- Volume 19 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Protective Effects of Black Rice Extracts on Oxidative Stress Induced by tert-Butyl Hydroperoxide in HepG2 Cells
- Lee, Seon-Mi (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Choi, Youngmin (Functional Food & Nutrition Division, Department of AgroFood Resources, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Sung, Jeehye (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Kim, Younghwa (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Jeong, Heon-Sang (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Lee, Junsoo (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Chungbuk National University)
- Received : 2014.07.31
- Accepted : 2014.10.31
- Published : 2014.12.31
Black rice contains many biologically active compounds. The aim of this study was to investigate the protective effects of black rice extracts (whole grain extract, WGE and rice bran extract, RBE) on tert-butyl hydroperoxide (TBHP)-induced oxidative injury in HepG2 cells. Cellular reactive oxygen species (ROS), antioxidant enzyme activities, malondialdehyde (MDA) and glutathione (GSH) concentrations were evaluated as biomarkers of cellular oxidative status. Cells pretreated with 50 and
Supported by : Rural Development Administration
- Willcox K, Ash SL, Catignani GL. 2004. Antioxidants and prevention of chronic disease. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 44: 275-295. https://doi.org/10.1080/10408690490468489
- Gate L, Paul J, Ba GN, Tew KD, Tapiero H. 1999. Oxidative stress induced in pathologies; the role of antioxidants. Biomed Pharmacother 53: 169-180. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0753-3322(99)80086-9
- Valko M, Leibfritz D, Moncol J, Cronin MT, Mazur M, Telser J. 2007. Free radicals and antioxidants in normal physiological functions and human disease. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 39: 44-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biocel.2006.07.001
- Bramley PM. 2000. Is lycopene beneficial to human health? Phytochemistry 54: 233-236. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-9422(00)00103-5
- Clifford MN. 2000. Anthocyanins-nature, occurrence and dietary burden. J Sci Food Agric 80: 1063-1072. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0010(20000515)80:7<1063::AID-JSFA605>3.0.CO;2-Q
- Ling WH, Wang LL, Ma J. 2002. Supplementation of the black rice outer layer fraction to rabbits decreases atherosclerotic plaque formation and increases antioxidant status. J Nutr 132: 20-26.
- Xia M, Ling WH, Ma J, Kitts DD, Zawistowski J. 2003. Supplementation of diets with the black rice pigment fraction attenuates atherosclerotic plaque formation in apolipoprotein E deficient mice. J Nutr 133: 744-751.
- Chiang AN, Wu HL, Yeh HI, Chu CS, Lin HC, Lee WC. 2006. Antioxidant effects of black rice extract through the induction of superoxide dismutase and catalase activities. Lipids 41: 797-803. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11745-006-5033-6
- Wang H, Joseph JA. 1999. Quantifying cellular oxidative stress by dichlorofluorescein assay using microplate reader. Free Radic Biol Med 27: 612-616. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(99)00107-0
- Buege JA, Aust SD. 1978. Microsomal lipid peroxidation. Methods Enzymol 52: 302-310. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0076-6879(78)52032-6
- Baker MA, Cerniglia GJ, Zaman A. 1990. Microtiter plate assay for the measurement of glutathione and glutathione disulfide in large numbers of biological samples. Anal Biochem 190: 360-365. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(90)90208-Q
- Habig WH, Pabst MJ, Jakoby WB. 1974. Glutathione-S-transferases: the first enzymatic step in mercapturic acid formation. J Biol Chem 249: 7130-7139.
- Aebi H. 1984. Catalase in vitro. Methods Enzymol 105: 121-126. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0076-6879(84)05016-3
- Smith IK, Vierheller TL, Thorne CA. 1988. Assay of glutathione reductase in crude tissue homogenates using 5,5'-dithiobis(2-nitrobenzoic acid). Anal Biochem 408: 408-413.
- Ukeda H, Kawana D, Maeda S, Sawamura M. 1999. Spectrophotometric assay for superoxide dismutase based on the reduction of highly water-soluble tetrazolium salts by xanthine-xanthine oxidase. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 63: 485-488. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.63.485
- Hu C, Zawistowski J, Ling W, Kitt DD. 2003. Black rice (Oryza sativa L. indica) pigmented fraction suppresses both reactive oxygen species and nitric oxide in chemical and biological model systems. J Agric Food Chem 51: 5271-5277. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf034466n
- Kong S, Lee J. 2010. Antioxidants in milling fractions of black rice cultivars. Food Chem 120: 278-281. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2009.09.089
- Lieber CS. 2000. Alcohol and the liver: metabolism of alcohol and its role in hepatic and extrahepatic diseases. Mt Sinai J Med 67: 84-94.
- Hou Z, Qin P, Ren G. 2010. Effect of anthocyanin-rich extract from black rice (Oryza sativa L. Japonica) on chronically alcohol-induced liver damage in rats. J Agric Food Chem 58: 3191-3196. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf904407x
- Alia M, Ramos S, Mateos R, Granado-Serrano AB, Bravo L, Goya L. 2006. Quercetin protects human hepatoma HepG2 against oxidative stress induced by tert-butyl hydroperoxide. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 212: 110-118. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.taap.2005.07.014
- Choi Y, Lee SM, Kim Y, Yoon J, Jeong HS, Lee J. 2010. A tocotrienol-rich fraction from grape seeds inhibits oxidative stress induced by tert-butyl hydroperoxide in HepG2 cells. J Med Food 13: 1240-1246. https://doi.org/10.1089/jmf.2009.1342
- Kim Y, Choi Y, Ham H, Jeong HS, Lee J. 2013. Protective effects of oligomeric and polymeric procyanidin fractions from defatted grape seeds on tert-butyl hydroperoxide induced oxidative damage in HepG2 cells. Food Chem 137: 136-141. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2012.10.006
- Ryu SN, Park SZ, Ho CT. 1998. High performance liquid chromatographic determination of anthocyanin pigments in some varieties of black rice. J Food Drug Anal 6: 729-736.
- Lee JH. 2010. Identification and quantification of anthocyanins from the grains of black rice (Oryza sativa L.) varieties. Food Sci Biotechnol 19: 391-397. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-010-0055-5
- Park YS, Kim SJ, Chang HI. 2008. Isolation of anthocyanin from black rice (Heugjinjubyeo) and screening of its antioxidant activities. Kor J Microbiol Biotechnol 36: 55-60.
- Black Raspberry Improved Lipid Profiles and Vascular Endothelial Function in Patients with Metabolic Syndrome: A Subgroup Analysis of Statin Naïve Participants vol.5, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12997/jla.2016.5.1.49
- Black Raspberry Extract Increased Circulating Endothelial Progenitor Cells and Improved Arterial Stiffness in Patients with Metabolic Syndrome: A Randomized Controlled Trial vol.19, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1089/jmf.2015.3563
- Germinated waxy black rice extract inhibits lipid accumulation with regulation of multiple gene expression in 3T3-L1 adipocytes vol.25, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-016-0137-0
- The Healthy Effects of Strawberry Polyphenols: Which Strategy behind Antioxidant Capacity? vol.56, pp.sup1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1080/10408398.2015.1051919
- The effects of strawberry bioactive compounds on human health pp.1156, 2017, https://doi.org/10.17660/ActaHortic.2017.1156.54
- Hypotheses on the Potential of Rice Bran Intake to Prevent Gastrointestinal Cancer through the Modulation of Oxidative Stress vol.18, pp.7, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms18071352
- S-Allyl Cysteine Alleviates Hydrogen Peroxide Induced Oxidative Injury and Apoptosis through Upregulation of Akt/Nrf-2/HO-1 Signaling Pathway in HepG2 Cells vol.2018, pp.2314-6141, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/3169431