- Volume 18 Issue 1
It is established that the perceived image contrast is affected by surround luminance. In order to get the same perceived image contrast, the optimum surround compensation ratios for those surround conditions is needed. Much research has been performed for dark, dim, and average surrounds. In this study, a wide range of surround luminance from dark up to
Perceived contrast;Perceived brightness;Wide range of surround luminance;Contrast compensation ratio
- J. C. Stevens and S. S. Stevens, "Brightness function: effects of adaptation," J. Opt. Soc. Am 53, 375-385 (1963). https://doi.org/10.1364/JOSA.53.000375
- C. J. Bartleson, "Optimum image tone reproduction," Journal of the SMPTE 84, 613-618 (1975). https://doi.org/10.5594/J13320
- M. D. Fairchild, "Refinement of the RLAB color space," Color Res. Appl. 21, 338-346 (1998).
- M. D. Fairchild, Color Appearance Models (Addison-Wesley, Messachusette, MA, USA, 1998).
- M. D. Fairchild, "A revision of CIECAM97s for practical applications," Color Research&Application 26, 418-427 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1002/col.1061
- N. Moroney, M. D. Fairchild, R. W. Hunt, C. Li, M. R. Luo, and T. Newman, "The CIECAM02 color appearance model," in Proc. IS&T/SID 10th Color and Imaging Conference (Scottsdale, AZ, USA, 2002), pp. 23-27.
- C. J. Bartleson and E. J. Breneman, "Brightness perception in complex fields," J. Opt. Soc. Am 57, 953-956 (1967). https://doi.org/10.1364/JOSA.57.000953
- M. D. Fairchild, "Considering the surround in device independent color imaging," Color Research and Application 20, 352-363 (1995). https://doi.org/10.1002/col.5080200604
- Y. S. Baek, Y. J. Kim, H. Kim, and S. Park, "Measurement of the optimum surround ratio inducing the highest perceived image contrast," Journal of Electronic Imaging 19, 043013-043017 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1117/1.3506735
- Y. Park, C. Li, M. R. Luo, Y. Kwak, D. Park, and C. Kim, "Applying CIECAM02 for mobile display viewing conditions," in Proc. IS&T/SID 15th Color Imaging Conference (Albuquerque, NM, USA, 2007), pp. 169-173.
- S. Y. Choi, M. R. Luo, and M. R. Pointer, "Colour appearance change of a large sixe display under various illumination conditions," in Proc. SPIE Color Imaging XII: Processing, Hardcopy, and Applications (San Jose, CA, USA, 2007), 649308-01-09.
- Y. J. Kim and H. Kim, "Spatial luminance contrast sensitivity: effects of surround," J. Opt. Soc. Korea 14, 152-162 (2010). https://doi.org/10.3807/JOSK.2010.14.2.152
- M. R. Luo, A. A. Clarke, P. A. Rhodes, A. Schappo, A. R. Scrivener, and C. J. Tait, "Quantifying colour appearance. Part 1. LUTCHI colour appearance data," Color Res. Appl. 16, 166-180 (1991). https://doi.org/10.1002/col.5080160307
- J. L. Devore, Probability and Statistics for Engineering and the Sciences (Duxbury Press, Boston, USA, 2011).
- Monitor brightness changes under a wide range of surround conditions vol.34, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1364/JOSAA.34.000216
- An RGB to RGBY Color Conversion Algorithm for Liquid Crystal Display Using RGW Pixel with Two-Field Sequential Driving Method vol.18, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3807/JOSK.2014.18.6.777
- A Perceived Contrast Compensation Method Adaptive to Surround Luminance Variation for Mobile Phones vol.18, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3807/JOSK.2014.18.6.809