- Volume 15 Issue 21
DOI QR Code
Caring for Patients with Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma in Japan: Evaluation of a Palliative Care Educational Program
- Nagamatsu, Yasuko (St. Luke's International University, College of Nursing) ;
- Nakayama, Yukiko (Koshikawa Hospital) ;
- Clayson, Helen (Centre for the Social History of Health and Healthcare, Glasgow Caledonian University and University of Strathclyde) ;
- Natori, Yuji (Hirano-Kameido-Himawari-Clinic) ;
- Ohata, Misato (St. Luke's International Hospital) ;
- Matsuura-Moriguchi, Shino (Department of Nursing, Faculty of Human Sciences, Sophia University) ;
- Porter, Sarah E. (Oregon Health & Science University, School of Nursing)
- Published : 2014.11.28
Purpose: This study evaluated the effect of an Educational Program on Palliative Care for MPM for Nurses in Japan. Program: The 5-h program consisted of lectures and care planning group work. Materials and Methods: This study used a pretest-posttest design with a single cohort of nurses and included a Difficulties in Palliative Care for Patients with MPM (DPCMPM) Scale with 15 items. The pre- and posttest scores were compared using a t-test. Results: We included 27 female nurses with a mean of 14.4 years of nursing experience. In 12 of 15 DPCMPM items, the posttest difficulty scores were lower than the pretest scores. Participants highly evaluated the program for validity, clarity, clinical usefulness, and the facilitators. The Palliative Care for MPM Handbook for Nurses was developed as an educational tool for clinical settings. Conclusions: The Educational Program on Palliative Care for MPM for Nurses was effective in reducing nursing difficulties.
- Ibrahim N, Abou-Elela E, Darwish D (2013). Survival of mesothelioma in a palliative medical care unit in Egypt. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 739-742. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.2.739
- Japan Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (2013). Yearly changes (from 2005 to 2012) in number of deaths from mesothelioma by prefecture (20 major cities re-listed) (based on vital statistics (final data)). in Japanese. Available from URL:http://www.mhlw.go.jp/toukei/saikin/hw/jinkou/tokusyu/chuuhisyu12/dl/130905-1.pdf [Accessed Sept 14, 2014].
- Lee KH, Yoon HS, Choi SJ, Kang D (2009). Asbestos exposure and malignant mesothelioma in Korea. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 707-10.
- Lee SF, O'Connor MM, Chapman Y, Hamilton V, Francis K (2009). A very public death: dying of mesothelioma and asbestos-related lung cancer (M/ARLC) in the Latrobe Valley, Victoria, Australia. Rural Remote Health, 9, 1183.
- Lehto, RH (2014). Pleural mesothelioma: management updates and nursing initiatives to improve patient care. Nurs Res Rev, 4, 35-43.
- Lombardo B, Eyre C, (2011). Compassion fatigue: A nurse's primer. Online J Issues Nurs, 16, Manuscript 3.
- Mitsuhashi N, Toda Y (2011). The signs of nonverbal spiritual pain of end-stage cancer patient observed by palliative care unit nurses. J Nurs Res Soc Kochi Univers, 5, 3-10.
- Moore S, Darlison L, Tod AM (2010). Living with mesothelioma. A literature review. Eur J Cancer Care, 19, 458-68.
- Musk AW, Olsen N, Alfonso H, et al (2011). Predicting survival in malignant mesothelioma. Eur Respir J, 38, 1420-4. https://doi.org/10.1183/09031936.00000811
- Mutlu H, Buyukcelik A, Karaca H, et al (2013). Secondline chemotherapy versus best supportive care in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma: a retrospective study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3887-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3887
- Bianchi C, Bianchi T (2012). Malignant mesothelioma in Eastern Asia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4849-53. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.10.4849
- Avillion AE (2009). Learning styles in nursing education: Integrating teaching strategies into staff development. Hcpro Inc, Danver, pp4-12.
- Berk S, Dogan OT, Kilickap S, et al (2012). Clinical characteristics, treatment and survival outcomes in malignant mesothelioma: Eighteen years experience in Turkey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5735-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.11.5735
- Bolukbas S, Eberlein M, Fisseler-Eckhoff A, Schirren J (2013). Radical pleurectomy and chemotheration for malignant pleural mesothelioma: the outcome of incomplete resections. Lung Cancer, 81, 241-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2013.04.019
- Ceresoli GL, Zucali PA, De Vincenzo F, et al (2011). Retreatment with pemetrexed-based chemotherapy in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma. Lung Cancer, 72, 73-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2010.12.004
- Cihan, YB, Ozturk A, Arslan A, et al (2014). ERCC1 as a biological marker guiding management in malignant pleural mesothelioma. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 4117-23. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.10.4117
- Cihan YB, Ozturk A, Mutlu H (2014). Relationship between prognosis and neutrophil: lymphocyte and platelet: lymphocyte ratios in patients with malignant pleural mesotheliomas. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 2061-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.2061
- Dooley JJ, Wilson JP, Anderson VA (2010). Stress and depression of facing death: investigation of psychological symptoms in patients with mesothelioma. Aust J Psychol, 62, 160-8. https://doi.org/10.1080/00049530903510757
- Furuya S, Takahashi K, Movahed M, Jiang Y (2013). National asbestos profile of Japan based on the national asbestos profile by ILO and the WHO. Available from http://envepi.med.uoeh-u.ac.jp/aai/NAPJ/NAPJ.pdf [Accessed September 14, 2014].
- Hughes N, Arber A (2008). The lived experience of patients with pleural mesothelioma. Int J Palliat Nurs, 14, 66-71. https://doi.org/10.12968/ijpn.2008.14.2.28597
- Nagamatsu Y, Horiuchi S, Natori Y (2012). Difficulties faced by nurses in caring for patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma. J Human Care Stud, 13, 1-13.
- Nagamatsu Y, Horiuchi S, Natori Y (2012). The stages and difficulties of patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma. J Human Care Study, 12, 69-81.
- Nagamatsu Y, Natori Y, Yanai H, Horiuchi S (2014). Impact of a nursing education program about caring for patients in Japan with malignant pleural mesothelioma on nurses' knowledge, difficulties and attitude: a randomized control trial. Nurs Ed Today, 34, 1087-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2014.02.007
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network (2012). The Japan lung cancer society translated. NCCN Clinical Practice Guideline in Oncology (NCCN GuidelinesTM) Malignant Pleural MesotheliomaVersion2. 2012. in Japanese. Available from http://www.nccn.org/international/international_adaptations.aspx [Accessed Jul 2, 2014].
- Neumann V, Loseke S, Nowak D, Herth FJ, Tannapfel A (2013). Malignant pleural mesothelioma: incidence, etiology, diagnosis, treatment, and occupational health. Dtsch Arztebl Int, 110, 319-26.
- Sakashita E (2008). Analysis of the psychological barriers of nurses in taking care of terminal cancer patients. Bull Ehime Prefectural Univers Health Sci, 5, 25-31.
- Scherpereel A, Astoul P, Baas P, et al (2010). Guidelines of the european respiratory society and european society of thoracic surgeons for the management of malignant pleural mesothelioma. Eur Respir J, 35, 479-95. https://doi.org/10.1183/09031936.00063109
- Tilleman TR, Richards WG, Zellos L, et al (2009). Extrapleural pnuemonectomy followed by intracavitary intraoperative hyperthermic cisplatin with pharmacologic cytoprotection for treatment of malignant pleural mesothelioma: a phase II prospective study. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg, 138, 405-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtcvs.2009.02.046
- Utkan G, Urun Y, Cangir AK, et al (2013). Clinicopathological features of patients with malignant mesothelioma in a multicenter, case-control study: no role for ABO-Rh blood groups. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 249-53. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.1.249
- van Zandwijk N, Clarke C, Henderson D et al (2013). Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of malignant pleural mesothelioma. J Thorac Dis, 5, 254-307.
- World Health Organization (2014). Elimination of asbestos-related diseases fact sheet. Available form http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs343/en/ [Accessed Sep 14, 2014].
- Yip CS, Koong HN, Loo CM, Fong KW (2011). Malignant pleural mesothelioma in Singapore. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1155-9.
- Evaluation of Managerial Needs for Palliative Care Centers: Perspectives of Medical Directors vol.16, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.11.4653
- Symptom burden in mesothelioma patients admitted to home palliative care vol.32, pp.12, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1080/03007995.2016.1226165