulation characteristics and removing from soil. Total amounts of accumulated Zn in L. platyphylla were increased in accordance with increasing elevated Zn concentrations in soil, but the difference was not significant between Zn250 and Zn500. Cd accumulation, sharply increased in Cd100 and Cd250, but was reduced in Cd500. Increased Pb concentration in soil resulted a continuous increase in the total amounts of Pb accumulated in L. platyphylla. The total content of Zn in soil decreased by almost 50% in Zn100, almost 33% in Zn250 and 20% in Zn500 through growth of L. platyphylla over a period of 7 months. In the case of Cd, the concentration in soil, was decreased with 10% in Cd100, 10% in Cd250 and 33% in Cd500 through growth of L. platyphylla over a period of 7 months. This results indicate that more Cd was removed by planting L. platyphylla, compared to Zn or Pb.
Heavy metal tolerance;Landscape plants;Phytoremediation;Shade plants
- Anthony, G. K., Singh, B., Bhatia, N. P., 2006, Heavy metal tolerance in common fern species, Austral. J. Bot., 55(1), 63-73.
- Brown, S. L., Angle, J. S., 1995, Zinc and cadmium uptake by hyperaccumulator Thlaspi caerulescens grown in nutrient solution, Soil Sci. Soc. Amer. J., 59, 125-133. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj1995.03615995005900010020x
- Boon, D. Y., Soltanpoutr, P. N., 1992, Lead : cadmium and zinc contamination of aspen garden soils and vegetation, J. Environ. Qual., 21(1), 2182-86.
- Chaney, R. L., Malik, M., Li, Y. M., Brown, S. L., Angle, J. S., Baker, A.J.M., 1997, Phytoremediation of soil metals, Biotechnology, 8, 279-284.
- Choi, M. K., Chiang, M. H., 2003, Physiological and biochemical responses and heavy metal accumulation of Artemisia princeps and Helianthus annuus in the abandoned zinc mine area for phytoremediation, Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol., 12, 451-456.
- Cho, H. D., 1999, The absorption and purification of air pollutants and heavy metals by selected trees in Kwangju, J. Korean For. Soc., 88(4), 510-522.
- Gladkov, E. A., Gladkova, O. N., and Glushetskaya, L. S., 2011, Estimation of heavy metal resistance in the second generation of creeping bentgrass (Agrostis solonifera) obtained by cell selection for resistance to these contaminants and the ability of this plant to accumulate heavy metals, Biochemi. Microbiol., 47(8), 776-779. https://doi.org/10.1134/S0003683811080035
- Hammer, N., 1992, Interior landscape design, McGraw Hill Architectural & Scientific Publications, Inc., 102-103.
- Hong, C. O., Kim, S .Y., Kim, P. J., 2011, Effect of phosphate fertilizer and manure in reducing cadmium phytoavailability in radish-grown soil, Korean J. Environ. Agric., 30(3), 261-267. https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2011.30.3.261
- Hong, C. O., Kim, Y. G., Lee, S. M., Park, H. C., Kim, K. K., Son, H. J., Cho, J. H., Kim, P. J., 2013, Liming effect on cadmium immobilization and phytoavailability in paddy soil affected by mining activity, Korean J Environ Agric., 32(1), 1-8. https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2013.32.1.1
- Ju Y. K., Kwon, H. J., Cho, J. S., Shin, S. L., Kim, T. S., Choi, S. B., Lee, C. H., 2011, Growth and heavy metal absorption capacity of Aster koraiensis Nakai according to types of land use, Korean J. Plant Res., 24(1), 48-54. https://doi.org/10.7732/kjpr.2011.24.1.048
- Jung, G. B., Kim, W. I., Lee, J. S., Kim, J. H., Yun, S. G., 2004, Assessment on the content of heavy metal in orchard soil in middle part of Korea, Korean J. Environ. Agric., 23(1), 15-21. https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2004.23.1.015
- Kang, K. H., Kim, I. S., 1996, Study on the Elimination of heavy metal pollutants in the soil by vascular plant in the river area, Journal of KoSES, 1(2), 23-34.
- Lee, S. C., Song, W. S., 2011, Cadmium accumulation and tolerance of Iris pseudacorus and Acorus calamus as aquatic plants native to Korea, Kor. J. Hort. Sci. Technol., 29(5), 413-419.
- National Institute of Agricultural Science and Technology, 2007, Chinese cabbage organically grown manual, 22.
- Ministry of Environment, 2002, Revision of soil contamination process test method, 116.
- Ministry of Environment, 2007, Soil monitoring system and survey results on 2007, 328.
- Park J. B., 2007, Accumulated concentration of lead in plant organ of Arabidopsis thaliana exposed to Lead, J. Life Sci., 17(10), 1414-1418. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2007.17.10.1414
- A Study of Burcucumber Biochars to Remediate Soil Pb Considering GWP (Global Warming Potential) vol.37, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2015.37.7.432