- Volume 15 Issue 21
Background: Cancer affects patients in many ways including physical, social, emotional, psychological and economic and restricts the functional lives. Psychiatric problems seen among cancer patients may increase the suicide probability and patients perceive suicide as a peaceful death type. The aim of this study was to examine the correlation between functional life and suicide probability among cancer patients. Materials and Methods: This study was conducted with 105 cancer patients as descriptive. The Functional Living Index_Cancer (FLIC)," suicide probability scale" (SPS) and personal information form were used as data collecting tools. Data were evaluated by descriptive analysis, and Pearson's correlation. Results: It was determined that 34.3% of patients thought of suicide. Significant negative correlation was found between functional life and suicide probability (r=-.641, p=0.000), increase being evident in those with poor functional life. Conclusions: It is recommended that cancer patients should be supported for improving their functional lives with help in coping processes for illness and treatment symptoms. Evaluation of the patient mental status to prevent the suicide among this group is an important role for nurses.
Cancer;functional life;suicide;psychiatric nursing
- Atli Z, Eskin M, Dereboy C (2009). The validity and the reliability of suicide probability scale (SPS) in clinical sample. Klinik Psikiyatri, 12, 111-24.
- Aydin O, Deveci A, Danaci EA (2012). Does cancer diagnosis cause sucide? How can risk perception and reduction be done? Uroonkoloji Bulteni, 11, 311-5.
- Bektas- Aydin H, Akdemir N (2006). Reliability and validity of the "Functional Living Index-Cancer (FLIC)" in cancer patients. Turkiye Klinikleri J med Sci, 26, 488-99.
- Carlsson S, Sandin F, Fall K et al (2013). Risk of suicide in men with low-risk prostate cancer. Eur J Cancer, 49, 1588-99. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2012.12.018
- Cull JG, Gill WS (1990). Suicide probability scale (SPS) manual. Los Angeles:Western psychological services.
- Akgun Sahin Z, Tan M, Polat H (2013). Hopelessness, depression and social support with end of life Turkish cancer patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2823-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.5.2823
- Anguiano L, Mayer DK, Piven ML, Rosenstein D (2012). A literature review of suicide in cancer patients. Cancer Nurs, 35, 14-26. https://doi.org/10.1097/NCC.0b013e31822fc76c
- De la Grandmaison GJ, Watier L, Cavard S, Charlier P (2014). Are suicide rates higher in the cancer population? An investigation using forensic autopsy data. Medical Hypothesis, 82,16-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mehy.2013.10.025
- Dedeli O, Fadiloglu C, Uslu R (2008). A survey of functional living and social support in patients with cancer. Turk Onkoloji Dergisi, 23, 132-9.
- Demirel-Ozsoy S, Esel E (2003). Suicide. Anatolian J Psychiatry, 4, 175-85.
- Elbi H (2001). Cancer and depression. Psikiyatri Dunyasi, 5, 5-10.
- Elbi-Mete H, Onen O (2001). Depression in patients with cancer. Duygudurum Dizisi, 4, 184-91.
- Farooqui M, Hassali MA, Knight A, et al (2013). Cross sectional assessment of health related quality of life (HRQoL) among patients with cancer in Malaysia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3017-21. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.5.3017
- Gulec G, Buyukkinaci A (2011). Cancer and psychiatric disorders. Psikiyatride Guncel Yaklasimlar, 3, 343-67.
- Karadibak D, Ozdirenc M (2002). The effect of chronic cancer pain on functional capacity. Fizyoterapi Rehabilitasyon, 13, 113-6.
- Kutlu R, Civi S, Demir A, Boruban MC (2011). Depression and the factors affecting the quality of life in cancer patients. Selcuk Universitesi Tip Dergisi, 27, 149-53.
- Lee SJ, Park JH, Park BY, et al (2014). Depression and suicide ideas of cancer patients and influencing factors in South Korea. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 2945-50. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.7.2945
- Leung YW, Li M, Devins G, et al (2013). Routine screening for suicidal intention in patients with cancer. Psychooncology, 22, 2537-45. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.3319
- Mahdi H, Swensen RE, Munkarah AR, et al (2011). Suicide in women with gynecologic cancer. Gynecol Oncol, 122, 344-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2011.04.015
- Maneeton B, Maneeton N, Mahathep P (2012). Prevelance of depression and its correlations: a cross-sectional study in Thai cancer patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 2039-43. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.2039
- Misono S, Weiss NS, Fann JR, Redman M, Yueh B (2008). Incidence of suicide in persons with cancer. J Clin Oncol, 26, 4731-8. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2007.13.8941
- Nasseri K, Mills PK, Mirshahidi HR, Moulton LH (2012). Suicide in cancer patients in California, 1997-2006. Arch Suicide Res, 16, 324-33. https://doi.org/10.1080/13811118.2013.722056
- Schipper H, Clinch J, McMurray A, Levitt M (1984). Measuring the quality of life of cancer patients: the functional living index-cancer: development and validation. J Clin Oncol, 2, 472-83.
- Smailyte G, Jasilionis D, Kaceniene A, et al (2013). Suicides among cancer patients in Lithuania: A population-based census-linked study. Cancer Epidemiol, 37, 714-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canep.2013.05.009
- Tokgoz G, Yalug I, Ozdemir S, et al (2008). The prevalence of posttraumatic stress disorder and posttraumatic growth in patients with cancer. New Symposium J, 46, 51-61.
- Assessing Activity Limitation Among Cancer Survivors in Korea Using Data from a Nationwide Survey vol.16, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.7.2739
- Suicidal ideation, depression, and health-related quality of life in patients with benign and malignant brain tumors: a prospective observational study in 83 patients vol.158, pp.9, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00701-016-2844-y
- What is the Incidence of Suicide in Patients with Bone and Soft Tissue Cancer? vol.475, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11999-016-5171-y
- The evaluation of psychiatric comorbidity, self-injurious behavior, suicide probability, and other associated psychiatric factors (lonileness, self-esteem, life satisfaction) in adolescents with acne: A clinical pilot study pp.14732130, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/jocd.12708