- Volume 19 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Headspace Volatile Compounds of Steamed Liriopis Tuber Tea Affected by Steaming Frequency
- Park, Jin-Yong (Department of Food Science and Technology, Graduate School, Pukyong National University) ;
- Park, So-Hae (Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Pusan National University) ;
- Lee, Heeseob (Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Pusan National University) ;
- Lee, Yang-Bong (Department of Food Science and Technology, Graduate School, Pukyong National University)
- Received : 2014.07.07
- Accepted : 2014.11.04
- Published : 2014.12.31
Flavor quality of Liriopis tuber tea that was made using a steaming process was studied by measuring changes in headspace volatile compounds. Headspace volatile compounds of the prepared samples were isolated, separated and identified by the combined system of purge & trap, automatic thermal desorber, gas chromatography, and mass selective detector. As steaming frequencies were increased, the area percent of aldehydes decreased from 32.01% to 3.39% at 1 and 9 steaming frequency times, respectively. However, furans and ketones increased from 18.67% to 33.86% and from 9.60% to 17.40% at 1 and 9 times, respectively. The savory flavor of Liriopis tuber tea was due to a decrease in aldehydes contributing a fresh flavor at the 1st steaming process and newly generated furans from nonenzymatic browning with repeated steaming frequencies. These results will provide basic information for quality control of the newly developed Liriopis tuber tea.
Supported by : Pukyong National University
- Bae KM, Park SH, Jung KH, Kim MJ, Hong SH, Song YO, Lee HS. 2010. Effects of roasting conditions on physicochemical properties and sensory properties of Liriopis tuber. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 39: 1503-1508. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.10.1503
- Kim JE, Hwang IS, Goo JS, Nam SH, Choi SI, Lee HR, Lee YJ, Kim YH, Park SJ, Kim NS, Choi HY, Hwang DY. 2012. LP9M80-H isolated from Liriope platyphylla could help alleviate diabetic symptoms via the regulation of glucose and lipid concentration. J Life Sci 22: 634-641. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2012.22.5.634
- Song CH, Seo YC, Choi WY, Lee CG, Kim DU, Chung JY, Chung HC, Park DS, Ma CJ, Lee HY. 2012. Enhancement of antioxidative activity of Codonopsis lanceolata by stepwise steaming process. Korean J Medicinal Crop Sci 20: 238-244. https://doi.org/10.7783/KJMCS.2012.20.4.238
- Hong HD, Kim YC, Rho JH, Kim KT, Lee YC. 2007. Changes on physicochemical properties of Panax ginseng C. A. Meyer during repeated steaming process. J Ginseng Res 31: 222-229. https://doi.org/10.5142/JGR.2007.31.4.222
- Lee JS. 2010. Effect of repeated heat-process on content of arginyl-fructose (AF), arginyl-fructosyl-glucose (AFG) and bioactivities of Korean red ginseng extract. MS Thesis. Hannam University, Daejeon, Korea.
- Ma JY, Ha CS, Sung HJ, Zee OP. 2000. Hemopoietic effects of Rhizoma Rehmanniae preparata on cyclophosphamide-induced pernicious anemia in rats. Korean J Pharmacogn 31: 325-334.
- Lee SI. 2011. Analysis of volatile flavor components in fresh and roasted green tea. MS Thesis. Chosun University, Gwangju, Korea.
- Park SH. 2013. Studies on bioactive compounds and biological activities of steamed Liriope platyphylla and its application on beverage products. PhD Dissertation. Pusan National University, Busan, Korea.
- Kim SD, Ku YS, Lee IZ, Kim ID, Youn KS. 2001. General components and sensory evaluation of hot water extract from Liriopis tuber. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 30: 20-24.
- Choi SH. 2007. Volatile flavor components of buckwheat-green tea. J Life Sci 17: 1111-1114. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2007.17.8.1111
- Jeon JY, Choi SH. 2011. Aroma characteristics of dried citrus fruits-blended green tea. J Life Sci 21: 739-745. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2011.21.5.739
- Choi SH. 2001. Volatile aroma components of Korean semifermented teas. Korean J Food Sci Technol 33: 529-533.
- Jeon JY, Choi SH. 2010. Volatile flavor components in a mixed tea of Pueraria radix and green tea. J Life Sci 20: 350-355. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2010.20.3.350
- Jeon JY. 2011. Volatile flavor compounds of green tea by the addition of Puerariae radix, adlay, naked barley and Cynanchi radix. MS Thesis. Dong-Eui University, Busan, Korea.
- Lee JS, Joo DS, Kim H, Jang SM, Choi HG, Cho SY, Cha YJ, Lee EH. 1997. Flavor compounds in commercial Toha-jeot. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 26: 222-228.
- Jeon SY, Jeong EJ, Baek JH, Cha YJ. 2011. Comparison of volatile flavor compounds in commercial black onion extracts. J Life Sci 21: 1740-1745. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2011.21.12.1740
- Makkhen K. 2012. Development of seafood flavor using glucosamine and other precursors and its application to teriyaki sauce. MS Thesis. Pukyong National University, Busan, Korea.
- Acree T, Arn H. 2004. Kovats RI. http://www.flavornet.org/flavornet.html (accessed May 2014).