- Volume 15 Issue 21
DOI QR Code
Improving Accuracy and Completeness in the Collaborative Staging System for Stomach Cancer in South Korea
- Lim, Hyun-Sook (Department of Public Health Administration, Hanyang Women's University) ;
- Won, Young-Joo (Cancer Registration and Statistics Branch, National Cancer Center) ;
- Boo, Yoo-Kyung (Department of Healthcare Administration, College of Health Industry, Eulji University)
- Published : 2014.11.28
Background: Cancer staging enables planning for the best treatments, evaluation of prognosis, and predictions for survival. The Collaborative Stage (CS) system makes it possible to significantly reduce the proportion of patients labeled at an "unknown" stage as well as discrepancies among different staging systems. This study aims to analyze the factors that influence the accuracy and validity of CS data. Materials and Methods: Data were randomly selected (233 cases) from stomach cancer cases enrolled for CS survey at the Korea Central Cancer Registry. Two questionnaires were used to assess CS values for each case and to review the cancer registration environment for each hospital. Data were analyzed in terms of the relationships between the time spent for acquisition and registration of CS information, environments relating to cancer registration in the hospitals, and document sources of CS information for each item. Results: The time for extracting and registering data was found to be shorter when the hospitals had prior experience gained from participating in a CS pilot study and when they were equipped with full-time cancer registrars. Evaluation of the CS information according to medical record sources found that the percentage of items missing for Site Specific Factor (SSF) was 30% higher than for other CS variables. Errors in CS coding were found in variables such as "CS Extension," "CS Lymph Nodes," "CS Metastasis at Diagnosis," and "SSF25 Involvement of Cardia and Distance from Esophagogastric Junction (EGJ)." Conclusions: To build CS system data that are reliable for cancer registration and clinical research, the following components are required: 1) training programs for medical records administrators; 2) supporting materials to promote active participation; and 3) format development to improve registration validity.
Supported by : Ministry for Health and Welfare
- American Joint Committee on Cancer (AJCC), (2010). Cancer Staging Handbook: From the AJCC Cancer Staging Manual, 7th ed. Chicago; Springer.
- Cho KH, Park SH, Lee KS, Lee KS et al. (2013) A Single Measure of Cancer Burden in Korea from 1999 to 2010. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 5249-55. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.9.5249
- Collaborative Staging Task Force of the American Joint Committee on Cancer. (2006) Collaborative Staging Manual and Coding Instructions, version 01.04.00: Jointly published by American Joint Committee on Cancer (Chicago. IL) and US Department of Health and Human Services (Bethesda, MD), 2004. NIH Publication Number 04-5496. Incorporates updates 2006.
- Collaborative Staging Task Force. (2012) Collaborative Stage Data Collection System, Collaborative Staging. Accessed at: http://www.Cancerstaging.org/cstage/cstageintro.html.
- Jung KW, Won YJ, Kong HJ, Oh CM, Lee DH, Lee JS et al. (2014) Cancer Statistics in Korea: Incidence, Mortality, Survival, and Prevalence in 2011. Cancer Res Treat, 46, 109-23. https://doi.org/10.4143/crt.2014.46.2.109
- Liang W, Burnett CB, Rowland JH, Meropol NJ, Eggert L, et al. (2002) Communication between physicians and older women with localized breast cancer: implications for treatment and patient satisfaction. J Clin Oncol, 20, 1008-16. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.20.4.1008
- Moore MA, (2013). Overview of cancer registration research in the Asian Pacific from 2008-2013. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4461-84. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4461
- Seo HJ, Oh IH, Yoon SJ. (2013) A comparison of the Cancer Incidence Rates between the National Cancer Registry and Insurance Claims Data in Korea. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 6163-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.12.6163
- Shambaugh EM, Weiss MA, Axtell LM, Ryan RF, Platz CE, eds. (2012) Summary Staging Guide-1977: National Cancer Institute, NIH, Bethesda, MD. Accessed at: http://seer.cancer.gov/manuals/historic/ssm_1977.pdf.
- Shin HR, Won YJ, Jung KW, et al. (2005). Nationwide cancer incidence in Korea, 1999-2001; first result using the National Cancer Incidence Database. Cancer Res Treat, 37, 325-31. https://doi.org/10.4143/crt.2005.37.6.325
- Statistics Korea. Daejeon: Cause of Death; 2013. Accessed at: http://kostat.go.kr.
- Young JL Jr. Roffers SD, Ries LAG, Fritz AG, Hurlbut AA, eds. (2012) SEER Summary Staging Manual-2000: Codes and Coding Instructions, National Cancer Institute, NIH Pub. No. 01-4969, Bethesda, MD, 2001.Accessed at: http://seer.cancer.gov/tools/ssm/.