- Volume 15 Issue 21
DOI QR Code
Health Locus of Control in Indonesian Women with Breast Cancer: a Comparison with Healthy Women
- Iskandarsyah, Aulia (Department of Psychiatry, Section Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy, Erasmus MC University Medical Center) ;
- de Klerk, Cora (Department of Psychiatry, Section Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy, Erasmus MC University Medical Center) ;
- Suardi, Dradjat R. (Department of Surgical Oncology, Hasan Sadikin Hospital) ;
- Sadarjoen, Sawitri S. (Department of Clinical Psychology, Padjadjaran University) ;
- Passchier, Jan (Department of Psychiatry, Section Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy, Erasmus MC University Medical Center)
- Published : 2014.11.28
The aims of this study were to assess whether Indonesian women with breast cancer havea higher external health locus of control (HLC) than healthy women, and to explore the association between HLC and symptoms of anxiety and depression. In this study, 120 consecutive women with breast cancer were recruited at the outpatient surgical oncology clinic at the Hasan Sadikin Hospital in Bandung. One hundred and twenty two healthy women were recruited from the Bandung area as controls. A standard demographic form, Form C of the Multidimensional Health Locus of Control, as well as the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale and patients' medical records were used. Data were analyzed using descriptive statistics, t-test, Pearson's correlation, MANOVA and multiple linear regressions. Women with breast cancer had higher scores on all external HLC subscales, i.e. chance, doctor, powerful others and God, and lower internal HLC compared to healthy women. High God LHC scores were associated with a high level of anxiety (
- Abu-Helalah M, Al-Hanaqta M, Alshraideh H, et al (2014). Quality of life and psychological well-being of breast cancer survivors in Jordan. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 5927-36. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5927
- Arraras J. I, Wright S. J, Jusue G, et al (2002). Coping style, locus of control, psychological distress and pain-related behaviours in cancer and other diseases. Psychol Health Med, 7, 181-7. https://doi.org/10.1080/13548500120116139
- Bettencourt BA, Talley AE, Molix L, et al (2008). Rural and urban breast cancer patients: health locus of control and psychological adjustment. Psychooncology, 17, 932-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.1315
- Bourjolly JN (1999). Locus of control among black and white women with breast cancer : a preliminary study. J Psychosoc Oncol, 17, 21-31. https://doi.org/10.1300/J077v17n01_02
- Bremer BA, Moore CT, Bourbon BM, et al (1997). Perceptions of control, physical exercise, and psychological adjustment to breast cancer in South African women. Ann Behav Med, 19, 51-60. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02883427
- Burish TG, Carey MP, Wallston KA, et al (1984). Health locus of control and chronic disease: An external orientation may be advantageous. J Social Clin Psychol, 2, 326-32. https://doi.org/10.1521/jscp.19126.96.36.1996
- Cvengros JA, Christensen AJ, Lawton WJ (2005). Health locus of control and depression in chronic kidney disease: a dynamic perspective. J Health Psychol, 10, 677-86. https://doi.org/10.1177/1359105305055320
- Dastan NB, Buzlu S (2011). Depression and anxiety levels in early stage Turkish breast cancer patients and related factors. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 137-41.
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, et al (2010). Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008: GLOBOCAN 2008. Int J Cancer, 127, 2893-917. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25516
- Herrmann C (1997). International experiences with the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale--a review of validation data and clinical results. J Psychosom Res, 42, 17-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3999(96)00216-4
- Hofstede G (2001). Culture consequences: Comparing values, behaviors, institutions, and organizations across the nations, Thousand Oaks, CA, Sage Publications.
- Ibbotson T, Maguire P, Selby P, et al (1994). Screening for anxiety and depression in cancer patients: the effects of disease and treatment. Eur J Cancer, 30, 37-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0959-8049(05)80015-2
- Ip WY, Martin CR (2006). The Chinese version of the multidimensional health locus of control scale form C in pregnancy. J Psychosom Res, 61, 821-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychores.2006.08.011
- Koenig HG, Larson DB, Larson SS (2001). Religion and coping with serious medical illness. Ann Pharmacother, 35, 352-9. https://doi.org/10.1345/aph.10215
- Levenson H (1981). Differentiating among internality, powerful others, and chance. in 'research with the locus of control construct', eds academic press, New York, 15-63.
- Luszczynska A, Schwarzer R (2005). Multidimensional health locus of control: comments on the construct and its measurement. J Health Psychol, 10, 633-42. https://doi.org/10.1177/1359105305055307
- Massie M J, Lloyd-Williams M, Irving G, et al (2011). The prevalence of depression in peopole with cancer. in 'depression and cancer', Eds John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, Singapore, 1-36
- Massie MJ, Lloyd-Williams M, Irving G, et al (2011). The Prevalence of Depression in People with Cancer. In 'Depression and Cancer', Eds John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, Singapore, 1-36
- Montazeri A, Jarvandi S, Haghighat S, et al (2001). Anxiety and depression in breast cancer patients before and after participation in a cancer support group. Patient Educ Couns, 45, 195-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0738-3991(01)00121-5
- Morowatisharifabad MA, Mahmoodabad SS, Baghianimoghadam MH, et al (2010). Relationships between locus of control and adherence to diabetes regimen in a sample of Iranians. Int J Diabetes Dev Ctries, 30, 27-32. https://doi.org/10.4103/0973-3930.60009
- Naus MJ, Price EC, Peter MP (2005). The moderating effects of anxiety and breast cancer locus of control on depression. J Health Psychol, 10, 687-94. https://doi.org/10.1177/1359105305055324
- Nazlican E, Akbaba M, Okyay RA (2012). Evaluation of depression in newly diagnosed breast cancer cases in Hatay province of Turkey in 2011. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 2557-61. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.6.2557
- Nunnally J C 1967. Psychometric Theory, New York, McGraw-Hill.
- O'Hea EL, Moon S, Grothe KB, et al (2009). The interaction of locus of control, self-efficacy, and outcome expectancy in relation to HbA1c in medically underserved individuals with type 2 diabetes. J Behav Med, 32, 106-17. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10865-008-9188-x
- Osborne RH, Elsworth GR, Hopper JL (2003). Age-specific norms and determinants of anxiety and depression in 731 women with breast cancer recruited through a population-based cancer registry. Eur J Cancer, 39, 755-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0959-8049(02)00814-6
- Pan XF, Fei MD, Zhang KY, et al (2013). Psychopathological profile of women with breast cancer based on the symptom checklist-90-R. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6579-84. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6579
- Rahmah H, Hatthakit U, Chunuan S (2008). Religiosity and health status in middle aged male muslims in Indonesia. Thai J Nurs Res, 12, 220-30.
- Rotter JB (1966). Generalized expectancies for internal versus external control of reinforcement. Psychol Monogr, 80, 1-28.
- Schmitt N (1996). Uses and Abuses of Coefficients Alpha. Psychological Assessment, 8, 350-3. https://doi.org/10.1037/1040-35188.8.131.520
- So WK, Marsh G, Ling WM, et al (2010). Anxiety, depression and quality of life among Chinese breast cancer patients during adjuvant therapy. Eur J Oncol Nurs, 14, 17-22.
- Wallston KA, Wallston BS (1981). Health locus of control scales. In 'Research with the locus of control construct', Eds Academic Press, New York, 189-241
- Wallston KA, Malcarne VL, Flores L, et al (1999). Does God determine your health? the god locus of health control scale. Cognitive Ther Res, 23, 131-42. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1018723010685
- Wallston KA, Stein MJ, Smith CA (1994). Form C of the MHLC scales: a condition-specific measure of locus of control. J Pers Assess, 63, 534-53. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327752jpa6303_10
- Wallston KA, Wallston BS (1982). Who is responsible for your health: The construct of health locus of control. In 'Social psychology of health and illness', Eds Lawrence Erlbaum & Associates, Hillsdale, N.J, 65-95
- Wang X, Wang SS, Peng RJ, et al (2012). Interaction of coping styles and psychological stress on anxious and depressive symptoms in Chinese breast cancer patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1645-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.4.1645
- Watson M, Pruyn J, Greer S, et al (1990). Locus of control and adjustment to cancer. Psychol Rep, 66, 39-48. https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.19184.108.40.206
- Wrightson KJ, Wardle J (1997). Cultural variation in health locus of control. Ethn Health, 2, 13-20. https://doi.org/10.1080/13557858.1997.9961811
- Zabora J, BrintzenhofeSzoc K, Curbow B, et al (2001). The prevalence of psychological distress by cancer site. Psychooncology, 10, 19-28. https://doi.org/10.1002/1099-1611(200101/02)10:1<19::AID-PON501>3.0.CO;2-6
- Zainal NZ, Nik-Jaafar NR, Baharudin A, et al (2013). Prevalence of depression in breast cancer survivors: a systematic review of observational studies. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2649-56. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.4.2649
- Zigmond AS, Snaith RP (1983). The hospital anxiety and depression scale. Acta Psychiatr Scand, 67, 361-70. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0447.1983.tb09716.x
- Risk of Breast Cancer in Relation to Reproductive Factors in North-west of Iran, 2013-2014 vol.16, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.2.451
- Health Promoting Behavior and Influencing Factors in Iranian Breast Cancer Survivors vol.16, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.5.1729
- Forming a Stress Management and Health Promotion Program for Women Undergoing Chemotherapy for Breast Cancer vol.15, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1177/1534735415598225
- External locus of control and quality of life among Malaysian breast cancer patients: The mediating role of coping strategies vol.35, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/07347332.2017.1308984
- Health Locus of Control, Psychosocial/Spiritual Well-Being and Death Anxiety among Advanced-Stage Cancer Patients pp.0974-9861, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12646-017-0385-y