- Volume 49 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Ductility of concrete slabs reinforced with low-ductility welded wire fabric and steel fibers
- Tuladhar, Rabin (School of Engineering and Physical Sciences, James Cook University) ;
- Lancini, Benjamin J. (GHD)
- Received : 2011.11.16
- Accepted : 2013.12.27
- Published : 2014.02.25
The use of low-ductility welded wire fabric (WWF) as a main tensile reinforcement in concrete slabs compromises the ductility of concrete structures. Lower ductility in concrete structures can lead to brittle and catastrophic failure of the structures. This paper presents the experimental study carried out on eight simply supported one-way slabs to study the structural behavior of concrete slabs reinforced with low-ductility WWF and steel fibers. The different types of steel fibers used were crimped fiber, hooked-end fiber and twincone fiber. The experimental results show that the ductility behavior of the slab specimens with low-ductility reinforcement was significantly improved with the inclusion of
- Falkner, H. and Teutsch, M. (1993), Comparative Investigations of Plain and Steel Fibre Reinforced Industrial Ground Slabs, Institut Fur Baustoffe, Massivbau and Brandschutz, Technical University of Brunswick, Germany.
- Lok, T.S. and Pei, S.J. (1998), "Flexural behaviour of steel fiber reinforced concrete", J. Mater. Civil Eng., 10, 86-97. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0899-1561(1998)10:2(86)
- CIA (2003), Fibers in Concrete: Current Practice Note 35, Concrete Institute of Australia, Australia.
- Roesler, J.R., Lange, D.A., Altoubat, S.A., Rieder, K.A. and Ulreich, G.R. (2004), "Fracture of plain and fiber-reinforced concrete slabs under monotonic loading", J. Mater. Civil Eng., ASCE, 16, 452-460. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0899-1561(2004)16:5(452)
- Khaloo, A.R. and Afshari, M. (2005), "Flexural behaviour of small steel fiber reinforced concrete slabs", Cement Concrete Compos., 27, 141-149. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconcomp.2004.03.004
- Falkner, H., Huang, Z. and Teutsch, M. (1995), "Comparative study of plain and steel fiber reinforced concrete ground slabs", Concrete Int., 17(1), 45-51.
- Smith, S.T. and Gilbert, R.I. (2003), "Tests on RC slabs reinforced with 500 MPa welded wire fabric", Austr. J. Civil Eng., 1(1), 69-75.
- Patrick, M. (2005), "Safe design of slabs incorporating class L mesh: latest design advice about AS3600", SRIA Technical Paper, 23-27.
- Gilbert, R.J. and Smith, S.T. (2006), "Strain localization and its impact on the ductility of reinforced concrete slabs containing 500 MPa reinforcement", Adv. Struct. Eng., 9(1), 117-127. https://doi.org/10.1260/136943306776232837
- Gilbert, R.I. and Sakka, Z.I. (2007), "Effect of reinforcement type on the ductility of suspended reinforced concrete slabs", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 133(6), 834-843. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2007)133:6(834)
- Gilbert, R.I. (2009), "Restrictions on the use of Class L reinforcement in AS3600-2009", Concrete Australia, 35(3), 31- 36.
- Foster, S. and Kilpatrick, A. (2008), "The use of low ductility welded wire mesh in the design of suspended reinforced concrete slabs", Austr. J. Struct. Eng., 8(3), 237-248. https://doi.org/10.1080/13287982.2008.11465001
- AS/NZS 4671 (2001), Steel reinforcing materials, Standards Australia/ Standard New Zealand, Sydney.
- Warner, R.F., Rangan, B.V., Hall, A.S. and Faulkes, K.A. (1998), Concrete Structures, Longman, Melbourne, Australia.
- AS3600 (2009), Concrete structures, Standards Australia, Sydney.
- Kilver, J. (2004), Ductility Requirements for Reinforced Concrete Structures, Institut fur Massivbau and Baustofftechnologie, Universitat Leipzig, LACER No. 9.
- AS1012.9 (1999), Methods of testing concrete: Determination of the compressive strength of concrete specimens, Standards Australia, Sydney.
- AS1012.11 (2000), Methods of testing concrete: Determination of the modulus of rupture, Standards Australia, Sydney.
- Sakka, Z. (2009), "Impact of steel ductility on the structural behaviour and strength of RC slabs", Ph.D. Dissertation, University of New South Wales, Sydney.
- High performance fibre reinforced cement concrete slender structural walls vol.2, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/acc.2014.2.4.309
- Structural Behavior of Two-Way Slabs Reinforced with Low-Ductility WWF vol.143, pp.12, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0001902