- Volume 15 Issue 21
DOI QR Code
Outcome of Breast Cancer Screening: A Lebanese Single Institution Experience
- Kourie, Hampig Raphael (Hematology Oncology department, Saint Joseph Hospital, Saint Joseph University) ;
- Daher, Alain (Hematology Oncology department, Saint Joseph Hospital, Saint Joseph University) ;
- Matar, Dany (Hematology Oncology department, Saint Joseph Hospital, Saint Joseph University) ;
- Antoun, Joelle (Hematology Oncology department, Saint Joseph Hospital, Saint Joseph University) ;
- Salloum, Lony (Hematology Oncology department, Saint Joseph Hospital, Saint Joseph University) ;
- Kattan, Joseph (Hematology Oncology department, Saint Joseph Hospital, Saint Joseph University)
- Published : 2014.11.28
Background: Since 2002, from October till December of each year, the Lebanese Ministry of Public Health conducts a mammogram based breast cancer screening campaign in the whole country for women over 40 years of age. These mammograms are performed free of charge in governmental hospitals or for reduced fees in private hospitals. The aim of this study is to analyze the direct impact of this campaign on cancer detection and subsequent treatment. Materials and Methods: Radiologic records of women screened with a mammogram during the campaign period from October till December 2012 at Saint Joseph Hospital, Baouchrieh, Beirut, were reviewed. Results of mammograms were reported using the ACR score. Women with ACR score
- Al-Dubai SA, Ganasegeran K, Alabsi AM, et al (2012). Exploration of barriers to breast-self examination among urban women in Shah Alam, Malaysia: a cross sectional study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1627-32. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.4.1627
- American College of Radiology (2003). Breast imaging reporting and data system atlas (BI-RADS Atlas). Reston, Va : American College of Radiology.
- Berg WA, Blume JD, Cormack JB, et al (2008). Combined screening with ultrasound and mammography vs mammography alone in women at elevated risk of breast cancer. JAMA, 299, 2151-63. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.299.18.2151
- Cancer in Lebanon (2003). Beirut, National Cancer Registry, 2006 (www.leb.emro.who.int/NCR2003.pdf, accessed 12 Sep- tember 2008).
- Adib SM, El Saghir NS, Ammar W (2009). Guidelines for breast cancer screening in Lebanon Public Health Communication. J Med Liban, 57, 72-4.
- Adib SM, Sabbah MA, Hlais S, Hanna P (2009). Research in action: mammography utilization following breast cancer awareness campaigns in Lebanon 2002-05. East Mediterr Health J, 15, 6-18.
- El Saghir NS, Shamseddine AI, Geara F et al (2002). Age distribution of breast cancer in Lebanon: increased percentages and age adjusted incidence rates of younger-aged groups at presentation. J Med Liban, 50, 3-9.
- Gucuk S, Uyeturk U (2013). Effect of direct education on breast self examination awareness and practice among women in Bolu, Turkey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 7707-11. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.12.7707
- Javitt MC, Hendrick RE, Keen JD, et al (2012). Recent data show that mammographic screening of asymptomatic women is effective and essential. Med Phys, 39, 4047-50. https://doi.org/10.1118/1.3694115
- Kayhan A, Gurdal SO, Ozaydin N et al (2014). Successful first round results of a Turkish breast cancer screening program with mammography in Bahcesehir, Istanbul. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 15,1693-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.4.1693
- Memon ZA, Shaikh AN, Rizwan S, Sardar MB (2013). Reasons for patient's delay in diagnosis of breast carcinoma in Pakistan. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 14, 7409-14. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.12.7409
- Orel SG, Kay N, Reynolds C, Sullivan DC (1999). BI-RADS categorization as a predictor of malignancy. Radiology, 211, 845-50 https://doi.org/10.1148/radiology.211.3.r99jn31845
- Pace LE, He Y, Keating NL (2013). Trends in mammography screening rates after publication of the 2009 US Preventive Services Task Force recommendations. Cancer, 119, 2518-23. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.28105
- Rosen EL, Baker JA, Soo MS: Malignant lesions initially subjected to short-term mammographic follow-up. Radiol, 223, 221-8.
- Saeed RS, Bakir YY, Ali LM (2014). Are women in Kuwait aware of breast cancer and its diagnostic procedures? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 6307-13. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6307
- US Breast Cancer Statistics 2013, http://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/understand_bc/statistics
- Yoo KB, Kwon JA, Cho E et al (2013). Is mammography for breast cancer screening cost-effective in both Western and Asian countries?: results of a systematic review. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4141-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.7.4141