- Volume 18 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
SB-MAC : Energy efficient Sink node Based MAC protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks
무선 센서 네트워크 에서 에너지 효율적인 싱크노드 기반 MAC 프로토콜
- Received : 2013.09.13
- Accepted : 2013.10.11
- Published : 2014.01.31
In this paper, we propose an energy efficient sink node based MAC protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks (WSNs). The proposed sink node-based MAC (SB-MAC) protocol uses a RB(rapid beacon) frame to save sender's energy consumption and to reduce transmission delay. The RB frame is a modified IEEE 802.15.4 beacon frame. The RB frame contains the length of the sender nodes data. Using this information other nodes except sender and receiver nodes can be stay sleep mode long time to reduce energy consumption. Results have shown that the SB-MAC protocol outperformed other protocols like X-MAC and RI-MAC in terms of packet delivery delay and energy consumption. The SB-MAC protocol is especially energy efficient for the networks with one sink node and many senders.
Energy Efficiency;delay;MAC protocol;Wireless Sensor Networks
- P. Huang, L. Xiao, S. Soltani, M. Mutka, & N. Xi, "The evolution of MAC protocols in wireless sensor networks: A survey," Communications Surveys & Tutorials, IEEE vol.15 , Issue 1, pp. 101-120, 2012.
- Wen-Zhan Songa, Renjie Huanga, Behrooz Shirazi, and Richard LaHusen, "TreeMAC: Localized TDMA MAC protocol for real-time high-data-rate sensor networks," Pervasive and Mobile Computing, vol. 5, Issue 6, pp. 750-765, December 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmcj.2009.07.004
- W. Ye, J. Heidemann, and D. Estrin. "An energy-efficient MAC protocol for wireless sensor networks," in Proc. INFOCOM, pp. 1567-1576, 2002.
- T. van Dam and K. Langendoen, "An adaptive energyefficient MAC protocol for wireless sensor networks," in Proc. SenSys, pp. 171-180, 2003.
- J. Polastre, J. Hill, and D. Culler, "Versatile Low Power Media Access for Wireless Sensor Networks," ACM SenSys '04, Baltimore, Maryland, USA, pp. 95-107, November 2004.
- Michael Buettner, Gary V. Yee, Eric Anderson, Richard Han. "X-MAC: a short preamble MAC protocol for dutycycled wireless sensor networks," ACM SenSys '06, pp. 307-320, October 2006.
- Yanjun Sun, Omer Gurewitz, David B. Johnson, "RI-MAC: a receiver-initiated asynchronous duty cycle MAC protocol for dynamic traffic loads in wireless sensor networks" ACM SenSys '08, pp. 1-14, November 2008.
- S.C. Kim, J.H. Jeon, H.J. Park, "Energy Efficient Data transmission Mechanism in Wireless Sensor Networks," ICFICE 2013, LNEE vol. 235, pp 845-852, Springer, 2013.
- S. C. Kim, J.H. Jeon, H.J. Park, "QoS Aware Energy- Efficient (QAEE) MAC Protocol for Energy Harvesting Wireless Sensor Networks," Convergence and Hybrid Information Technology 2012, LNCS, vol. 7425, pp. 41-48, Springer, 2012.
- S. C. Kim, J.H. Jeon, "EEPB-MAC: Energy Efficient & Priority-Based MAC Protocol for Energy Harvesting Wireless Sensor Networks," in Journal of Korea Institute of Information and Communication Engineering, vol 17, no 3, 2013.
- Jeong-Yeob Oak, Young-June Choi, and Wooguil Pak, "EP-MAC: Early Preamble MAC To Achieve Low Delay And Energy Consumption In Duty Cycle Based Asynchronous Wireless Sensor Networks," KSII Transactions on Internet and Information Systems (TIIS) vol. 6, No.11, pp. 2980-2991, 2012. https://doi.org/10.3837/tiis.2012.10.013
Supported by : 상명대학교