- Volume 53 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Species Dominance of Tetranychus urticae and Panonychus ulmi (Acari: Tetranychidae) in Apple Orchards in the Southern part of Korea
남부지역 사과원내 점박이응애와 사과응애의 우점변화
- Choi, Kyung-Hee (Apple Research Station, National Institute of Horticultural & Herbal Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Lee, Dong-Hyuk (Apple Research Station, National Institute of Horticultural & Herbal Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Lee, Soon-Won (Korean Fruit Pest Forecasting Research Center) ;
- Yoon, Changmann (Apple Research Station, National Institute of Horticultural & Herbal Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Lee, Sun-Young (Apple Research Station, National Institute of Horticultural & Herbal Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Do, Yun-Su (Apple Research Station, National Institute of Horticultural & Herbal Science, Rural Development Administration)
- 최경희 (국립원예특작과학원 사과시험장) ;
- 이동혁 (국립원예특작과학원 사과시험장) ;
- 이순원 (한국과수병해충예찰센터) ;
- 윤창만 (국립원예특작과학원 사과시험장) ;
- 이선영 (국립원예특작과학원 사과시험장) ;
- 도윤수 (국립원예특작과학원 사과시험장)
- Received : 2014.06.20
- Accepted : 2014.11.06
- Published : 2014.12.01
This study investigated population fluctuations in two mite species in apple orchards over 20-year period. The occurrence of two major mite pests infesting apple trees, two-spotted spider mite Tetranychus urticae and European red mite Panonychus ulmi (Acari: Tetranychidae), was investigated from 1992 to 2011 in major apple-producing districts, including four to eight cities, in the southern part of the Republic of Korea. The 20-year trend revealed that more orchards were infested by T. urticae from 1992 to 1999, but thereafter P. ulmi became dominant. The observed mean density of P. ulmi was consistent, whereas that of T. urticae fluctuated during this period. The analysis of occurrence in four time periods reveals that the density of T. urticae decreased after 2002. The monthly sampling, revealed that the density of P. ulmi was higher in April, whereas the density of T. urticae was higher from May to August. This change may be due to a change in the frequency of pesticide spraying, ground vegetation management, a decrease in nitrogen fertilization, and the overall orchard management practices. However, this projection should be examined in more detail. On the basis of the findings of this study, it can be concluded that cultural practices, including fertilization, and environmental changes, such as pesticide spray frequency and integrated pest management practices, affect species dominance and population densities of the two mite species in apple orchards.
- Apple Research Station (ARS), 2012. Pictorial book - Apple: diseases, pests and weeds. 240 pp. Bomun Co. Publishing.
- Bentz, J.A., Reeves, J., Barbosa, P., Francis, B., 1995. Effect of nitrogen fertilizer source and level on ovipositional choice of poinsettia by Bemisia argentifolii (Homoptera: Aleyrodidae). J. Econ. Entomol. 88, 1388-1392. https://doi.org/10.1093/jee/88.5.1388
- Cheon, G.S., Paik, C.H., Kim, S.S., 2008. Selective toxicity of three acaricides to the predatory mite, Neoseiulus womersleyi and its prey, Tetranychus urticae (Acari: Phytoseiidae, Tetranychidae). Korean J. Pestic. Sci. 12(3), 249-255.
- Croft, B.A., Hoyt, S.C., 1983. Integrated management of insect pests in pome and stone fruits. 454 pp. New York, Wiley Interscience.
- Foott, W.H., 1962. Competition between two species of mites. I. Experimental results. Can. Entomol. 94, 365-375. https://doi.org/10.4039/Ent94365-4
- Foott, W.H., 1963. Competition between two species of mites. II. Experimental results. Can. Entomol. 95, 45-57. https://doi.org/10.4039/Ent9545-1
- Hyun, J.S., Lee, M.H., Boo, K.S., 1991. Review of applied entomology in Korea. Chung Pung press, Seoul.
- Jansson, J., Ekbom, B., 2002. The effect of different plant nutrient regimes on the aphid Macrosiphum euphorbiae growing on petunia. Entomol. Exp. Appl. 104, 109-116. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1570-7458.2002.00997.x
- Kim, D.S., Lee, J.H., Jeon, H.Y., Yiem, M.S., Kim, K.Y., 1995. Community structure of phytophagous arthropods and their natural enemies at different weed management systems in apple orchards. Korean J. Appl. Entomol. 34, 256-265.
- Kim, J., Lee, S.K., Kim, J.M., Kwon, Y.R., Kim, T.H., Kim, J.S., 2008. Effect of temperature on development and life table parameters of Tetranychus urticae Koch (Acari: Tetranychidae) reared on eggplants. Korean J. Appl. Entomol. 47(2), 163-168. https://doi.org/10.5656/KSAE.2008.47.2.163
- Lee, S.W., 1990. Studies on the pest status and integrated mite management in apple orchards. Ph.D. Thesis. Seoul National University, Republic of Korea.
- Lee, S.W., Shu, S.J., Kim, D.A., Choi, K.H., Lee, D.H., Ryu, O.H., 1996. Questionnaire on status and opinions of pest control to apple growers and its related groups. RDA J. Agri. Sci. 38, 545-552.
- Lee, S.W., Lee, D.H., Choi, K.H., Kim, D.A., 2007. A report on current management of major apple pests based on census data from farmers. Korean J. Hort. Sci. Technol. 25(3), 196-203.
- Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry (MAF), 2007. Production output of vegetable in 2006. 89-101 pp. Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry.
- Metcalf, R.L., Luckmann, W.H., 1994. Introduction to insect pest management. 3rd ed., 650 pp. John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York.
- Najafabadi, S.S., Shoushtari, R.V., Zamani, A., Arbabi, M., Farazmand, H., 2011. Effect of nitrogen fertilization on Tetranychus urticae Koch (Acari: Tetranychidae) population on common bean cultivars. Am-Eurasian J. Agric. Environ. Sci. 11(4), 568-576.
- Park, C.G., Yoo, J.K., Lee, J.O., 1996. Toxicity of some pesticides to twospotted spider mite (Acari: Tetreanychidae) and its predator Amblyseius womersleyi (Acari: Phytoseiidae). Korean J. Appl. Entomol. 35(3), 232-237.
- Rural Development Administration (RDA), 2000. Diagnosis and control of disease and pest on vegetables. 1st ed., 199 pp. Academy book, Korea.
- Yiem, M.S., 1993. Distribution characteristics and the effects of precipitation and wind velocity on field population density of Tetranychus urticae Koch on apple trees. RDA J. Agri. Sci. 35(1), 403-408.
- Kim, D.S., Lee, J.H., 2005. Historical change of population abundances of Panonychus ulmi and Tetranychus urticae (Acari: Tetranychidae) in selected apple orchards in Suwon and its hypothetical explanation. Korean J. Appl. Entomol. 44(2), 115-123.
- Overwintering Sites and Winter Mortality of Tetranychus urticae in an Apple Orchard in Korea 2015, https://doi.org/10.5656/KSAE.2015.09.0.053