- Volume 15 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Cultural Competency and Demand for a Multicultural Education Program among Nursing College Students
간호대학생의 문화적 역량과 다문화 교육 요구도에 관한 연구
- Lee, Inn Sook (Department of Nursing, Gangdong College) ;
- Cho, Ju Yeon (Department of Nursing, Suwon Science College)
- Received : 2013.09.04
- Accepted : 2014.01.09
- Published : 2014.01.31
This study analyzed the cultural competency and demand for a multicultural education program among nursing college students. The participants were 278 college students gathered through convenience sample method. Data were collected from November, 19 to 30, 2012 and analyzed using SPSS/PC Win 12.0 program. The major findings were as follows, First, the mean scores of cultural competency and demand for a multicultural education program were 2.8 and 3.9. respectively. Second, cultural competency scores of students varied with multicultural educational course experience. Third, demand for a multicultural education program varied in accordance with student's views of the necessity of multicultural education. Our results suggest that, courses focusing on understanding multicultural clients are needed and highly desired by nursing students.
- K. H. Kim, E. K. Lee, & J. S. Kim, Cognition of Multicultural Families in Hospital Nurses, Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, 13(6B), pp. 3049-3058, 2011.
- S. H. Min, & M. Y. Lee, A exploratory study about the cultural competence of university students-focused on the cultural awareness, Journal of Adolescent Welfare, pp. 183-206, 2009.
- Clark, L. & Thornam, C., Using educational technology to teach cultural assessment, The Journal of Nursing Education, 41(3), pp. 117-120, 2002.
- C. K. Koh, & S. K. Koh, Married Female Migrants' Experiences of Health Care Services, Journal of Korean Academy Nursing Education, 15(1), pp. 89-99, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2009.15.1.089 https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2009.15.1.089
- Maier-Lorentz, M. M., Transcultural nursing: its importance in nursing practice, Journal of Cultural Diversity, 15(1), pp. 37-43, 2008.
- Weaver, H. N., Explorations in Cultural Competence, CA: Thomson Brooks/Cole. 2005.
- Purnell, L., The Purnell Model for Cultural Competence, Journal of Transcultural Nursing, 13(3), pp. 193-196, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1177/10459602013003006
- M. K. Kim, A Qualitative Study on University Students' Multicultural Competence, -Focusing on the Cultural Cognition, Cultural Knowledge and Cultural Skill, 19(6), 945-965, 2010.
- Y. J. Kim, J. Y. Lee, & S. H. Cho, An Explorative Study of Perceived Cultural Competency of Medical Social Workers in Korea, Health and Social Welfare Review, 31(3), pp. 251-283, 2011. https://doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2011.31.3.251
- J. S. Park, Study on cultural competence of nurses working in general hospital, Graduate School, Keimyung University, Ph. D Thesis, 2011.
- M. G. Yeum, The Actual Conditions of 'Understanding Multiculture Lecture and the Attendees' Consciousness on Multiculture at the University, Contemporary Society and Multiculture, 2(1), pp. 211-233, 2012.
- S. K. Koh, A Study on Factors Affecting Childcare Teacher's Cultural Capability, Graduate School, Chosun University, Master's Thesis, 2011.
- Campinha-Bacote, J., Becoming culturally competent in ethic psychopharmacology, Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health Service, 45(9), pp. 27-33, 2007.
- Caffrey, R. A., Neander, W., Markle, D., & Stewart, B., Improving the cultural competence of nursing students : results of integrating cultural content in the curriculum and an international immersion experience, Journal of Nursing Education, 44(5), pp. 224-234, 2005.
- St. Clair, A., & McKenry, L., Preparing culturally competent practitioners, Journal of Nursing Education, 38(5), pp. 228-234, 1999.
- A. J. Im, Dental Hygienist's Multicultural awareness and actual condition survey of education, Graduate School of Legal Studies and Public Administration, Dankook University, Master's Thesis, 2011.
- Bond, M. L., Kardong-Edgren, S., & Jones, M. E., Assessment of professional nursing students' knowledge and attitudes about patients of diverse cultures, Journal of Professional Nursing, 17(6), pp. 305-312, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1053/jpnu.2001.28426 https://doi.org/10.1053/jpnu.2001.28426
- The Effect of the Cultural Competence in Multicultural Nursing Education by Action Learning vol.15, pp.11, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.11.6527