- Volume 19 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Antioxidant and ACE Inhibitory Activity of Cultivated and Wild Angelica gigas Nakai Extracts Prepared Using Different Extraction Conditions
- Noh, Bo-Young (Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Lee, Hye-Jin (Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Do, Jeong-Ryong (Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Hyun-Ku (Korea Food Research Institute)
- Received : 2014.09.11
- Accepted : 2014.10.10
- Published : 2014.12.31
The purpose of this study was to investigate the biological activities of cultivated Angelica gigas Nakai (CAG) and wild Angelica gigas Nakai (WAG) extracts prepared by extraction with water, 30% ethanol, 60% ethanol, or 90% ethanol. The electron donating ability of the WAG extracts was higher than that of the CAG extracts and 0.1% and 1.0% solutions of the comparative substance, L-ascorbic acid. The superoxide dismutase-like activity of the CAG extracts was higher than that of WAG extracts. Superoxide dismutase-like activity was highest (33.95%) in the CAG water extract. The total polyphenol content was highest in the 60% ethanol extracts of WAG. The nitrite scavenging ability of the CAG and WAG extracts was highest at a pH of 1.2. The tyrosinase inhibitory effect was highest (43.72%) in the water extract of WAG. The angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitory activity was highest (83.84%) in the 60% ethanol extract of WAG. The results of the present study will be useful for understanding the antioxidant and angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitory activities of Angelica gigas Nakai extracts.
- Hwang JB, Yang MO. 1997. Comparison of chemical components of Angelica gigas Nakai and Angelica acutiloba Kitagawa. Korean J Food Sci Technol 29: 1113-1118.
- Lee SY, Shin SR, Kim KS, Kwon JH. 2000. Establishment of extraction conditions for effective components from Angelica gigas Nakai using microwave-assisted process. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 29: 442-447.
- Kim KM, Jung JY, Hwang SW, Kim MJ, Kang JS. 2009. Isolation and purification of decursin and decursinol angelate in Angelica gigas Nakai. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 38: 653-656. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.5.653
- Kang SA, Jang KH, Lee JE, Ahn DK, Park SK. 2003. Differences of hematopoietic effects of Angelica gigas, A. sinensis, and A. acutiloba extract on cyclophamide-induced anemic rats. Korean J Food Sci Technol 35: 1204-1208.
- Han EJ, Roh SB, Bae SJ. 2000. Effects of quinine reductase induction and cytotoxicity of the Angelica radix extracts. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 29: 147-152.
- Kim JH, Kim CH, Kim HS, Kwon MC, Song YK, Seong NS, Lee SE, Yi JS, Kwon OW, Lee HY. 2006. Effect of aqueous extracts from Rubus coreanus Miquel and Angelica gigas Nakai on anti-tumor and anti-stress activities in mice. Korean J Medicinal Crop Sci 14: 206-211.
- Kang YG, Lee JH, Chae HJ, Kim DH, Lee SH, Park SY. 2003. HPLC analysis and extraction methods of decursin and decursinol angelate in Angelica gigas roots. Kor J Pharmacogn 34: 201-205.
- Kang SA, OH MS, Kim DR, Kang JU, Kim WN, Chang MS, Park SK. 2006. Compositions of Astragali Radix and Angelicae Radix by DPPH radical scavenging activity. Kor J Herbology 21: 17-24.
- Ahn JC, Moon JY, Lim JK. 1996. Antioxidant effects of A.G.R. (Angelicae gigantis Radix) Aqua-acupuncture solution in vitro. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society 13: 254-262.
- Kim HS, Joung SW. 2006. Effective components and nitrite scavenging ability of root and leaves a Angelica gigas Nakai. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 22: 957-965.
- Shin GM, Kim DY. 2008. Quality characteristics of white pan bread by Angelica gigas Nakai powder. Korean J Food Preserv 15: 497-504.
- Shin YJ, Lee JA, Park GS. 2008. Quality characteristics of fish paste containing angelicae gigantis radix power. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 24: 699-705.
- Park CS, Kim ML. 2006. Functional properties of Angelica gigas Nakai leave (AGL) extracts and quality characteristics of mumalangi kimchi added AGL. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 23: 728-735.
- Blois MS. 1958. Antioxidant determinations by the use of a stable free radical. Nature 181: 1199-1200. https://doi.org/10.1038/1811199a0
- Marklund S, Marklund G. 1975. Involvement of the superoxide anion radical in the autoxidation of pyrogallol and a convenient assay for superoxide dismutase. Eur J Biochem 47: 468-474.
- Folin O, Denis W. 1912. On phosphotungstic-phosphomolybdic compounds as color reagents. J Biol Chem 12: 239-249.
- Wong TC, Luh BS, Whitaker JR. 1971. Isolation and characterization of polyphenol oxidase isozymes of clingstone peach. Plant Physiol 48: 19-23. https://doi.org/10.1104/pp.48.1.19
- Gray JI, Dugan LR Jr. 1975. Inhibition of N-nitrosamine formation in model food system. J Food Sci 40: 981-984. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1975.tb02248.x
- Cushman DW, Chung HS. 1971. Spectrophotometric assay and properties of the angiotensin-converting enzyme of rabbit lung. Biochem Pharmacol 20: 1637-1648. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-2952(71)90292-9
- Chang SK, Kim JH, Oh HS. 2008. The development of functional cold buckwheat noodles using biological activities of hot water extracts of Ligularia fischeri and Angelica gigas Nakai. Korean J Food Culture 23: 479-488.
- Lee JH, Choi HS, Chung MS, Lee MS. 2002. Volatile flavor components and free radical scavenging activity of Cnidium officinale. Korean J Food Sci Technol 34: 330-338.
- Jeong SJ, Lee JH, Song HN, Seong NS, Lee SE, Baeg NI. 2004. Screening for antioxidant activity of plant medicinal extracts. J Korean Soc Appl Biol Chem 47: 135-140.
- Song HS, Kim DP, Jung YH, Lee MK. 2007. Antioxidant activities of red hamcho (Salicornia herbacea L.) against lipid peroxidation and the formation of radicals. Korean J Food & Nutr 20: 150-157.
- Kim EY, Baik IH, Kim JY, Kim SR, Rhyu MR. 2004. Screening of the antioxidant activity of some medicinal plants. Korean J Food Sci Technol 36: 333-338.
- Lee SE, Kim YS, Kim JE, Bang JK, Seong NS. 2004. Antioxidant activity of Ulmus davidiana var. japonica N. and Hemipteleae davidii P. Korean J Medicinal Crop Sci 12: 321-327.
- Lee YS, Choi BD, Joo EY, Shin SR, Kim MW. 2009. Antioxidative activities of tyrosinase inhibition ability in various extracts of the Vitex rotundifolia seeds. Korean J Food Preserv 16: 101-108.
- Joo EY, Kim NW. 2008. Polyphenol contents and antioxidant activity of extracts from Angelica dahurica root after different conditions of microwave-assisted extraction. Korean J Food Preserv 15: 133-138.
- Cho YJ, Kim JH, Yoon SJ, Chun SS, Choi UK. 2005. Studies on the biological activity of Rosmarinus officinalis L. Korean J Food Sci Technol 37: 970-975.
- Sa JH, Jin YS, Shin IC, Shim TH, Wang MH. 2004. Photoprotective effect and antioxidative activity from different organs of Morus bombycis Koidzumi. Kor J Pharmacogn 35: 207-214.
- Kim HK, Han HS, Lee GD, Kim KH. 2005. Physiological activities of fresh Pleurotus eryngii extracts. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 34: 439-445. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2005.34.4.439
- Kim JY, Yi YS, Lim YH. 2009. Biological and antifungal activity of herbal plant extracts against Candida species. Kor J Microbiol Biotechnol 37: 42-48.
- Kroyer F, Hegedus N. 2001. Evaluation of bioactive properties of pollen extracts as functional dietary food supplement. Innovative Food Sci Emerging Technol 2: 171-174. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1466-8564(01)00039-X
- Jung SW, Lee NK, Kim SJ, Han DS. 1995. Screening of tyrosinase inhibitor from plants. Korean J Food Sci Technol 27: 891-896.
- Seo SJ, Kim NW. 2010. Physiological activities of leaf and root extracts from Liriope platyphylla. Korean J Food Preserv 17: 123-130.
- Jung GT, Ju IO, Chio DG, Jeong JS, Ryu J, Ko BR, Choi JS, Choi YG. 2005. Chemical characteristics and physiological activities of plums (oishiwase and formosa). Korean J Food Sci Technol 37: 816-821.
- Kim TH. 2008. Antioxidative and biological activities of Santalum album extracts by extracting methods. Korean J Food Preserv 15: 456-460.
- Park CS. 2005. Antioxidative and nitrite scavenging abilities of medicinal plant extracts. Korean J Food Preserv 12: 631-636.
- Ye EJ, Kim SJ, Nam HS, Park EM, Bae MJ. 2010. Physiological evaluation of Korean mountain ginseng and Korean mountain ginseng leaf tea. Korean J Food Culture 25: 350-356.
- Park YS, Jang HG. 2003. Lactic acid fermentation and biological activities of Rubus coreanus. J Korean Soc Agric Chem Biotechnol 46: 367-375.
- Lee YS. 2007. Antioxidative and physiological activity of extracts of Angelica dahurica leaves. Korean J Food Preserv 14: 78-86.
- Lee KH, Kwon HJ, Chun SS, Kim JH, Cho YJ, Cha WS. 2006. Biological activities of extracts from Phellinus linteus. J Korean Soc Appl Biol Chem 49: 298-303.
- Do JR, Kim KJ, Jo JH, Kim YM, Kim BS, Kim HK, Lim SD, Lee SW. 2005. Antimicrobial, antihypertensive and anticancer activities of medicinal herbs. Korean J Food Sci Technol 37: 206-213.
- Kang YH, Park YK, Oh SR, Moon KD. 1995. Studies on the physiological functionality of pine needle and mugwort extracts. Korean J Food Sci Technol 27: 978-984.
- Song JH, Lee HS, Hwang JK, Chung TY, Hong SR, Park KM. 2003. Physiological activities of Phellinusribis extracts. Korean J Food Sci Technol 35: 690-695.
- Immune Cells Activity, Nitrite Scanvenging and ABTS Radical Scavenging Activities of Codonopsis lanceolata Ethanol Extracts from Districts in Korea vol.29, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7732/kjpr.2016.29.3.289
- Influence of extraction conditions on antioxidant activities and catechin content from bark of Ulmus pumila L. vol.59, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13765-016-0165-8