- Volume 19 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Correctional Policy through Comparison of Juvenile Delinquents and Normal Adolescents: Focusing on Self-esteem and Sociality
비행청소년과 일반청소년의 비교를 통한 교정정책연구 -자아존중감과 사회성을 중심으로-
- Lee, Duk-Nam (Dept. of Social Welfare, Chosun College of Science & Technology)
- 이덕남 (조선이공대학교 사회복지학과)
- Received : 2013.11.05
- Accepted : 2013.12.12
- Published : 2014.01.29
This study conducted a comparison analysis of the differences by scope between juvenile delinquents, under sentence of juvenile protective disposition, and normal middle high school boys' self-esteem and sociality; it aims to search for the correctional policy to prevent juvenile delinquency. I conducted a survey, as a sampling target, of students (84) at Daedeok Juvenile Reformatory, located in Daejeon-si, Korea, and the normal middle high school boys (230). The results of analysis showed that in the analysis of self-esteem difference, juvenile delinquents were found high in the global self-esteem and school-academic self-esteem, but the normal adolescents were found high only in the scope of family-parents self-esteem. In leadership, a subordinate scope of sociality, juvenile delinquents showed the high result, and in independence and cooperativity, normal adolescents were found high. In conclusion, as the distinction between self-esteem and sociality is different by scope, depending on the individual's characteristic and environment, it suggests that the correctional policy through the customized plan is effective at preventing delinquency.
- Rosenberg, F.R., and M. Rosenberg, "Selfesteem and Delinquency," Journal of Yoth and Adolescence. 1978.
- Fitts, W. & Hammer, W., "Theself-concept and Delinquency," Nashvile : Mental Health Center(Research Monograph No.I). 1969.
- Hewitt, J., "Social Stratification and Deviant Behavior," New York : Random House. 1970.
- Mun Ae-sun, "A Study on Sociality and Self-esteem of Structural Broken Family Children," a master's thesis, Tamna Graduate School of Business Administration, 2006.
- Marx, R. W., & P.H. Winnie, "Construct inerpretations of three self-concept inventories," American Education Research Journal, 15, pp. 99-109, 1978. https://doi.org/10.3102/00028312015001099
- Harter, S., "The perceived competence scale for children," Child Development, 53, pp. 87-97, 1982. https://doi.org/10.2307/1129640
- Shavelson, R.J., & R. Bolus, "Self-concept:The interplay of theory and method," Journal of Educational Psychology, 74, pp. 3-17, 1982. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06188.8.131.52
- Ministry of Gender Equality and Family, "A Juvenile White Paper," Ministry of Gender Equality and Family, www.mogef.go.kr, pp. 336-383, 2012.
- Jo Han-il, "A Study on the Effect of Juvenile Humanity Education Program-Relations with Self-esteem․Self-expression․Sociality," a master' thesis, Kongju National University Graduate School of Education, 2006.
- Jeong Myeong-sil.Kim Jeong-suk.Wee Hwi, "A Workbook on Human Relations and Communication," Sungshin Women's University press, 2011.
- Kang Seo-young, "Influence of Child Self-respect on the development of sociality," Kyonggi University Graduate School of Social Welfare, Thesis for Master's degree, pp. 15-20, 2010.
- Kim Jun-ho, "Theory of Juvenile Delinquency," second edition, Chongmok Publishing Company 30, 2009.
- Baek Hye-jeong.Hwang Hye-jeong, "A Study on the Effects of Parents-related Variables and Self-related Variables on the Elementary School Students' Problematic Behaviors," Korean Psychologic Development Study, 19(3), pp. 1-27, 2006.
- Kim Gyeong-sik.Lee Hyeon-cheol, "The Impact Factors Related to Juvenile Delinquency," Educational Sociology Studies, 17(2), pp. 1-22, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1080/09620210701433589
- Choi Kwang-sik, "The Effect of an Anger-Controlling Program of Reducing Anger and Aggression of Juvenile Delinquents," Majored in Counseling Psychology Graduate School of Education. Keimyung University, 2000.
- Kim Song-ja, "The Relation between Elementary School Student's Self-esteem and Siociality and School Adoption," Keimyung University Graduate School of Education, Thesis for Master's degree, 2005.
- Kaplan, "self-attitudes and Deviant Behavior," new directions for theory and research, Youth Society. 1982.
- Kim Byeong-geun, "A Study on Decision Factors of Self-esteem," a master's thesis, Pusan National University Graduate School, 1988.
- Im Jin-seop.Kim Myeong-il.Han Eun-yeong, "A Probe Study on the Factors Influencing the Aggression Levels of Juvenile Offenders - Using the Heckman Selection Model," National Youth Studies, 20(4), pp. 29-69, 2009.
- Jeong Ik-jung, "Reciprocal Relationship between Self-esteem and Juvenile Delinquency," Social Welfare Studies, 36, pp. 33-159, 2006.
- Lee Gyeong-nim, "The Effects of Attachment, Self-Esteem and Impulse Control on Adolescent Delinquency," Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, 40(8), pp. 191-206, 2002.
- Jin Hye-min.Park Byeong-seon.Bae Seong-woo, "The impact of informal Labeling, Self-esteem, Depression, and Aggression on Juvenile Delinquency-Focusing on Path Analysis," Youth Welfare Studies, 13(2), pp. 121-148, 2011.
- Coopersmith, S., "The antecedents of self-esteen," San Francisco W.H, Feeman. 1967.
- Rosenberg, M., "Conceiving the self," New York: Basic Books, 1979.
- Piers, E. V., "Revised manual for the Piers-Hariris children's self-concept scale," LosAngeles: Western Psychological SErvieces, 1985.
- Choi Bo-ga.Jeon Gwi-yeon, "A Study on the Development of the Self-Esteem Scale," (I), Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, 1(2), pp. 42-46, 1993.
- Coopersmith, S., "self-esteem inventorise, Palo Alto," CA:Consulting Psychologists Press. 1981.
- Coopersmith, stated that self-esteem was measured by sum of points of subordinate measurements such as 'general ego, social ego, home-parents ego, academic ego.' 1967.
- Harter, S., "Developmental perspectives on the self-system," In E. M. Hetherington(ED), Handbook of child psychology : Vol. 4. Socialization, personality, and social development(4thed.), NewYork : Wiley, pp. 275-385, 1983.
- Pope, A.W., McChale S.M., & Craighead W.E., "self-esteem enhancement with childern and adolescents," New York, Pergamon Press. 1988.
- Lee Jong-seung, "A Handbook of Middle School Recent Personality Emotion Diagnostic Inventory," Korean Testing Center, 1999.
- Seong Mi-ok, "A Study on the Development and the Effect of Praise Program for Improvement of Elementary School Students' Self-esteem and School Life Satisfaction," a master's thesis, Seoul National University of Education, 2003.
- Lee Ae-ryeong, "Risk and Protective Factors of Juvenile Delinquency," a doctoral thesis, Chungbuk National Graduate School, 2004.
- An Sang-mi, "Family's Cohesiveness and Adaptability, Communication between Parents and Children, Family Conflict and Juvenile's Depression and Delinquency," a master's thesis, Chungbuk National University Graduate School, 2006.
- Choi Su-yeon, "he Effects of Seat Disposition through Sociometric Method on the Change of School Life Attitude and Peer Relations," a master's thesis, Gwangju National University Graduate School of Education, 2008.
- Merten, D. E., Visibility and vulnerability: Responses to rejection by nonagressive junior high school boys. Journal of Early Adolescence, 16, 5-26, pp. 1996. https://doi.org/10.1177/0272431696016001001