- Volume 15 Issue 21
DOI QR Code
Promoting Effects of Sanguinarine on Apoptotic Gene Expression in Human Neuroblastoma Cells
- Cecen, Emre (Adnan Menderes University School of Medicine, Department of Pediatric Oncology) ;
- Altun, Zekiye (Dokuz Eylul University Institute of Oncology, Department of Basic Oncology) ;
- Ercetin, Pinar (Dokuz Eylul University Institute of Oncology, Department of Basic Oncology) ;
- Aktas, Safiye (Dokuz Eylul University Institute of Oncology, Department of Basic Oncology) ;
- Olgun, Nur (Dokuz Eylul University Institute of Oncology, Department of Pediatric Oncology)
- Published : 2014.11.28
Neuroblastoma is the most common extracranial solid tumor in children. Approximately half of the affected patients are diagnosed with high-risk poor prognosis disease, and novel therapies are needed. Sanguinarine is a benzophenanthridine alkaloid which has anti-microbial, anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. The aim of this study is whether sanguinarine has in vitro apoptotic effects and which apoptotic genes might be affected in the human neuroblastoma cell lines SH-SY5Y (N-myc negative), Kelly (N-myc positive, ALK positive), and SK-N-BE(2). Cell viability was analysed with WST-1 and apoptotic cell death rates were determined using TUNEL. After RNA isolation and cDNA conversion, expression of 84 custom array genes of apoptosis was determined. Sanguinarine caused cell death in a dose dependent manner in all neuroblastoma cell lines except SK-N-BE(2) with rates of 18% in SH-SY5Y and 21% in Kelly human neuroblastoma cells. Cisplatin caused similar apoptotic cell death rates of 16% in SH-SY5Y and 23% in Kelly cells and sanguinarine-cisplatin combinations caused the same rates (18% and 20%). Sanguinarine treatment did not affect apoptototic gene expression but decreased levels of anti-apoptotic genes NOL3 and BCL2L2 in SH-SY5Y cells. Caspase and TNF related gene expression was affected by the sanguinarine-cisplatin combination in SH-SY5Y cells. The expression of regulation of apoptotic genes were increased with sanguinarine treatment in Kelly cells. From these results, we conclude that sanguinarine is a candidate agent against neuroblastoma.
- Adhami VM, Aziz MH, Mukhtar H, Ahmad N (2003). Activation of prodeath Bcl-2 family proteins and mitochondrial apoptosis pathway by sanguinarine in immortalized human HaCaT keratinocytes. Clin Cancer Res, 9, 3176-82.
- Adhami VM, Aziz MH, Reagan-Shaw SR, et al (2004). Sanguinarine causes cell cycle blockade and apoptosis of human prostate carcinoma cells via modulation of cyclin kinase inhibitor-cyclin-cyclin-dependent kinase machinery. Mol Cancer Ther, 3, 933-40.
- Ahmad N, Gupta S, Husain MM, Heiskanen KM, Mukhtar H (2000). Differential antiproliferative and apoptotic response of sanguinarine for cancer cells versus normal cells. Clin. Cancer Res, 6, 1524-8.
- Ahsan H, Reagan-Shaw S, Breur J, Ahmad N (2007). Sanguinarine induces apoptosis of human pancreatic carcinoma AsPC-1 and BxPC-3 cells via modulations in Bcl-2 family proteins. Cancer Lett, 249, 198-208. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2006.08.018
- Brodeur GM, Hogarty MD, Mosse YPMJM (2011). Neuroblastoma. In 'Principles and Practice of Pediatric oncology'. (Eds Pizzo PA and Poplack DG) pp. 886-922. (Lippincot Williams & Wilkins: Philadelphia).
- Burgeiro A, Bento AC, Gajate C, Oliveira PJ, Mollinedo F (2013). Rapid human melanoma cell death induced by sanguinarine through oxidative stress. Eur J Pharmacol, 705, 109-18. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejphar.2013.02.035
- Chan SL, Lee MC, Tan KO, et al (2003). Identification of chelerythrine as an inhibitor of BclXL function. J Biol Chem, 278, 20453-6. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.C300138200
- Chaturvedi MM, Kumar A, Darnay BG, et al (1997). Sanguinarine (pseudochelerythrine) is a potent inhibitor of NF-kappaB activation, IkappaBalpha phosphorylation, and degradation. J Biol Chem, 272, 3012934.
- Choi WY, Jin CY, Han MH, et al (2009). Sanguinarine sensitizes human gastric adenocarcinoma AGS cells to TRAIL-mediated apoptosis via down-regulation of AKT and activation of caspase-3. Anticancer Res, 29, 4457-65.
- Choi WY, Kim GY, Lee WH, Choi YH (2008). Sanguinarine, a benzophenanthridine alkaloid, induces apoptosis in MDA-MB-231 human breast carcinoma cells through a reactive oxygen species-mediated mitochondrial pathway. Chemotherapy, 54, 279-87. https://doi.org/10.1159/000149719
- Debiton E, Madelmont JC, Legault J, Barthomeuf C (2003). Sanguinarine-induced apoptosis is associated with an early and severe cellular glutathione depletion. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol, 51, 474-82.
- Ding Z, Tang SC, Weerasinghe P, et al (2002). The alkaloid sanguinarine is effective against multidrug resistance in human cervical cells via bimodal cell death. Biochem Pharmacol, 63, 1415-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-2952(02)00902-4
- Gao SL, Wang LZ, Liu HY, et al (2014). miR-200a inhibits tumor proliferation by targeting AP-2 gamma in neuroblastoma cells. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 4671-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.11.4671
- Godowski KC (1989). Antimicrobial action of sanguinarine. J Clin Dent, 1, 96-101.
- Hammerova J, Uldrijan S, Taborska E, Slaninova I (2011). Benzo(c) phenanthridine alkaloids exhibit strong antiproliferative activity in malignant melanoma cells regardless of their p53 status. J Dermatol Sci, 62, 22-35.
- Han MH, Kim GY, Yoo YH, Choi YH (2013a). Sanguinarine induces apoptosis in human colorectal cancer HCT-116 cells through ROS-mediated Egr-1 activation and mitochondrial dysfunction. Toxicol Lett, 220, 157-66. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.toxlet.2013.04.020
- Han MH, Kim SO, Kim GY, et al (2007). Induction of apoptosis by sanguinarine in C6 rat glioblastoma cells is associated with the modulation of the Bcl-2 family and activation of caspases through downregulation of extracellular signal-regulated kinase and Akt. Anticancer Drugs, 18, 913-21.
- Han MH, Park C, Jin CY, et al (2013b). Apoptosis induction of human bladder cancer cells by sanguinarine through reactive oxygen species-mediated up-regulation of early growth response gene-1. PLoS One, 8, 63425. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0063425
- Han MH, Yoo YH, Choi YH (2008). Sanguinarine-induced apoptosis in human leukemia U937 cells via Bcl-2 downregulation and caspase-3 activation. Chemotherapy, 54, 157-65. https://doi.org/10.1159/000140359
- Holy J, Lamont G, Perkins E (2006). Disruption of nucleocytoplasmic trafficking of cyclin D1 and topoisomerase II by sanguinarine. BMC Cell Biol, 7, 13. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2121-7-13
- Huh J, Liepins A, Zielonka J, et al (2006). Cyclooxygenase 2 rescues LNCaP prostate cancer cells from sanguinarine-induced apoptosis by a mechanism involving inhibition of nitric oxide synthase activity. Cancer Res, 66, 3726-36. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-05-4033
- Hussain AR, Al-Jomah NA, Siraj AK, et al (2007). Sanguinarine-dependent induction of apoptosis in primary effusion lymphoma cells. Cancer Res, 67, 3888-97. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-06-3764
- Jang BC, Park JG, Song DK, et al (2009). Sanguinarine induces apoptosis in A549 human lung cancer cells primarily via cellular glutathione depletion. Toxicol, 23, 281-87.
- Kim S, Lee TJ, Leem J, et al (2008). Sanguinarine-induced apoptosis: generation of ROS, down-regulation of Bcl-2, c-FLIP and synergy with TRAIL. J Cell Biochem, 104, 895-907. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcb.21672
- Kuftinec MM, Mueller-Joseph LJ, Kopczyk RA (1990). Sanguinaria toothpaste and oral rinse regimen clinical efficacy in short- and long-term trials. J Can Dent Assoc, 56, 31-3.
- Larsson DE, Wickstrom M, Hassan S, Oberg K, Granberg D (2010). The cytotoxic agents NSC-95397, brefeldin A, bortezomib and sanguinarine induce apoptosis in neuroendocrine tumors in vitro. Anticancer Res, 30, 149-56.
- Laster LL, Lobene RR (1990). New perspectives on Sanguinaria clinicals: individual toothpaste and oral rinse testing. J Can Dent Assoc, 56, 19-30.
- Lee JS, Jung WK, Jeong MH, Yoon TR, Kim HK (2012). Sanguinarine induces apoptosis of HT-29 human colon cancer cells via the regulation of Bax/Bcl-2 ratio and caspase-9-dependent pathway. Int J Toxicol, 31, 70-7. https://doi.org/10.1177/1091581811423845
- Malikova J, Zdarilova A, Hlobilkova A (2006a). Effects of sanguinarine and chelerythrine on the cell cycle and apoptosis. Biomed Pap Med Fac Univ Palacky Olomouc Czech Repub, 150, 5-12. https://doi.org/10.5507/bp.2006.001
- Malikova J, Zdarilova A, Hlobilkova A, Ulrichova J (2006b). The effect of chelerythrine on cell growth, apoptosis, and cell cycle in human normal and cancer cells in comparison with sanguinarine. Cell Biol Toxicol, 22, 439-53. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10565-006-0109-x
- Matkar SS, Wrischnik LA, Hellmann-Blumberg U (2008). Sanguinarine causes DNA damage and p53-independent cell death in human colon cancer cell lines. Chem Biol Interact, 172, 63-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbi.2007.12.006
- Mehdiabadi GB, Arab E, Rafsanjani KA, Ansari S, Moinzadeh AM (2013). Neuroblastoma in Iran: an experience of 32 years at a referral childrens hospital. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2739-42. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.5.2739
- Missaoui N, Khouzemi M, Landolsi H, et al (2011). Childhood cancer frequency in the center of Tunisia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 537-42.
- National Cancer Institute (2014). Surveillance, Epidemiology and End Results Database. http://seer.cancer.gov/. .
- Park H, Bergeron E, Senta H, et al (2010). Sanguinarine induces apoptosis of human osteosarcoma cells through the extrinsic and intrinsic pathways. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 399, 446-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbrc.2010.07.114
- Pica F, Balestrieri E, Serafino A, et al (2012). Antitumor effects of the benzophenanthridine alkaloid sanguinarine in a rat syngeneic model of colorectal cancer. Anticancer Drugs, 23, 32-42. https://doi.org/10.1097/CAD.0b013e32834a0c8e
- Reagan-Shaw S, Breur J, Ahmad N (2006). Enhancement of UVB radiation-mediated apoptosis by sanguinarine in HaCaT human immortalized keratinocytes. Mol Cancer Ther, 5, 418-29. https://doi.org/10.1158/1535-7163.MCT-05-0250
- Serafim TL, Matos JA, Sardao VA, et al (2008). Sanguinarine cytotoxicity on mouse melanoma K1735-M2 cells-nuclear vs. mitochondrial effects. Biochem Pharmacol, 76, 1459-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bcp.2008.07.013
- Weerasinghe P, Hallock S, Liepins A (2001a). Bax, Bcl-2, and NF-kappaB expression in sanguinarine induced bimodal cell death. Exp Mol Pathol, 71, 89-98. https://doi.org/10.1006/exmp.2001.2355
- Weerasinghe P, Hallock S, Tang SC, Liepins A (2001b). Sanguinarine induces bimodal cell death in K562 but not in high Bcl-2-expressing JM1 cells. Pathol Res Pract, 197, 717-26. https://doi.org/10.1078/0344-0338-00150
- Weerasinghe P, Hallock S, Tang SC, Liepins A (2001c). Role of Bcl-2 family proteins and caspase-3 in sanguinarine-induced bimodal cell death. Cell Biol Toxicol, 17, 371-81. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1013796432521
- Wiangnon S, Veerakul G, Nuchprayoon I, et al (2011). Childhood cancer incidence and survival 2003-2005, Thailand: study from the Thai Pediatric Oncology Group. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2215-20.
- Zhang ZG, Li G, Feng DY, et al (2014). Overexpression of NDRG2 can inhibit neuroblastoma cell proliferation through negative regulation by CYR61. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 239-44. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.1.239
- Sanguinarine inhibits pancreatic cancer stem cell characteristics by inducing oxidative stress and suppressing sonic hedgehog-Gli-Nanog pathway vol.38, pp.10, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/bgx070
- Natural Products Discovered in a High-Throughput Screen Identified as Inhibitors of RGS17 and as Cytostatic and Cytotoxic Agents for Lung and Prostate Cancer Cell Lines vol.80, pp.7, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jnatprod.7b00112
- Anticancer potential of sanguinarine for various human malignancies vol.9, pp.9, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4155/fmc-2017-0041
- Toxicological Effects of Berberine and Sanguinarine vol.5, pp.2296-889X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3389/fmolb.2018.00021
- Liquid Chromatography-Tandem Mass Spectrometry Simultaneous Determination and Pharmacokinetic Study of Fourteen Alkaloid Components in Dog Plasma after Oral Administration of Corydalis bungeana Turcz Extract vol.23, pp.8, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules23081927