- Volume 32 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
An 87-year-old patient with repeated oligorecurrences over six years whose disease were treated with radiotherapy alone
- Yun, Hyong Geun (Department of Radiation Oncology, Dongguk University Ilsan Hospital)
- Received : 2014.08.14
- Accepted : 2014.09.30
- Published : 2014.12.31
In the clinical state of oligometastases or oligorecurrence, a transitional state between localized and widespread systemic disease, local control of the disease may yield improved systemic control. Radiotherapy may be a good means for controlling oligometastatic tumors, particularly in very old patients for whom surgery may be infeasible. A combination of systemic therapy and local therapy is necessary to prevent systemic progression. Some kinds of cancers found in the elderly are known to be somewhat indolent for systemic progression. So, for very old patients who refuse or cannot tolerate chemotherapy, the use of radical radiotherapy alone to treat oligorecurrences may be very helpful. We successfully treated an 87-year-old patient who had been diagnosed with oligorecurrences three times over six years with radiotherapy alone. The patient is now, about four years after his first radiotherapy for liver metastasis, alive without any evidence of cancer and with fully active performance status.
- Hellman S, Weichselbaum RR. Oligometastases. J Clin Oncol 1995;13:8-10.
- Niibe Y, Hayakawa K. Oligometastases and oligo-recurrence: the new era of cancer therapy. Jpn J Clin Oncol 2010;40:107-11. https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hyp167
- Niibe Y, Kazumoto T, Toita T, et al. Frequency and characteristics of isolated para-aortic lymph node recurrence in patients with uterine cervical carcinoma in Japan: a multi-institutional study. Gynecol Oncol 2006;103:435-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2006.03.034
- Niibe Y, Kenjo M, Kazumoto T, et al. Multi-institutional study of radiation therapy for isolated para-aortic lymph node recurrence in uterine cervical carcinoma: 84 subjects of a population of more than 5,000. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2006;66:1366-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2006.07.1384
- Niibe Y, Kuranami M, Matsunaga K, et al. Value of high- dose radiation therapy for isolated osseous metastasis in breast cancer in terms of oligo-recurrence. Anticancer Res 2008;28:3929-31.
- Niibe Y, Chang JY, Onishi H, Salama J, Hiraki T, Yamashita H. Oligometastases/oligo-recurrence of lung cancer. Pulm Med 2013;2013:438236.
- Stec R, Bodnar L, Smoter M, Maczewski M, Szczylik C. Metastatic colorectal cancer in the elderly: an overview of the systemic treatment modalities (review). Oncol Lett 2011;2:3-11. https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2010.212
- Petrakis IE, Paraskakis S. Breast cancer in the elderly. Arch Gerontol Geriatr 2010;50:179-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2009.03.007
- Repetto L, Balducci L. A case for geriatric oncology. Lancet Oncol 2002;3:289-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(02)00730-1
- Janssen-Heijnen ML, Houterman S, Lemmens VE, Louwman MW, Maas HA, Coebergh JW. Prognostic impact of increasing age and co-morbidity in cancer patients: a population-based approach. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 2005;55:231-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.critrevonc.2005.04.008
- Halsted WS. The results of operations for the cure of cancer of the breast performed at the Johns Hopkins Hospital from June, 1889, to January, 1894. Ann Surg 1894;20:497-555. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000658-189407000-00075
- Fisher B. Laboratory and clinical research in breast cancer: a personal adventure: the David A. Karnofsky memorial lecture. Cancer Res 1980;40:3863-74.
- Punglia RS, Morrow M, Winer EP, Harris JR. Local therapy and survival in breast cancer. N Engl J Med 2007;356:2399-405. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMra065241
- Choi Y, Kim JW, Lee IJ, Han HJ, Baek J, Seong J. Helical tomotherapy for spine oligometastases from gastrointestinal malignancies. Radiat Oncol J 2011;29:219-27. https://doi.org/10.3857/roj.2011.29.4.219
- Klapper W, Kreuz M, Kohler CW, et al. Patient age at diagnosis is associated with the molecular characteristics of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Blood 2012;119:1882-7. https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2011-10-388470
- Harding C, Pompei F, Wilson R. Peak and decline in cancer incidence, mortality, and prevalence at old ages. Cancer 2012;118:1371-86. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.26376