- Volume 30 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Taxonomic Studies on Three Caeneressa Species (Lepidoptera: Syntominae) from India with Special Reference to Their External Genitalia
- Kirti, Jagbir Singh (Department of Zoology and Environmental Sciences, Punjabi University) ;
- Singh, Navneet (Zoological Survey of India, Gangetic Plains Regional Centre, Bahadurpur Housing Colony) ;
- Joshi, Rahul (Department of Agriculture, Baba Farid College, BFGI)
- Received : 2013.05.21
- Accepted : 2013.12.17
- Published : 2014.01.31
Caeneressa diaphana muirheadi (Felder) and Caeneressa brithyris (Druce) have been recorded for the first time from India. Further, a new combination viz. Caeneressa melaena (Walker) comb. nov., has also been proposed on the basis of external genitalic features. With these records, genus Caeneressa will be represented by five species from India, Caeneressa diaphana (Kollar), Caeneressa diaphana muirheadi (Felder), Caeneressa brithyris (Druce), Caeneressa melaena (Hampson) and Caeneressa swinhoei (Leech). The studied material was collected from North-Eastern states of India. Caeneressa brithyris (Druce) was collected near riverside at low altitude whereas the other two species were collected at high altitude.
- Comstock JH, 1918. The wings of insects: an exposition of the uniform terminology of the wing veins of insects and a discussion of the more general characteristics of the wings of the several orders of insects. Comstock Publishing Co., Ithaca, New York, pp. 1-430.
- Druce H, 1898. Description of some new species of Heterocera. The Annals and Magazine of Natural History, London, 1: 146-149.
- Felder C, Felder R, 1862. Observationes de Lepidoteris nonullis Chinae centralis et Japoniae. Wiener Entomologische Monatschrift, 6:33-40.
- Hampson GF, 1898. Catalogue of the Lepidoptera Phalaenae in the collection of the British Museum, Syntomidae. Taylor and Francis Ltd., London, pp. 1-559.
- Holloway JD, 1988. The moths of Borneo: family Arctiidae, subfamilies Syntominae, Euchromiinae Arctiinae; Noctuidae misplaced in Arctiidae (Camptoloma, Aganainae). Southdene, Kuala Lumpur, pp. 1-101.
- Klots AB, 1970. Lepidoptera. In: Taxonomist's glossary of geni- talia in insects (Ed., Tuxen SL). Munksgaard, Copenhagen, pp. 115-130.
- Moore F, 1871. Descriptions of some new insects collected by Dr. Anderson during the expedition to Yunan. Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London, 1871:244-249.
- Obraztsov NS, 1957. The Chinese Caeneressa species (Lepidoptera, Ctenuchidae). Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College, 116:389-436.
- Walker F, 1854. List of the specimens of lepidopterous insects in the collection of the British Museum. Edward Newman, London, pp. 1-278.