- Volume 15 Issue 21
DOI QR Code
Common Cancers in Khuzestan Province, South West of Iran, during 2005-2011
- Karami, Kh (Social Determinant of Heath Research Center, Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences (AJUMS) Ahvaz) ;
- Cheraghi, M. (Social Determinant of Heath Research Center, Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences (AJUMS) Ahvaz) ;
- Amori, N. (Abadan School of Medical Science) ;
- Pedram, M. (Thalassemia Research Center, Shafa hospital, AJUMS Ahvaz) ;
- Sobhani, A. (Department of Public Health, Heath School, AJUMS, Ahvaz)
- Published : 2014.11.28
Cancer is the third highest cause of premature mortality in Iran. We aimed to determine trend of common cancers in Khuzestan province, Iran. Methods: It was a hospital based survey on 4065 subjects from their hospital files, those had registered as cancer case in Shafa hospital which has known as a biggest center of cancer in khuzestan province, Iran during 2005-2011.All data has entered by SPSS (version 19), descriptive statistic and adjusted odds ratio of common cancers for age and sex were calculated from multiple logistic regression model. Results: From all subjects; (51% & 49%) were male and female respectively. The most frequent age group was 60-50 years and common cancers were breast 16%, colorectal 6.3%, blood 2%, lung 8% and stomach 8%. Conclusion: Prevalence of cancers has increased markedly with age in Khuzestan Providence. Therefore, it is essential to prevent through early prevention, using screening and identifying cases in initial stages.
Supported by : Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences
- Ahmed K, Abdullah-Al-Emran, Jesmin T, et al (2013). Early detection of lung cancer risk using data mining. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 595-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.1.595
- Akbari M, Abachizadeh K, Khayamzadeh M, er al,(2008). Iran cancer report. Tehran: cancer research center. shahid beheshti university of medical sciences.
- Akhavan A, Binesh F, Soltani S (2014). Survival of rectal cancer in Yazd, Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1477-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1477
- Anaya-Ruiz M, Vallejo-Ruiz V, Flores-Mendoza L, Perez-Santos M (2014). Female breast cancer incidence and mortality in Mexico, 2000-2010. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 4857-60. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.12.4857
- Azadeh S, Moghimi-Dehkordi B, Fatemi SR, et al (2008). Colorectal cancer in Iran: an epidemiological study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 9, 123-6.
- Bertuccio P, Chatenoud L, Levi F, et al (2009). Recent patterns in gastric cancer: A global overview. Int J Cancer. 125, 666-73. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.24290
- Balducci L, Aapro M (2005). Epidemiology of cancer and aging. Biological Basis of Geriatric Oncology: Springer, 1-15.
- Bhawna G (2013). Burden of smoked and smokeless tobacco consumption in India-Results from the Global adult Tobacco Survey India (GATS-India)- 2009-201. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3323-9 https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.5.3323
- Colditz GA, Sellers TA, Trapido E (2005). Epidemiology-identifying the causes and preventability of cancer? Nature Reviews Cancer, 6, 75-83. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrg1505
- Hajiani Eskandar SSMH, Rahim M, Jalal H, Mehrdad A, Rajabi T (2006). Clinical profile of gastric cancer in Khuzestan, southwest of Iran. World J Gastroenterol, 12, 4832-5.
- Ilic M, Vlajinac H, Marinkovic J (2013). Cigarette Smoking and Breast Cancer: a Case-control Study in Serbia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6643-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6643
- Jemal A, Center MM, DeSantis C (2010), Ward EM. Global patterns of cancer incidence and mortality rates and trends. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 19, 1893-907. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-10-0437
- Jie Liu, Xu-Li Yang, Ai Li1 et al,(2014). Epidemiological patterns of cancer incidence in southern China: Based on 6 population-based cancer registries. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1471-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1471
- Keramatinia A, Mousavi-Jarrahi SH, Hiteh M, Mosavi-Jarrahi A (2014). Trends in incidence of breast cancer among women under 40 in Asia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1387-90. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1387
- Malekzadeh R, Derakhshan MH, Malekzadeh Z (2009). Gastric cancer in Iran: epidemiology and risk factors. Arch Iran Med, 12, 576-83.
- Mehrabani D, Tabei S, Heydari ST et al (2008). Cancer occurrence in Fars province, Southern Iran. Iranian Red Crescent Medical Journal, 10, 314-22.
- Muhammad Luqman M, Javed MM, Daud SH et al (2014). Risk Factors for Lung Cancer in the Pakistani Population. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 3035-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.7.3035
- Parkin DM, Bray F, Ferlay J, Pisani P(2005). Global cancer statistics, Cancer J Clin, 55, 74-108. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.55.2.74
- Popkin BM (2006). Global nutrition dynamics: the world is shifting rapidly toward a diet linked with noncommunicable diseases. Am J Clin Nutr, 84, 289-98.
- Sadjadi A, Zahedi M, Nouraie M et al (2007). The first population-based cancer survey in Kerman Province of Iran. Iranian J Public Health, 36, 4.
- Saki Malehi A, (2014). Diagnostic Classification Scheme in Iranian Breast Cancer Patients using a Decision Tree. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 5593-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5593
- Siegel R, Naishadham D, Jemal A (2013). Cancer statistics, 2013. CA: A Cancer J Clin. 63, 11-30. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21166
- Slaoui M, Razine R, Ibrahimi A, et al (2014). Breast cancer in Morocco: a literature review. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1067-74. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1067
- Somi MH, Mirinezhad K, Farhang S, et al (2006). Gastrointestinal cancer occurrence in East Azarbaijan: a five year study from North Western Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 7, 309.
- Stewart MD, Parr CL, Lam TH, et al (2013). Behavioural and metabolic risk factors for mortality from colon and rectum cancer: analysis of data from the asia- pacific cohort studies collaboration, Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 1083-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.2.1083
- Wei-Jia Fang, Yi Zheng, Li-Ming Wu, et al (2012). Genome-wide analysis of aberrant DNA methylation for identification of potential biomarkers in colorectal cancer patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1917-21. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.1917
- Xing MY, Xu SZ, Shen P (2014). Effect of low-fat diet on breast cancer survival: a meta-analysis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1141-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1141
- Lack of Association between Using Aspirin and Development of Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma: A Meta-analysis vol.16, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.2.787
- UBE2Q1 in a Human Breast Carcinoma Cell Line: Overexpression and Interaction with p53 vol.16, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.9.3723
- Epidemiology and trend of common cancers in Iran (2004-2008) vol.26, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/ecc.12449
- Risk assessment of heavy metals bioaccumulation: fished shrimps from the Persian Gulf vol.36, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/15569543.2017.1312451