- Volume 15 Issue 21
DOI QR Code
Status of Oxidative Stress and Antioxidant Levels in Smokers with Breast Cancer from Western Nepal
- Nagamma, T. (Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Manipal University) ;
- Baxi, Jalaj (Surgical Oncology, International Oncology Center Fortis hospital) ;
- Singh, P.P. (Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Dr. R.M.L. Avadh University)
- Published : 2014.11.28
Background: Research indicates that oxidative stress induced by smoking plays a role in breast cancer. In view of these reports, we aimed to study th relationship between smoking and oxidative stress in breast cancer patients from the western region of Nepal. Materials and Methods: The study included a control group of 42 females (non-smoking healthy women) and a test group sudivided into Group I consisting of 46 female breast cancer patients who were smokers and Group II consisting of 42 non-smoking breast cancer patients. Detailed history of the patients was collected with the help of pre-test proforma. Plasma levels of malondialdehyde (MDA), total antioxidant activity (TAA) which represents total dietary antioxidants, vitamin C and
- Jha JC, Maharjan BR, Adhikari D, et al (2007). Cigarette smoke induced oxidative insult in local population of Pokhara. Kathmandu Univ Med J, 5, 511-7.
- Johnson KC, Miller AB, Collishaw NE, et al (2011). Active smoking and secondhand smoke increase breast cancer risk: the report of the canadian expert panel on tobacco smoke and breast cancer risk (2009). Tob Control, 20, 2.
- Kedzierska M, Olas B, Wachowicz B, Jeziorski A, Piekarski J (2010). The lipid peroxidation in breast cancer patients. Gen Physiol Biophys, 29, 208-10.
- Li CI, Malone KE, Daling JR (2005). The relationship between various measures of cigarette smoking and risk of breast cancer among older women 65-79 years of age (United States). Cancer Causes Control, 16, 975-85. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-005-2906-6
- Luo J, Horn K, Ockene JK, et al (2011). Interaction between smoking and obesity and the risk of developing breast cancer among postmenopausal women, the women's health initiative observational study. Am J Epidemiol, 174, 919-28. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwr192
- Luo J, Margolis KL, Wactawski-Wende J, et al (2011). Association of active and passive smoking with risk of breast cancer among postmenopausal women: a prospective cohort study. BMJ, 1, 1016.
- Mahmood IH, Abdullah KS and Othman SH (2007). The total antioxidant status in cigarette individuals. MJBU, 25, 46-50.
- Mc-Cormick DB, Greene HL (1999). Vitamins. in: Burtis CA Ashwood ER. editors. Tietz textbook of clinical chemistry Singapore: Harcourt Brace and Co Asia PTE Ltd, 1023-5.
- Mehta G, Singh PP (2007). Breast cancer scenario in North-West India with special reference to oxidant antioxidant juxtaposition. Free radicals and antioxidants in health and diseases. India: Choudhary Offset Pvt.ltd. 35-41.
- Nagata C, Mizoue T, Tanaka K, et al (2006). Tobacco smoking and breast cancer risk: an evaluation based on a systematic review of epidemiological evidence among the Japanese population. Jpn J Clin Oncol, 36, 387-94. https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hyl031
- Nagamma T, Anjaneyulu K, Baxi J, Dayaram P, Singh PP (2011). Effects of cigarette smoking on lipid peroxidation and antioxidant status in cancer patients from Western Nepal. Asian pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 313-6.
- Nagamma T, Bhutia RD, Pokheral DR, Yadav S, Baxi J (2012). Influence of alcohol consumption on oxidative stress and antioxidant status in cancer patients-case-control study from Western Nepal. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3513-17. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.7.3513
- Poljak B (2011). Strateges for reducing or preventing the generation of oxidative stress. Oxid Med Cell Longev, 194586.
- Prakash P, Krinsky NI, Russell RM (2000). Retinoids, carotenoids, and human breast cancer cell cultures: a review of differential effects. Nutr Rev, 58, 170-6.
- Reynolds P, Goldberg P, Hurley S et al (2009). Passive smoking and risk of breast cancer in the California teachers study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 18, 3389-98. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-09-0936
- Ambrosone, C. B. (2000). Oxidants and antioxidants in breast cancer. Antioxid Redox Signal, 2, 903-17. https://doi.org/10.1089/ars.2000.2.4-903
- Ayaori M, Hisada T, Suzukawa M, et al (2000). Plasma levels and redox status of ascorbic acid and levels of lipid peroxidation produces in active and passive smokers. Environ Health Perspect, 108, 105-8. https://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.00108105
- Baker H, Frank O (1968). Clinical Vitaminology, Methods and Interpretation. NewYork: Interscience Publishers, 172-3.
- Band PR, Le ND, Fang R, Deschamps M (2002). Carcinogenic and endocrine disrupting effects of cigarette smoke and risk of breast cancer. Lancet, 360, 1044-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(02)11140-8
- Benzie IFF, Strain JJ (1996). The ferric reducing ability of plasma (FRAP) as a measure of "antioxidant power", the FRAP assay. Anal Biochem, 239, 70-6. https://doi.org/10.1006/abio.1996.0292
- Borek C (2004). Dietary antioxidants and human cancer. Integr Cancer Ther, 3, 333-41. https://doi.org/10.1177/1534735404270578
- Buege JA, Aust SD (1978). The thiobarbituric acid assay. Methods Enzymol, 52, 306-10.
- Caderas E, Packer C (2002). Hand book of antioxidants. USA: Marel Deck NY Publishers.
- Ching S, Ingram D, Hahnel R, et al (2001). Serum levels of micronutrients, antioxidants and total antioxidant status predict risk of breast cancer in a case control study. J Nutr, 132, 303-6.
- Gao CM, Ding JH, Li SP, et al (2013). Active and passive smoking, and alcohol drinking and breast cancer risk in Chinese women. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 993-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.2.993
- Gupta Rk, Patel Ak, Kumari R, et al (2012). Interactions between oxidative stress, lipid profile and antioxidants in breast cancer: a case control study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 6295-98. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.12.6295
- Ilic M, Vlajinac H, Marinkovic J (2013). Cigarette smoking and breast cancer: a case-control study in Serbia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6643-47. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6643
- Sener DE, Gonenc A, Akinci M, Torun M (2006). Lipid peroxidation and total antioxidant status in patients with breast cancer. Cell Biochem Funct, 25, 377-82.
- Shah FD, Patil JB, Shukla SN, Shah PM, Patel PS (2009). Evaluation of plasma non enzymatic antioxidants in breast cancer etiology. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 91-6.
- Sharhar S, Normah H, Fatimah A, et al (2008). Antioxidant intake and status, and oxidative stress in relation to breast cancer risk: a case-control study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 9, 343-9.